Wheel Nut stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Nut stuck

I want to change the front brake pads on my cage but I can't get the wheels off. Every single nut is stuck and believe me I almost snapped the wheel nut cross socket thingy (sorry I can't think of the technical term for it). It feels like the bastards are welded on .

I guess I can always take it to a shop with an air socket but is there anything obvious I could be doing.

Brace..?

Turning it the wrong way ?

Spray some CRC/WD40 and stand on the thing.. or get something that will give you more leverage.

Else drive down to the garage and get them to loosen them and do them back up then go home and they should come back off easy.

Comment

Originally posted by IPIT View Post
      I want to change the front brake pads on my cage but I can't get the wheels off. Every single nut is stuck and believe me I almost snapped the wheel nut cross socket thingy (sorry I can't think of the technical term for it). It feels like the bastards are welded on .

I guess I can always take it to a shop with an air socket but is there anything obvious I could be doing.
      known as a wheel brace my friend

firstly (this is not a piss pull joke or anything either) is it a VN-VS commodore , they are a bit notorious for this.
      1)CRC, WD40, Penetrene or similar spray generously (avoid brake rotors), wait 10mins (full ten mins give it time to work, eve roll the car foward and re-spray to allow it to seep in from what is now the top and what was the bottom)

2)use an impact socket with a long breaker bar (400mm might do it, if not the daddy 500mm is your puppy)

3)if steps 1 and two fail, jack the wheel up so it is just off the ground and "hammer" the nut once with an appropriate tool - if you dont have much an undersized socket will do (cheaper the better - dont wanna fuck the socket up too much), this precussion might be enought to allow you to break tension on the nut.

4)if 1,2 & 3 fail, pay some poor prick to do it

whats you location out of interest?
      "Redlines are merely suggestions"
      "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

Got a shotgun? Seems it's the new fashion in wheel nut removal technology.
        Originally posted by zobo
        I'd be more prolific in answering but I thought of a use for the othe

Comment

Depending on how bored and or desperate you are ... I have a air gun that would prolly move it .. I just wont promise it might not break.

But then .. you'd be the one doing it so
          Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

my dad's got this stuff called "break-away"

that stuff will unlock anything. he sprayed them on my old car's bonnet hinges to quieten the squeak - it freed it up so much the bonnet wouldn't stay up anymore!!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
              Got a shotgun? Seems it's the new fashion in wheel nut removal technology.
              +1 on the shotgun
              Originally posted by kyliejane
              benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
              Originally posted by harns
              Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Thanks guys!! Yea I must admit I was having a blonde moment (wheel socket thingy??) I guess it's not a good idea to change brake pads at midnight. The shotgun approach definitely crossed my mind.

In the interest of safety (aka avoiding objects flying off) I ducked down to the friendly Bob Jane store (morley) this morning. The manager was a top bloke and happily loosened the nuts for me (there's gotta be a joke there!!).

Anyway all sorted and now I am able to stop the cage in under 2kms!
                Last edited by IPIT; 15-11-2007, 10:38 AM.

Comment

pfft, boring. go the 12-guage.

Comment

soak with crc/wd40, a couple of times.

then try until your wheelbrace breaks. stand on it if necessary. was probably the apprentice getting a bit trigger happy with a rattlegun

Comment

Shotgun used to change wheel | NEWS.com.au

Talking about this bloke?

Comment

From about arm's length, the man fired the shotgun at the wheel and was "peppered" in both legs with buckshot and debris, with some injuries as high as his chin, according to a sheriff's office report.
                        Cock.

Comment

Put some Windex on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                            Cock.
                            Originally posted by TORQ View Post
                            Put some Windex on it.

why would you do that?
                            Originally posted by kyliejane
                            benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
                            Originally posted by harns
                            Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

What? Put Windex on your cock? Desmo, explain.

Comment

Working...
                              X