36 million Americans can't drive for shit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 million Americans can't drive for shit

Posted on SA (not by me) and I thought some of you may be interested in this:

36 million drivers would flunk drivers tests - CNN.com

Is it just your imagination, or do many of your fellow motorists lack even a rudimentary grasp of traffic laws?

Well, if a test administered by GMAC Insurance is any indication, one in six people cruising our highways and byways -- roughly 36 million licensed drivers -- would flunk their driver's test if they had to take it today. Not only that, but based on the 2007 GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test data the state with the most road-going dummies is New York, while the most knowledgeable ones are out West to Idaho.

"The results were pretty eye-opening to us," says Gary Kusumi, president and CEO of GMAC Insurance Personal Lines. "Not only did they indicate that there are wide differences in terms of state scores, but there were significant trends that demonstrated the general public might have forgotten must-know items from when they first took their driver's test."

"Two questions consistently sent respondents skidding into the weeds," Kusumi notes. The first has to do with the correct action to take when approaching a steady yellow traffic light (Answer: Stop if it is safe to do so.). A whopping 84 percent of respondents spun their wheels on that one. The next biggest puzzler after that question had to do with the proper following distance from a car in front of you (Answer: Two seconds).

Also of interest from the GMAC Insurance test:

• Drivers 35 and older were more likely to pass

• Illinois, Georgia, Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Massachusetts were the least knowledgeable states overall, with average scores under 75 percent

• Fifty-five percent of the respondents didn't know how many feet before making a left or right turn to activate their turn signals

• The national average score was 77.1 percent

"We believe that the adoption of a uniform driver curriculum will significantly improve the driving skills of Americans," says Adele Kristiansson, a spokesperson for the National Road Safety Foundation. "Some states do not require mandatory education for novice drivers, and some states require it," adds Kristiansson. "My organization is concerned because driver education is an orphaned child and it's suffering."

On the Web at www.nationalroadsafety.org, and offering free programs to the public, the National Road Safety Foundation was created in 1961 by Fraydun Manocherian, after two youthful friends were killed in automobile accidents in Westchester County, New York.

According to GMAC Insurance, 18 percent of respondents failed its National Driving Test in 2007, compared with 9 percent in 2006. The test can be taken online at GMAC Insurance - Great rates on auto insurance, RV insurance, homeowners insurance, and more.

The following state rankings were released for the 2007 GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test:

1. Idaho.
    2. Alaska
    3. Minnesota
    4. Wisconsin
    5. Kansas
    6. Washington
    7. South Dakota
    8. Montana
    9. Oregon
    10. Iowa
    11. Nebraska
    12. Wyoming
    13. Oklahoma
    13. Indiana
    13. North Carolina
    16. New Mexico
    17. North Dakota
    18. Missouri
    19. Delaware
    19. Nevada
    21.Vermont
    22. California
    23. Hawaii
    24. Texas
    25. Maryland
    25.Alabama
    27. Arkansas
    28. Michigan
    29. Kentucky
    30. Utah
    31. Ohio
    31.Colorado
    33. South Carolina
    33.Arizona
    33. Florida
    36. Maine
    37. New Hampshire
    37. Mississippi
    37. Tennessee
    40. Connecticut
    41. Virginia
    41. Louisiana
    43. West Virginia
    44. Georgia
    45. Illinois
    46. Pennsylvania
    47. Rhode Island
    48. Massachusetts
    48. District of Columbia
    48. New Jersey
    51. New York
    I wonder, if a similar 'quiz' was run here in Wait Awhile, how bad the results would be? I'd wager that 50% of Perth road users would fail.

Only 50%?
    Originally posted by zobo
    I'd be more prolific in answering but I thought of a use for the othe

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
      Only 50%?
      Yeah I'm a cynical bastard aren't I.

Comment

Actually i was thinking it'd be closer to 75%.
        Originally posted by zobo
        I'd be more prolific in answering but I thought of a use for the othe

Comment

Working...
        X