X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worlds tallest building

In (suprise, suprise) Dubai.

Burj Dubai Skyscraper
    When finished, it'll be over 800m (.8 of a km) tall.

Can't wait to see the first base jum off it!

And there is a bigger one due to start building next year - "Al Burj" - also in Dubai. That one is supposedly 1,000m tall.
    "It's just a motorcyle race" - Mick Doohan, post-race press conference, Phillip Island.

jeebus that's a big building
    Originally posted by kyliejane
    benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
    Originally posted by harns
    Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kwakas View Post
      jeebus that's a big building
      And there is still another 250m to go on top!
      "It's just a motorcyle race" - Mick Doohan, post-race press conference, Phillip Island.

Comment

You reckon it's because they have to make up for wearing dresses?

Comment

more a case of: A LOT of dollars, not much sense.

Comment

Wow I didn't really realise how tall it was until you look at the crane and buildings at the bottom of the photo. That is ridiculous!

Comment

Yeah, seen a doco on the constructin of it.. somewhere there is a wall like 2m thick, cos one guy fucked up

Comment

Burj Dubai Official Website

site has crap music but...

the skyscraper will have double deck cabs which can hold 21 people per deck.
                The elevators will also be the worlds fastest at 18m/sec (i feel sick in the elevators at QV1)
                ellE

jenius

Comment

In case of fire - here is your parachute ?

Heck i wouldn't wanna do a fire drill, no point in including stairs is there ?

Comment

Originally posted by MuNches View Post
                    In case of fire - here is your parachute ?

Heck i wouldn't wanna do a fire drill, no point in including stairs is there ?
                    Originally posted by official
                    Concrete surrounds all stairs and there is a 5,500kg capacity elevator for fire fighters and building service work. People cannot be expected to walk down 160 floors, so there are pressurized air-conditioned refuge areas approximately every 25 floors where they could wait safely or rest on there way down.

Isn't that nice of them. They have thought of everything
                    you only have to walk down them if you want or you can stay in air-con comfort
                    Last edited by De-evolve; 19-11-2007, 07:01 PM. Reason: html is being teh ghey
                    ellE

jenius

Comment

I hear there are a couple of ones up near 1km high being planned for japan.

Earthquakes, and 1km sky scrapers?

WTF.
                      No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Originally posted by sathid View Post

WTF.
                        gotta love new age materials.
                        "Redlines are merely suggestions"
                        "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

'Tis farkin huuuge. I can almost see it from where I'm sitting now, and it's miles away. It's pretty much purely a wank-fest though. The whole purpose of tall buildings is to provide extra floor space, where land is at a premium, and there's no shortage of free space out here in the desert.

Just another case of Arabs with huge egos to feed (I dgaf if you think it's racist, you're not the one putting up with their shit atm).
                          FTP

Comment

Originally posted by sathid View Post

WTF.

Not like they have a lot of choice, with their population density and geographic location
                            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Some great photos from one of the engineers on site.
                              WTB | DUBAI | Burj Dubai | 818m | 2684ft | 162 fl | U/C - Page 79 - SkyscraperCity

See pages 78 and 79

Comment

Working...
                              X