Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD vs Plasma

Need some information on the two.
    Everywhere i look on the net has different oppinions, so i thought I'd come to PSB
    TV would be used for movies, 2nd pooter screen (media center style), and consol gaming.
    Looking at getting 42"+ depending on price.

So, whats good and whats bad about each?

Fast moving action, (quality) Plasma is usually better, but on the lower end stuff they are much of a muchness.

Comment

Heard that the plasmas have a problem with burning in images but LCD's dont. Is this right?

Comment

Yeah the plasmas do get burn in, I haven't seen that on LCD's before. Are you planning on leaving a static image on the screen for a while? I don't think the new screens are as bad for screen burn.

I have 2 LCD's at home, I think they produce better colours personally but can't fault any of the family's plasma TV's either

Comment

I'm thinkning that HUD's and what not on most consol games might burn in if played for long enough.

I think the newer plasmas have burn in reductions, but id rather not risk it...

Comment

If you want to use the search function you may find a thread that I started at the beginning of the year, in regards to this question, some decent answers in there as well

Comment

i tried Stoney, but can only search for plasma

Ill have a look see on your topics now.

Comment

If you want to use it for gaming and a pc monitor, don't even consider plasma.
                It's that simple.
                Plasma will get image burn, LCD will not.

Comment

Ive been told that image burn will only occur IF the image is paused for more than 24 hours..thus burning the image in.
                  Originally posted by Red_is_Best
                  hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

we have a panasonic viera 42" and it's great for movies and HD sport. seems fine for motogp ps2 but beyond that?? it has auto shut down to avoid image burning but i try not to "test it out". i found the lcd screens too bright.

fwiw
                    q
                    bevel drive, belt drive, desmoquattro, testastretta, desmosedici....an evolution
                    -> Triumph 675, a revolution and obsession
                    __________________________________________________ _________________________

Comment

A friend worked for Sony as an install guy doing audio visual installations. He told me to avoid Plasma as it is 40 year old technology, whereas LCD is much younger and produces a better quality picture.
                      So IMHO LCD FTW.

Comment

I don't know about current generation plasmas, but the ones people I know have owned are nothing like suitable for a second PC screen given the burn in happened rather quickly, and doesn't look nice on your expensive toy. Happy with my LCD, though if it's an option I understand you get better picture quality out of projectors at the moment.

Comment

Yeah....I would go LCD...in fact Im about to go buy one soon.
                          Originally posted by Red_is_Best
                          hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

I have one of each ... the plasma wins hands down.
                            Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

the image burn issue is an old one. all new plasmas have auto shutdown to prevent that - the image must be stationary for over 24 hours to get any sort of burn on the screen. the old ones used to be a few hours (the 7 logo during the olympics did it to a lot of plasmas, but that's 7 yrs ago now).

but as said before:
                              mainly tv and movies = plasma
                              mainly gaming & PC usage = LCD

Comment

Working...
                              X