Why I can't be bothered with a saltwater aquarium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I can't be bothered with a saltwater aquarium

Went diving on the weekend, still learning to use my camera.

Recently took photos of some stuff in Desmo's tank. Now, whilst it's nice to be able to see it every time you walk through the loungeroom, it seems an awful lot of work and I am fundamentally lazy.

Jim had some lovely sun coral (I think that's what it was - pink body, bright orange tentacles).

Anyway, I recognised them from his tank when I saw them again at Rotto. Not just a clump, but a wall about 20 feet high and 10 feet wide covered in 'em. I need to get a wider lens to catch it.

"Jim, I think we're gonna need a bigger tank..."

"Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

wow. lovely colony. didn't realise sun coral would thrive in our temperate waters..

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
      wow. lovely colony. didn't realise sun coral would thrive in our temperate waters..
      :geek:

very cool pic mr *fish

Comment

Rotto's in the Leeuwin current, so temps range 18-22 degrees over the year. Some stuff obviously likes it. Don't get much hard coral or things like clownfish, though. Inshore waters have a much higher range of around 13-24 degrees through the year so you don't see so much of this stuff closer into the beach.
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

OMFG Tubastrea :drool:
          Puts my 2 colonies to shame.

Comment

but rotto is full of drunk 17 year olds. Desmo just wishes his place was
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Man i need to do a refresher course and get underwater again.

Comment

Sorry, let me elaborate.
                This corals name is Tubastrea Faulkneri, and it is one of the very few corals that are non photosynthetic.
                Most Corals have mouths, and will accept solid food, but they also have symbiotic photosynthetic zooxanthellae that also produces food fot the corals. The Tubastrea (aka sun coral) however is a filter feeder only, it's tentacles are very sticky, and it usually only feeds at night.
                You can also get black Tubastrea (Tubastrea micrantha), but it is much rarer, and branches instead of encrusts.

Comment

Oooooohhhh....

Purdy.
                  I don't suppose any of the PSB crew will be at Rotto the week before Christmas?
                  c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

This would explain why the main concentration of the colonies were actually on the ceilings of caves and under the overhangs - no light, less competition.

Comment

This thread left me wanting a refresher course in drunk 17 year olds.

Comment

This thread left me looking for tissues.

Comment

tissues for your issues
                          edit: oh jim i got a purple decoras goby the other day - u kno like a firetail cept purple. he's cool.

Tank is finally stable and all inhabitants happy. lotsa coraline startin to grow on the powerheads, and side/back glass.

Comment

I just keep staring at the picture, it's just stunning.
                            Cap'n, what sort of depth where these at?

Comment

If it's Rotto I'd say 3-10 metres...

Not too much around the island that's a whole lot deeper than that.
                              c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

Working...
                              X