Kyoto and KR this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyoto and KR this morning

So I was watching early morning news this morning and up came KR and a story about the ratification of the Kyoto Agreement.

KR was saying that he was pleased with the Kyoto outcome .. and it meant that we could participate in the conference in Bali in full later next week.

However ... he then said that as a by product of the agreement the cost of water, power, food and general household costs were going to rise.

They then flagged the possibility of a rate rise or two if inflation starts to increase ...

I feel sorry for those people with heavy loans or debt positions.

Just what I wanted to hear first thing in the morning.
    Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

It will be a good excuse to hit us with a Carbon Tax and to tax us on the output of our cars as in the uk. I wonder how much the green preferences will cost us?
    I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

Comment

Originally posted by Hewie View Post
      However ... he then said that as a by product of the agreement the cost of water, power, food and general household costs were going to rise.

They then flagged the possibility of a rate rise or two if inflation starts to increase ...

Its ok, they brought it on themselves by their own naiveity.

Comment

Yep. Being environmentally responsible is expensive. Yep. Its tough on people with loans or debts. Yep. The labour party is doing something Howard wouldnt.

But heres where it gets interesting, this is apparently the best performing Australian economy in history, surely NOW is the time for us to use some of that prosperity to restructure our lives sustainably and with greater environmental responsibility?

I think inflation as a result of Kyoto or any other environmental strategy is overplayed, and I also think Rudd is being responsible in owning up immediately to the possibility of increased costs.

He got voted in on a landslide, he always said he would do this. He has a mandate to do it. (To misappropriate a tired Liberal catchcry). He is being forthright about the downside, and preparing people for the issues which may arise. Cant get much better than that really.
        The Twitter

Comment

I agree. And rest assured interest rates will rise in Australia with our exposure to sub-prime anyway.

If it wasn't for people buying luxury items i wouldn't have a job, the reality is we live in a culture that spends beyond its means that the biggest push on interest rate not kyoto.

Comment

IIRC they are expecting to have a new agreement formulated to replace kyoto by 2012. Why ratify Kyoto and give an expected decrease by 2050? Why not simply take our own initiatives on sustainability and then become involved in the next agreement.

Vote buying, plain and simple.
            No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Originally posted by sathid View Post
              Why not simply take our own initiatives on sustainability and then become involved in the next agreement.
              It what had already been done, Kyoto failed, it's members admitted to the failure and knew they had to re-create it.

Comment

Australia contributes just over 1% of the global emissions.

The USA contributes just over 30% of the global emissions.

Who's really going to make a difference? Good ol' USA is driven by the dollar, I don't want to see Australia turn out as bottom line based.

Besides, don't look at it as things getting more expensive, look at it as you've been getting a cheaper ride previously and paying the difference with the planet. There won't be any billions if there's no Earth.
                Last edited by Taylor; 04-12-2007, 06:30 AM.
                This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Resist - Agreed he is doing exactly what he said he was going to do ... I just dont think people understood the ramifications of it all.

I dont think I once heard him say .... and when I ratify Kyoto ... cost of living will increase, which will drive inflationary factors and this could lead to rate rises

Comment

I never heard him deny it when the Liberal's said that was the case. Why should labour spruik the downside mid campaign when the Liberals were doing it for them?
                    The Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by taint View Post
                      It what had already been done, Kyoto failed, it's members admitted to the failure and knew they had to re-create it.
                      Bingo.
                      No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Hewie View Post

Just what I wanted to hear first thing in the morning.
                        Hey.... it's a Labour Government.... what more would you expect.... maybe high unemployment, strikes,,,,,,
                        However, FJ and Uncle Ho (MyFX) are 2 examples of people that dont fit this genre but fit into the forum well as well respected members.

Comment

Not denying it and standing up and actually saying it are a bit different in a political campaign.

Lab - "When I get in as PM I will ratify Kyoto"
                          Lib - "That will increase cost of living"
                          Lab - "We are unsure as to its impact in this area, we can not deny that it may have an affect on cost of living"

Lab - "When I get in as PM I will ratify Kyoto, this will increase cost of living, put upward pressure on inflation and push rates higher"

Comment

Originally posted by sathid View Post
                            Vote buying, plain and simple.
                            The election's over, mate. Noone has to buy any votes for 2.5 years.
                            Why ratify Kyoto and give an expected decrease by 2050?
                            Because it gives you a shitload more credibility if you acknowledge that Kyoto was at least a step in the right direction - witness the standing ovation yesterday. Rocking up to the discussions for Kyoto's replacement, having snubbed Kyoto entirely, and expecting to be taken seriously is...well...something Bush will probably try.
                            It is worth remembering that when a person dies, his or her funeral contributes to the Gross Domestic Product, even though they are no longer there.
                            - David James

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                              Australia contributes just over 1% of the global emissions.

The USA contributes just over 30% of the global emissions.

Who's really going to make a difference? Good ol' USA is driven by the dollar, I don't want to see Australia turn out as bottom line based.

Besides, don't look at it as things getting more expensive, look at it as you've been getting a cheaper ride previously and paying the difference with the planet. There won't be any billions if there's no Earth.
                              Agreed, but did you see the reaction of all the delegates at Bali when Australia announced we would ratify? There were spontaneous applause, and it certainly appeared to be genuine too.

Although our emissions are a pittance compared to USA et al, Australia is a respected country especially in our Asia-Pacific region. I think it is appropriate that we lead rather than say "we're not doing it unless they do it".

Comment

Working...
                              X