Beware of snakes!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of snakes!!

Just got back from Murdoch Uni Vet Hospital with one of our cats, she is a tiny little Abyssinian, weighs ~2kg ... she was bitten yesterday afternoon by a brown snake, thankfully I recognised the signs and got her to emergency asap and she is alive and should make a fully recovery ... fingers crossed!

Just want to make people out there aware of the danger not only to pets but also children, according to the vet the amount of venom in her system was enough to kill a small child (cats have a tolerance to a limited extent to some venom).

Please people beware of snakes!!

Lucky escape there, had a full grown dugite in my back yard the other week, I was actually enjoying myself watching it for a while but then again I dont have kids or pets running around that could get bitten.
    In Kazakhstan if you want sugar in your coffee you ask for Kunt

Comment

Is the snake is allright also?

Comment

Starfire, can you remember what the vets name was from Murdoch, my sister is a vet there.

Cheers
        10 metre rule - Takes the guess work out of f_cking ugly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vscorsa View Post
          Starfire, can you remember what the vets name was from Murdoch, my sister is a vet there.

Cheers
          there were a couple of vets on last night, but the one i remember was Dr Dena Rao

Comment

gotta watchout for snakes when you're riding too.. they tend to get upset when hit by a bike.. saw a massive tiger snake near dixon road on the weekend.. it was 3/4 of a lane across the road.. and it wasnt all on the road..

lucky i was in the cage with the missus.. pucker factor +10 !
            Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

Comment

lol euk

road past one at a fairly high rate of knots not to long ago only to have it turn around and arch up, my thoughts was good luck its going to be the last thing you do

and this one time at band camp stopped the bike near the beach got off to only realise right next to me was a big tiger snake.

back on topic though yes people be very careful, ive lost two dogs to snakes now and a good friend too, so whatch your step so to speak
              Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Originally posted by ~starfire~ View Post
                thankfully I recognised the signs and got her to emergency asap
                Please people beware of snakes!!
                Can i ask what the signs were?
                I have 2 cats and have never lived near the bush before, so snakes were not a real problem.

Comment

If they start shaking or frothing at the mouth youve got a problem. Or if they refuse to move and have a rediculous heart rate.
                  In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                  Its the little things that make the difference
                  Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                  If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Aphex View Post
                    If they start shaking or frothing at the mouth youve got a problem. Or if they refuse to move and have a rediculous heart rate.
                    Shit, that sounds like rabies. Best advice, put it out of its misery.

Comment

Originally posted by Havago View Post
                      Can i ask what the signs were?
                      I have 2 cats and have never lived near the bush before, so snakes were not a real problem.
                      It can depend on what type of snake, but rule of thumb is:
                      Lethargic.
                      Dilated pupils, fixed stare/unresponsive pupils & don't respond to touching around their eyes.
                      Muscle weakness, looks like they are partially paralysed, back legs tend to go first then it moves forward.
                      Drooling, lolling of the tongue.
                      Rapid pulse.
                      Laboured breathing/shallow panting.

Comment

The girlfriends turkish van (white fluffy cat) managed to find a dugite in carlisle. when she came home we had no idea what was wrong, we considered poison etc (cat haters across the road). took a faiir bit of cash and time in the vets surgery before the bite marks were found and anti-venom administered. she was revived twice. lucky lucky cat. she now has difficulty balancing and jumping. but can still scratch me wickedly!

Comment

I use to live on a 2.5 acre property with half of it being bush and then surrounded by lots more bush. Anyway, my cats use to bring in dugites regularly. A couple of times we had to take them to the vet, but they quickly developed a tolerance. Once I saw my cat holding a small dugite by the tail in its mouth while the dugite was latched onto its nose. The cat didn't seem fazed at all.

Comment

What suburb did it get bitten in?

Comment

Aww I hope she gets better soon. Which cat was it?

"Always out-numbered, never out-gunned"

Comment

Working...
                              X