Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obese should buy two plane seats - yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obese should buy two plane seats - yes or no?

Obese travellers should pay for two seats when travelling on a plane, according to voters in a new survey.
    The survey, conducted by travel company totaltravel.com, asked whether "excessively overweight" people should be forced to pay for two seats when travelling by plane. Almost two-thirds of the 2,810 respondents (63 per cent) believed obese people should be charged for an additional seat, answering that they did not want to share the seat they had paid for. Thirty five per cent were more sympathetic, voting that excessively overweight people should not be penalised for their size. Totaltravel.com global marketing manager Paul Fisher said the issue was one that resonated strongly with travellers, especially as seat space was at such a premium since the advent of low-cost carriers.
    "This is a sensitive issue for all involved and forcing obese people to pay for two tickets raises a lot of ethical and legal dilemmas," Mr Fisher said.
    "Airlines should be working out a solution to the problem, whether it is discounted second seats or specially-designed chairs for larger people."

I've been in the situation where the person next to me has been "spilling" over into my seat. I'm undecided if the purchase two seats option is viable, but, I also don't feel that the space I have paid for should be "invaded' by someone who is "weight challenged". The specially designed seat thing would not be an option I feel as the average punter squashed into "cattle class" wouldn't be happy that someone whose weight is out of control (their fault or not) was receiving extra benefits because of it.
    Anyone?

Dubs

Comment

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

2 seats

Comment

They already have to get seatbelt extensions and declare their obesity. I think it is unfair to embarass them further. Thing is - I don't think that I should pay for the seat next to them either. Which then in turn means that that is one less seat the airline can sell which will put my seat price up. It's a difficult one.

I've had an airline refuse to sell me anything but business class due to my leg... It made me furious. I swapped airlines and was given a whole row for the price of one seat. It isn't fair to charge people for things they cannot help...

I think perhaps a more fair means is that they pay for two seats if they travel at peak times and only one if they will fly flights like the red-eye which is rarely full.
        "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

I don't believe they should be charged for 2 seats, but I shouldn't pay more for my luggage when I pack my tent sleepin bag helmet leather jacket etc when campin over on the Ialand, coz I'm not obese.. coz my 35kgs of luggage and me still don't add up to some peoples weight!!!!

Comment

absolutley 100% they should pay for 2 seats. generally speaking if you're obese it's your own fault so subsequently you should pay for the seats. one exception is perhaps if it's due to a medical condition and you can't control it, but then I still think you should buy to seats but at a govt subsidesed rate.
            Originally posted by kyliejane
            benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
            Originally posted by harns
            Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

I'm a very big boy and for the most part I agree!

Genetics aside I am like this because I lack will power and eat crap and drink like a fish. Why should someone else have to be uncomfortable throught their flight because of me?

But the problem is that seat sizes are getting smaller and smaller to a point there someone only a few kg overweight is touching the person next to them. Companies need to stop being so greedy and stop trying to squeeze more and more seats into a tiny space. They also needs to make bussiness class more affordable. It is cheaper for me to pay for 2 airtickets (and get 2 motel rooms) to Bali then to get one Bussiness class seat!
              You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

2 Seats for sure. With my height I am already pretty cramped without having to sit next to some fatty whose rolls eat up half my seat and attempt to swallow my leg

Comment

Deem obese.

According to BMI, I am on the border of very overweight and obese.
                  However, I'm fairly built as used to work out at gym for several years.

I have a small pot (due to married life contentment! )but no one I know would call be fat. I fit quite nicely in an airplane seat with the only problem I have being legroom as I'm 6'3".

they would need some way of governing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Brougham View Post
                    Deem obese.

According to BMI, I am on the border of very overweight and obese.
                    However, I'm fairly built as used to work out at gym for several years.

I have a small pot (due to married life contentment! )but no one I know would call be fat. I fit quite nicely in an airplane seat with the only problem I have being legroom as I'm 6'3".

they would need some way of governing this.
                    If there is a gunt or apron, 2 seats. Most people can deal with overweight, we are talking morbidly obese

Comment

get on a charter flight , if your anything more than a anna pissant weakling weighing 75kg's you will fill your seat. Your average Qantas plane has enough space for joe average, but i do feel that off peak they should not charge extra, but peak it is only fair.
                      Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

My brother-in-law travels Business class, for seat room, how could you be comfortable on 2 seats the seat edges would fill your bum crack up, umm but maybe the really big don't feel anything

Comment

Needs more airbus A380-FattyClass

Comment

Yes for paying for 2 seats
                            I've had the displeasure of having a fat boy invade my seat with his rolls. He couldn't help it because there was just too much man for the seat. I found it particularly unsavoury when his sweaty fat was touching my arm and leg. I tried shrinking away but there was nowhere for me to go either.

I wouldn't mind if their fat just went forwards but when they intrude into the seat that I paid for then it shits me.
                            im a holding, stroking, loving machine...also spanking

Comment

As long as obese == bigger than me, it's a good idea.

Better yet, charge for total load of passenger + luggage.
                              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Working...
                              X