Rudd to plead for death row Aussies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudd to plead for death row Aussies

"Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has told Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono he will ask him to spare the lives of six Australians on death row if legal action does not stop their executions."

Didn't these people get convicted of attempting to smuggle heroin out of Bali and into Australia? Leave it Kev, they knew what they were doing and the possible penalty.

I'm interested not in the sentencing, but how fast they carry out the execution order. To the best of my knowledge the people convicted of the Bali nightclub bombings haven't had their sentence carried out yet and that was a long time ago. All these appeals makes me wonder just how hard it is for the Indonesian Government to kill someone other than news reporters.
    This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

meh. they knew the consequences. let em get what's coming to them.

drug dealing is one of the worst things around, look at the damage it does to people.

Comment

Drug Dealers don't make people buy drugs, they don't even make people take drugs for the first time, they only offer, someone has to want them before addiction to try it don't they, nobody wakes up addicted to crack.

Drug dealers sell freedom of choice. Thankyouverymuch.
        This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

fuck em all. let them die. I have zero sympathy for them or anyone else in their situation.
          Originally posted by kyliejane
          benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
          Originally posted by harns
          Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

no, fuck that. drugs are illegal. they are deliberately dealing in an illegal substance proven to cause serious brain damage, body organ failure and death.

there's no "free choice" excuses.

if there were no drugs, there'd be less problems.

if there were no drugs, there'd be no young ones peer pressured into trying them for the first tiume and getting addicted.

don't even try to tell me 100% of drug users made a logical, clear decision to use them. you've obviously never been to school...

Comment

Originally posted by Brougham View Post
              no, fuck that. drugs are illegal. they are deliberately dealing in an illegal substance proven to cause serious brain damage, body organ failure and death.
              So, the only difference between heroin and beer is that one is legal.
              such comment
              wow
              many post

Comment

Personally, I think they deserve everything they have got. They can rot in hell for all I care, in fact that would be better than killing them - leave them in that shit hole jail for life.

BUT - It is the role of the Government to assist Australian in trouble overseas in whatever way they legally can. They can not interfere with local Police or Judicial systems but they can and in fact must do what they can for Australian citizens.

Comment

alcohol in moderation has been proven to have good health benefits.

heroin in moderation has been proven to have NO health benefits.

Comment

All violent crime associated with drugs would end if you take one of two options.

First: Decriminlise
                    Second: Remove all drugs everywhere along their manufacturing equipment and seeds as well as any knowledge or experience in the creation, growth or otherwise fabrication of narcotics.

Now which is easier? It's very easy to blame the symptoms to hide from the real problem here. Yeah I went to school and yes I was offered drugs, but I was educated by my parents in the dangers of using them, so I made an educated decision to avoid them. Which I believe is better than simply yelling at children that they are bad and they can't have them because that rebellious nature inside some of those children will make them want to get some drugs to get back and mum and dad for not treating them properly, or not teaching them what correct treatment is and thereby giving them a distorted view of how they should be treated and THAT's why they are acting out and getting drugs.

My point is, if your children are correctly parented, you could let them play in a park full of needles, those kidnappers with the van and dope dealers but as it stands nobody will, I think it's a lack of confidence in their own parenting ability and their children's training as little humans.

My other point is that the presence of drug dealers ensures that no matter how much your life is controlled by the man, you still have that choice, even if you're never interested in using it. Your ability to make your own mind up about the path of your life is still yours.

Comment

Except for bouts of awesomeness

Comment

The issue here, as I see it, is that while I am willing to admit the government has a responsibility to the people, these people were caught in Bali and under their law are sentenced to death. They committed a crime, they've been tried and sentenced, leave them to their fate. How many others would have died if the plan had worked?
                        I will waste no tears on them.

Comment

I'm so glad our new leader is begging another country to spare the lives of convicted criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by 19andrew59 View Post
                            The issue here, as I see it, is that while I am willing to admit the government has a responsibility to the people, these people were caught in Bali and under their law are sentenced to death. They committed a crime, they've been tried and sentenced, leave them to their fate. How many others would have died if the plan had worked?
                            I will waste no tears on them.
                            I dont disagree with anything your saying, I just think the responsibility to offer assistance to Australian Citizens overrides our own personal views of the crimes committed.

The government can not do much about it. They will simply go to the Indo's and put forward the position that Australia is fundamentally opposed to the death penalty. They will ask the indo's to show leniency in this instance on compassionate grounds - not on any legal grounds, because we know that we wont win that argument because there is no doubt they committed the crime and have been found guilty.

Its a long shot. No question about that. Indo could very well take the view that they dont want to be seen to be pushed around by Australia, especially when our relationship has been strained in recent years because of boat people and immigration dealings.

Comment

And if I wanted to inject myself with Draino and pop rocks, why would that be any of your business?
                              such comment
                              wow
                              many post

Comment

Working...
                              X