Why People Die on the Roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why People Die on the Roads

I found this information in Hansard. It relates to road fatalities in 2006, and gives the reasons behind each one, in the opinion of the police. What I find interesting (and frustrating) is that speed, alcohol, and drugs account for 31% of the fatalities. That begs the question: Why do the Road Safety Council and WAPOL focus almost exclusively on these areas? It would be impossible to reduce the road toll by much when nearly 70% of the causes are almost ignored.

Sorry about the rant, but misinformation and misuse of resources gets me angry.

Edit: In this list, following each reason is the total number of fatalities and the percentage of the total.

Careless 100 17.50%
    Inattention 75 13.10%
    Speed 68 11.90%
    Alcohol/Speed 56 9.80%
    Fail to give way 55 9.60%
    Alcohol 45 7.90%
    Fatigue 28 4.90%
    Overtaking 23 4.00%
    Reckless 21 3.70%
    Other medical 19 3.30%
    Inexperience 13 2.30%
    Animals 10 1.70%
    Tyre blow out 9 1.60%
    Alcohol/Drugs 6 1.00%
    Road condition 6 1.00%
    Drugs 4 0.70%
    NULL 4 0.70%
    Person fell from vehicle 4 0.70%
    Turn in front 4 0.70%
    Visibility 4 0.70%
    Weather conditions 4 0.70%
    Stop sign 3 0.50%
    Contravene TCL 2 0.30%
    Heart attack 2 0.30%
    Load shift 2 0.30%
    Mechanical 2 0.30%
    Travel too close 2 0.30%
    Object through window 1 0.20%
    "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

because they are the easiest to target and it's easier (re:more profitable) to fine someone rather than educate them

Comment

That data would be better represented as a ven diagram.
      This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
        It would be better in a spreadsheet but as its copied from Hansard there is no formatting so it just goes all over the place.

I too have seen those stats and have scoffed at why the ORS continue to shove speeding down our throats when the figures quite clearly indicate driver competency is the big issue. However the ORS will come back and say that in FATAL accidents, speed is the biggest factor. Those stats are for fatal AND serious accidents from 2006 (a serious accident is where a person is injured or hospitalised, or killed). Out of 572 such reported accidents last year, 17.5% were put down to pure carelessness.

But enforcing against carelessness is not easy and doesnt generate any revenue.

Comment

I would say in all cases death on our roads is caused by a sudden stop after a collision
          Originally posted by kyliejane
          benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
          Originally posted by harns
          Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scoundrel View Post
            But enforcing against carelessness is not easy and doesnt generate any revenue.
            Exactly, the more they start to cater to the lowest common denominator the worse our situation gets because they enforce the aforementioned 3 more

Comment

In their defence I guess they see speed, drugs and alcohol as more preventable than some other causes. It's hard to prevent people from being careless and medical issues account for quite a few and obviously it's hard to see those coming... Having said that I do believe 'safe speeding' does exist and of course there is a lot of unsafe speeding also. Drugs and alcohol I think should be targetted as people are knowingly increasing their chances of driving at less than their ability when they do so under the influence.

sigpic

Comment

Easy to quantify and the key word is EASY.

"You have been speeding by 10 Km/h over the legal limit"

How do you quantify carelessness and make a machine check your carelessness level automatically?

That is the job of Police however theres not many of them around and they are all tied up pointing lasers at you.

BLAH

Comment

It's missing .30% and what the hell is null?
                  Turfierific!

Comment

Originally posted by Turfie View Post
                    It's missing .30% and what the hell is null?
                    Aliens, for both (its a coverup)

Comment

Null in this context is "Unknown".
                      Or, no witnesses.
                      This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

NULL is probably when they cant determine a cause...

Comment

What the fuck does "speed" mean? Velocity greater than 0?

Speed is not an accident cause - failing to react, not paying enough attention, or trying to exceed the performance limits of your vehicle/yourself is - "speed" is not a reason at all.

Listing "speed" is a cop out - its not a true crash cause at all.
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                            I prefer Pie

Turfierific!

Comment

Nice pie Turfie although you'll need to amend the title if the stats also includes serious injuries.

As I understand it, speed is a factor if it contributed to the accident, irrespective of the legal limit. Therefore you might be doing 50klm in a 60klm zone, but if you failed to stop from running down the jogger who stepped onto the road in front of you then speed was a factor and is recorded accordingly.

Happy to learn otherwise..

Comment

Working...
                              X