No announcement yet.

Why People Die on the Roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's the sudden stop at the end that kills ya.

Comment

^^ my point though is that the failure to react to the jogger is the problem, or trying to exceed the performance limitations of your vehicle's brakes is the problem. saying "speed" is a cop out.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
        ^^ my point though is that the failure to react to the jogger is the problem, or trying to exceed the performance limitations of your vehicle's brakes is the problem. saying "speed" is a cop out.
        100% with ya

Comment

Yes it would be nice to know how each category is defined "Careless" is pretty loose
          Turfierific!

Comment

Devil's advocate time - Something to consider:
            1. The attention they've paid to enforcement regarding speed, alcohol and drugs has contributed to this pie chart. It may (or may not, who knows) be a very different picture without this attention - eg with these three things at the top.
            2. Lower speed allows a greater reaction time when things happen, compensating somewhat for carelessness etc and improving the stats for these things. It also reduces the momentum at time of impact, reducing the consequences of an accident.

Given this and the relative ease of enforcement, it's no wonder that speed is their big target.
            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
              Devil's advocate time - Something to consider:
              1. The attention they've paid to enforcement regarding speed, alcohol and drugs has contributed to this pie chart. It may (or may not, who knows) be a very different picture without this attention - eg with these three things at the top.
              2. Lower speed allows a greater reaction time when things happen, compensating somewhat for carelessness etc and improving the stats for these things. It also reduces the momentum at time of impact, reducing the consequences of an accident.

Given this and the relative ease of enforcement, it's no wonder that speed is their big target.
              Yes

But the "woe betide what are we to do" from the state's polity and bureaucrats over the road toll basically says that they are putting the rest of it in the too hard basket.

Comment

Agreed. It can contribute - it's not an accident *cause* though.

I can do 100km/h over the limit down major roads and not hit anything (not saying I *do*, bear with me) - however if i DO hit something the root cause isn't that i was doing 200km/h. It's that i didn't react/look far enough ahead/turn in time/etc...

People do 150-200+ down the autobahn and don't automatically die due to "speed" either...

Its almost as if they had a heap of cases where the cause was undetermined, so they just put them in the "too hard" basket (speed) and use that as support for the road tax that is speed cameras....
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

yeah but unfortunately there have been studies where results have shown that DELIBERATE SPEEDING has inadvertedly caused the driver to operate said vehicle with MORE ATTENTION and diligence. Like anything oif this nature so many factors go in to the big equation.

(*I believe the figures were in the vicinity of 20-30mph, yes it was US stat...)

I'll step up and admit that i have knowingly and willingly exceeded the speed limit by those sorts of numbers and yes i was looking further ahead and generally being more "attentive" whilst doing so...
                  I mean who hasnt been out on a country ride/driven home from bunbury in the early hours of the moning?

I believe that more so, the factors are alcohol(to some extent, where there is alcohol and driving it usually occurs after some period of being out and about, hence tiredness etc comes into it), drugs(same), inexperience this ties in with driving the vehicle outside it's capabilities (been ther edone that - we were all 17 at some stage) etc

the whole "speed" label is over used.....

WSU?
                  "Redlines are merely suggestions"
                  "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

Just a handful of reasons account for 3/4 of all fatalities? EDIT: 7 reasons.

EDIT: Damn you Turfie, beat me to it.
                    Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

Hey ive got a lot of time on my hands right now
                      Turfierific!

Comment

Working...
                      X