Quinine and tonic water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quinine and tonic water

I drink tonic water straight (as well as with gin) and never really gave it much of a thought until today i decided to look up quinine's properties. ok, so it's a natural alkaloid, and was used as an anti-malerial treatment, and now sometimes used as cramp treatment and arthritis.

however, reading up on it there's quite substantial side-effects from quinine use. tonic water is supposedly limited to 25-50% of the "medical" dosage of quinine. so a couple of glasses and you're at medical dosage.

in "medical" does it's "usual" to get rashes and other side-effects and has been linked to pregancy issues and was once used as an abortive treatment. it's been linked to deaths as well from OD'ing.

so.... why isn't there any warnings on the bottles? such as not to be taken by pregnant women, or like Red Bull a recommended maximum daily usage. wonder if there's been any issues with people getting sick or dying from od'ing on tonic water?

just got me wondering who decides what's dangerous and not...

whats in tonic water these days isnt quinine. its some synthetic compound.

Comment

still lists it as quinine.

Comment

I use it naked to alleviate cramps and with gin to reduce sobriety
        I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

Comment

Have you looked into the corrosive properties of Coca Cola? THAT should have warnings.

Hows about that sweet crystaline substance we call sugar?
          In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
          Its the little things that make the difference
          Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
          If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Ever seen it under uv?

Comment

Mmmm Coca-Cola.

The Coca-Cola company uses the stuff to degrease thier fleet of trucks. The Police use it to remove blood stains from roads. I use it clean coins.

And I still drink over a litre a day.

I'm the noob you all pwn!

Comment

Originally posted by shane1 View Post

Ever seen it under uv?
                Yeah its cool. They use it a lot in Movies because of that.
                You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

Another issue is "Blackwater fever" if you drink too much.

Do we need ANOTHER useless warning sticker that says something like "Enjoy in Moderation"?
                  Dead Man's Hand
                  Internationational Porter Protection Group
                  Just call me Pat

Comment

Quinine is a anti malarial.
                    They put it in soda water for the poms to drink in Africa.
                    Hence the name "Tonic water".
                    The poms then figured out that mixing it with Gin was an altogether spiffing idea, and henceforth, the good old G&T was born.
                    You should use a slice of lime, not lemon, and add a dash of bitters.

Comment

Can you really get quinnine poisoning, and what are the effects? - Yahoo! Answers
                      I think the key problem is if we look at the ingredients of most of the shit we eat now days, we'll learn that everything is killing us.

Comment

Originally posted by FireStorm View Post
                        The Coca-Cola company uses the stuff to degrease thier fleet of trucks. The Police use it to remove blood stains from roads. I use it clean coins.
                        Urban Legends Reference Pages: Coca-Cola Acids
                        It is worth remembering that when a person dies, his or her funeral contributes to the Gross Domestic Product, even though they are no longer there.
                        - David James

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                          You should use a slice of lime, not lemon, and add a dash of bitters.
                          exactly how i make it.
                          none of that lemon crap

Comment

Originally posted by Brougham View Post
                            just got me wondering who decides what's dangerous and not...
                            The individual decides what's dangerous and what's not. That's what's beautiful about self-autonomy.

Food Standards Australia New Zealand regulates food production and safety, contaminants and labelling.
                            Originally posted by Melkor
                            The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryven View Post
                              I think the key problem is if we look at the ingredients of most of the shit we eat now days, we'll learn that everything is killing us.
                              pffft, dunno if you'd noticed, but life is killing us.

on my recent trip up north, one of the guys used to trot out the vodka and tonic over ice with a dash of lemon after work. rather nice when 40 degrees, and a bit of a break from beer
                              "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

Working...
                              X