Colonising other Planets...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonising other Planets...

OK...so me and the hubby are at odds and have agreed to disagree on this one.

He is a huge fan of colonising other planets. Thinks we need to get of this one and go for other planets in the universe.

Now...I dont TOTALLY disagree...but my biggest thing is...what right do we have to go to another planet and pollute that one...when we havent even figured out how to fix this one first?

So...do we have the right to do it? And do you think we would get it right if we did?
    Originally posted by Red_is_Best
    hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

same went for colonising other continents...

Comment

It's human nature Cols, in order for our species to survive, we actually have to get off this planet and find an inhabitable planet outside our solar system.
      If we didn't strive and fight to triumph here, we would be dead by now, it's not in our genetic buildup to giveup.
      And who cares about polluting another planet, seriously? Thats a very narcissistic view, there are literally millions of planets out there, you think we have truly ruined this one? It's just another cycle in Earths existence, if we die here, it will transform into something else.

Comment

The money spent on the space program would have already removed world hunger and sanitation problems. All those people who die because it hasn't been fixed could be helping make all our lives better. It only takes one bright idea to solve cancer or another human condition problem, just imagine if that bright idea potential is starving to death while you read this.
        This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

You need famine, death, war and pestulance.
          Without it we would all feel disenfranchised.

Comment

Well I agree that its human nature to explore Jim...but I reckon we would really stuff it up. We fight over dirt on this planet...ya reckon we wouldnt fight over another planet?

The only country at the moment who have the technology (that I know of...please correct me if Im wrong) is the USofA. Now im not a hater of the americans...but there are a heap of other countries who dont like em...and would hate to see them get to a planet first.

So...if they got to a planet first....do they own it? Imagine the shitstorm over ownership!
            hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

I disagree with this. Haven't you guys seen what happened with the Terran in StarCraft?

Comment

From some of the programs i've been watching they reckon we won't touch Mars untill 20years from now, even then the radiation on mars will be a problem.

Planets don't live forever, they eventually die, be 10+ Million years from now, earth will be gone lol

I'm for it, but I think no-way we have the technology at this stage to do it...

Anyone have Cnl. Jack O'neils number?

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                  You need famine, death, war and pestulance.
                  Without it we would all feel disenfranchised.
                  The developed world is already thrashing the third for it's 80% of the global wealth. If the worse of countries began building infrastructure to support themselves, it would only put us in a position to better wring them for money. Wouldn't change the financial pyramid, it'd just make the lowest rung better.
                  This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryven View Post
                    I disagree with this. Haven't you guys seen what happened with the Terran in StarCraft?
                    Zerg rush?
                    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

We think we're making a mess of this planet.

Okaaaaay.

Our mess is NOTHING compared to what happens if any sizeable piece of space junk comes close to Earth.

Whilst we are living on one planet, we are totally at risk of being completely wiped out by a single event.

If we colonise another planet in our solar system, it massively reduces the chance of this happening - the chance remains of course that something goes wrong with the sun.

We're happily playing a game of all the eggs in one basket - if we have the technology let's go infect another planet with humanity.
                      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Kayd View Post
                        Planets don't live forever, they eventually die, be 10+ Million years from now, earth will be gone lol

Anyone have Cnl. Jack O'neils number?
                        5 billion years left in our star and check the avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                          The money spent on the space program would have already removed world hunger and sanitation problems.
                          There's less money spent on the space program than there is spent on frozen yoghurt.
                          such comment
                          wow
                          many post

Comment

Originally posted by Cam View Post
                            There's less money spent on the space program than there is spent on frozen yoghurt.
                            Really? Todays yoghurt SUX! no real big chunks of fruit anymore....if this is true...we are all being ripped of.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastgirl View Post
                              OK...so me and the hubby are at odds and have agreed to disagree on this one.

He is a huge fan of colonising other planets. Thinks we need to get of this one and go for other planets in the universe.

Now...I dont TOTALLY disagree...but my biggest thing is...what right do we have to go to another planet and pollute that one...when we havent even figured out how to fix this one first?

So...do we have the right to do it? And do you think we would get it right if we did?
                              ROFL

What a curious, if cranial, argument to be having. Allow me to indulge myself in this little dilemma.

Humanity is but a mere blip on the evolutionary radar of the Earth. We have been here for what, 100,000 years? This old girl has been around (as a planet capable of supporting life) for 4 billion years. The Earth has seen Alpha life forms come and go, the dinosaurs are one classic example. Humans are another. Sooner or later we will either destroy ourselves through warfare, through irreversible and catastrophic climate change brought on by our own shit, or through a super-disease or famine taking advantage of a progressive genetic or evolutionary weakness. After that, the Earth will reinvent itself and some other life form may become the top of the pyramid dweller. Insects perhaps? Insects are, throughout the course of the planet's history, the most resilient life forms. Anyone who thinks that humans will still be king shit on Earth in a million years, let alone 5,000 years, is kidding themselves.

As for colonising other planets, humans being what humans are, we will explore and push the boundaries, looking for new frontiers and new challenges. Its what we do. Our ancestors did it eons ago, whether they were European explorers from the middle ages, or primitive tribesmen 50,000 years ago crossing land bridges to find new places to live and hunt and whatnot. We're curious about what's out there.

While we will never see proper colonisation of other planets in our lifetimes, or our children's lifetimes, it will happen sooner or later. Once man has mastered the technology to do it, that is, interstellar travel, he will do it, and by then he would have devised ways and means to reduce his impact and footprint on new places so that the only thing he leaves behind are his footprints.

Comment

Working...
                              X