Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Your laws don't apply to me!"

'Stolen' man defies white laws | NEWS.com.au

AN Aboriginal man fighting driving charges saying the police and the courts do not have jurisdiction over him.

Glen Angus Atkinson, 42, appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court today in face paint and traditional clothing.
    He paddled along the Yarra River in a canoe before walking the short distance to court.

Mr Atkinson was charged with driving while disqualified, driving an unregistered car and exceeding the alcohol limit after being pulled over in Belmont on October 25, last year.

Mr Atkinson said his decision to contest the case was a form of protest, despite a warning by the magistrate that he faced an uphill battle.

Outside court, he said he did not believe police had the jurisdiction to charge him.

"It is to highlight the plight of the stolen generation people who still suffer," Mr Atkinson said.

"I don't believe they have the jurisdiction to adjudicate Aboriginal people under law."

Mr Atkinson said that as a member of the Stolen Generation, he continued to suffer.

"The law maker and the law protector, being the Australian Government and the police, aid and abet together to incarcerate members of the stolen generation.
    "I have always been discriminated against."
    Mr Atkinson's case was adjourned until February.
    So apart from the traditional outfit, was it a traditional car, a traditional license he was driving without and traditional booze he was tanked on at the time?

Play that race card sir, play that card good.
    such comment
    wow
    many post

maybe we should dump his traditional arse in the middle of a traditional desert and see how he does

Comment

then, it's legal to shoot at him ? cos technically.. he's not legally a person - legally living in this country ?
      Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

Comment

Originally posted by Eukanuba View Post
        then, it's legal to shoot at him ? cos technically.. he's not legally a person - legally living in this country ?
        What, it's legal to shoot boat people on sight now?

His entire argument is retarded, trying to extend his reasoning just gets more retarded.
        It is worth remembering that when a person dies, his or her funeral contributes to the Gross Domestic Product, even though they are no longer there.
        - David James

Comment

Well, shooting him might infringe the UN charter of human rights but certainly, claiming that the laws of Australia don't apply to him suggests he doesn't want to be a citizen. In that case, I'm not sure what he was doing driving on Australian roads and contributing to Australian air pollution and putting Australian lives at risk by DUI. He may well have suffered discrimination all his life by the average white Australian but that doesn't put him above our laws. I understand, and sympathise with, the torture that white society has inflicted on Aboriginal culture historically (and may, some argue, continue today) but we can't legislate and adjudicate based on history and racial differences - all that will do is perpetuate racial inequality.

Comment

Originally posted by stuck View Post
            In that case, I'm not sure what he was doing driving on Australian roads and contributing to Australian air pollution and putting Australian lives at risk by DUI.
            Bingo. Live in society, play by society's rules. Case closed.
            It is worth remembering that when a person dies, his or her funeral contributes to the Gross Domestic Product, even though they are no longer there.
            - David James

Comment

Does this mean that health care, employment protection or welfare legislation dont apply also?
              Turfierific!

Comment

Originally posted by Juffy View Post
                Bingo. Live in society, play by society's rules. Case closed.
                Not to play devils advocate here but....

Steps
                1. Invade country
                2. Don't recognise existing people as people
                3. Set up your own laws (bypassing existing laws (see 2))
                4. When existing inhabitants choose to ignore new unapproved rules, stick them in gaol
                It's us that chose not to live in their society and ignored their rules, not the other way around. Think about it.

I can't stand the 'race card' either but jeez there are some mixed up views here...

D'Art

Comment

I agree D'Art but it's difficult to wind back 200 years of colonial invasion and apply Aboriginal law to modern Australian society. I'm all for integrating some Aboriginal law (such as native title) into our current legal system but it can't be positively discriminatory - i.e.: discriminatory against white, black, yellow, orange and purple Australians.

There needs to be more awareness and respect for Aboriginal Law but that should not go as far as reducing punishments for modern crimes.

Comment

Hi Stuck,

I never asked for Indigenous Laws to be applied but only that a little understanding be used. I don't agree with his stance either, but some comments made of late really only serve to highlight the biased and ignorant stance of the general community.

A little bit of understanding (put yourself in their shoes - or at least be grateful to your heritage that you're not) goes a looooong way.

D'Art

Comment

It's as stupid as claiming sex with children is part of their tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                        Hi Stuck,

I never asked for Indigenous Laws to be applied but only that a little understanding be used. I don't agree with his stance either, but some comments made of late really only serve to highlight the biased and ignorant stance of the general community.

A little bit of understanding (put yourself in their shoes - or at least be grateful to your heritage that you're not) goes a looooong way.

D'Art
                        Fair argument, up to a point. But, I bet my last dollar that this guy selectively takes part in what he wants from the white mans world, as well as his own culture.

By doing so you enter into a social contract, to uphold the rights and obligations of that culture.

An example would be me becoming Mormon for the multiple wives and magical underwear, but not doing any work in the community. There's a word for that: hypocrite
                        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

recon instead of the fine he would opt for a spear to the leg?
                          Hot air balloons, the gentleman's escape vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
                            By doing so you enter into a social contract, to uphold the rights and obligations of that culture.
                            Spot on. Social Contracts form the basis of liberal democracy. Sure it's a liberal democracy we have imposed on Indigenous peoples of Australia but the practical reality is there isn't much we can do to change this now.

Comment

I'm sick of the man always getting good people like this down.

If you need me, I'll be doing a cannonball run drunk and out of class on a stolen bike and if anyone tries to stop me, they're racist!

Comment

Working...
                              X