Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Aircon Instal advice.

Hiya Folks,

I need an aircon, but I have a few hurdles.

I live in a rental with security screens, so normal methods of instalation are out unless I want to leave it here when I leave.

So what I was thinking of doing was using a split system, but instead of going through the wall, just pasing the coolant hoses through the holes in the security screen and sealing the window with foam like you would do with a portable.

Then I'd just wireup the aircon and the condenser with normal 3 pin mains plugs and plug into the wall. The Aircon would just sit on a shelf rather than bolted to a wall like normal. Would this work?

I know I can use a portable, but the cost for the same cooling capacity as a split system is high. I know there are portable splitsystems, but their hose connections are to big to pass through a hole in a security screen.

Also can you hire vacuum units to connect up the coolant hoses?
    You put the c*nt in country run

To be honest your best bet is to get a portable unit.

Even with a small wall split type system you're going to need a 15A socket which you wont have in your house. It's not realy legal from an electrical perspective to do it that way in any case (you're supposed to have a dedicated circuit) and from the fridgies side, I think you'd struggle to find one that would do the job.

As for vacuum units, I think you can hire them but you may have to provide a fridgies licence to get one.
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Can you just get a box one and stick in a window?
      Some shelf brackets, perspex and selleys and she's fully installed.
      sigpic

Comment

Come on Arwon, I see you reading...where's your expert advice!!
        Why be difficult?
        Put some effort into it and be IMPOSSIBLE !

Comment

Originally posted by dugy View Post
          Can you just get a box one and stick in a window?
          Some shelf brackets, perspex and selleys and she's fully installed.
          No I have security screens
          You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

most portable systems if not all have the condensor connected to the umbilicle cord and will not fit through the security screen, also the capacity is lower than a split. You may de able to mount the condenser against the screen and blow air outside but that means it will draw air in from outside to replace what was blown out the window, which basically means its a total waste of time. You could connect a split system on a stand in the room and pipe it outside, but it is totally illegal and if you don't have the gear it will be a pain in the arse.

It will probably work out cheaper for you to talk the owner into installing an aircon and offering to pay an extra $10-$20 rent a week for it.
            Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Originally posted by Cbr1k View Post
              No I have security screens
              It's eary. Kan't reed gud.

Want angle grinder?
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X