Things to see in France?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to see in France?

To those who have been to France, where's some good places to go?

I like history, so preferably point me in the direction of some chateus etc.

We'll be in a car, so no problem with travel

Cheers
    Originally posted by vk6hgr
    My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

Wanna go see my mum and say hi?
    When you going?

Comment

There's a big fuck-off tower in Paris which is quite popular

Can't remember what it's called though
      Originally posted by Melkor
      The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

i'm going on sunday!

Comment

How long are you in france? Where are you planning to go?

Ch√Ęteau ??? ... Chenonceau blew me away :o

Comment

French people

Yeah alright I'm a pomme and don't like the french

the arc de triumphe (sp) is alright, but it looks like a huge version of the marble arch, which I am sure you have already seen?
            Designed by a Genius.
            Built by Craftsmen.
            Ridden by a TWAT!

Comment

we'll be in Paris for NYE, and coming back on Wednesday. So a couple of days to explore...

Comment

versailles is good, reims is worth a visit.
                we mainly loved just getting lost in paris, such a cool, vibrant city.

Comment

we bought a map of paris and a french book

i just hope my pommie accent isn't bad enough to be mistaken for a pom

Comment

Originally posted by The Saint View Post
                    There's a big fuck-off tower in Paris which is quite popular

Can't remember what it's called though
                    Tour Montparnasse? 200m high & floors 58 & 59 are open to the public.

Things to see......Anything & Everything - Paris Rocks! So much to see & do!!!

If I had to narrow things down I guess it would be:

+1 for Versailles - we spent just one day there & didn't even get to go inside, just the grounds are amazing. Chris even rowed me around the lake while we ate baguettes

The Louvre is well worth a look - we spent about 4 hours in it & neither of us are exactly art freaks - but you can't help but get amazed! (& a little lost - it's fkn huge!)

Basilique Sacre Coeur is great too - great views of the city, beautiful architecture & set in Montmartre which is just gorgeous.

And if you get time, maybe the Eiffel Tower

So jealous Daise..I wana go back!!!! (which hopefully we will at the end of the year)
                    Nath: "You're lucky you're cute!"

Comment

One bit of advice, stay away from public toilets - they are GRIM.

Comment

I tended to avoid cities and look at the smaller towns and country roads. Caution spelling may be bad on these...

Rheims and surrounds were nice if you like champagne.

Angers was nice for the castle and tapestry.

St Emillion (outside Bordeaux) - pretty old town with good cafes in the main square.

Millau for its tall bridge etc, and an awesome drive <cough> heading east to Ales - have a look at Google Maps and you'll see what I mean

Normandy for the beaches, worth a look just to get a feel for the scale of the thing.

Good food? Practically every small country town has a supermarket and they still seem to go for the local fresh produce concept there.
                        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Yeah, go check out Normandy. Also the wine regions to the south of Paris. Beaujolais I think is the place I went. Lots of cool old medieval towns down there.

Stay the fuck away from Lyon.

Comment

Saint Chapelle in Paris is an amazing cathedral, nearly every wall is 100% stained glass! :o

I'll have to dig out the old pics of paris from my trip there, just have nfi where they are anymore

Eurodisneys not bad, expensive, but not bad

Comment

Get out of Paris, then it all seems so much better !
                              I found France to be fantastic with great people....except in Paris !
                              I spent a bit of time in Northern Fance , checking out things like the D Day landing sites and staying in small villages ! it really was fantastic !
                              But if you don't have time to get out of Paris....then just find a bar somewhere and get drunk !

Comment

Working...
                              X