Advice Needed: Welding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed: Welding.

OK...Ive decided I want to learn to weld properly.

Whats the secret? Practice,practice,practice?

Tips appreciated.

ps. wanna build the kids a cubby. done the plans up...mostly all steel due to being in the country...dont want termites.
    Originally posted by Red_is_Best
    hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Arc, mig or tig ? Gasless Mig is prob the easiest to learn. Some real cheap units available that will do what you need. Mitre 10 has one for around $300.

I learnt with arc, someone once said to me if you can master arc welding the rest is child play.

Comment

well the first thing i learnt with welding was do not wear a wife-beater because with the gloves on you get a rediculouse tan
      Hot air balloons, the gentleman's escape vehicle.

Comment

DON'T DO IT!!...oh you said welding not wedding....
        Depending on what type of welding you want to do, if you can do arc welding then the rest is easy, just get the right tools and don't forget the protective gear.
        Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Husband

Comment

TAFE does an introductory welding course at night school. They cover oxy, stick and MIG as well as some cutting.

Do this course.

It will let you play with some fairly rugged equipment, give you a taste of the different types, and let you decide which type of welding equipment you want to buy.
            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I have an arc you can borrow for a few weeks, and give you a few lessons, and all the tools etc to borrow - let us know Cols.

If the cubby can be rotated so your not welding upseide down, its not too difficult a task.

Motorcycle racers with good eye/hand co-ordination dont normally have a drama learning & doing.
              Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

ok. correct the myth. Yes arce is harder than mig. Not the hardest though. And to add: Just becuase you can lay a beade of weld doesnt mean its good. Good, strong, and safe mig weld takes time to learn. I echo Capt. Startfish, TAFE is good.
                25 years after them invention of the mig I still see bad mig welds. And they still fall apart.

Comment

Heh heh

After that course I bought a little MIG. They are nice.

BUT

Found that with a MIG I kept swapping reels, kept swapping gas, leaks meant problems and they took forever to set up for a small one-off job.

Great for repetitive stuff, but a DECENT stick welder means you can grab a few sticks for just about any job (now including ali, stainless and cast) and you don't have nearly as much pissfarting around to deal with each time you occasionally drag it out.

I gave my mig to a mate because I couldn't be arsed with it after a few jobs and it just sitting there with hundreds of dollars of wire quietly rusting away and the gas dribbling out.

Tempted on the next job to go oxy - simply because once you've paid for the gas and bottle rental you also have a heat source for bending and cutting.
                  "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                    TAFE does an introductory welding course at night school. They cover oxy, stick and MIG as well as some cutting.

Do this course.

It will let you play with some fairly rugged equipment, give you a taste of the different types, and let you decide which type of welding equipment you want to buy.
                    +1 .. I did one of these years ago and while I had already done some stick welding it was well worth it, I learnt alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                      I have an arc you can borrow for a few weeks, and give you a few lessons, and all the tools etc to borrow - let us know Cols.

If the cubby can be rotated so your not welding upseide down, its not too difficult a task.

Motorcycle racers with good eye/hand co-ordination dont normally have a drama learning & doing.

Awesome...thanx Rob. We have a small arc welder...so would be great to have someone to give me a few tips. Show how its done ect. pm on its way Rob.

Thanx to everyone for your tips and help...PSB never fails.
                      Originally posted by Red_is_Best
                      hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

MIG FTW. arc is going to do the job. TIG too slow.

I have many hrs exp with the MIG having done much car restoration/workbench/framework fabrication. Have a TIG too but not used as much as the MIG, arc havent used in ages but it is good, only piss of is having to chip away slag.

Fron the sounds of thing by what your building ild be inclined to go mig if you can, otherwise arc will do. ohh and "hills" you profile says, have a fireextinguisher handy as well as a wet rag (best rags are old cotton nappies/mums good bath towels ripped into 1/4's ooopps!).

....failing the welding, there is always cable ties
                        "Redlines are merely suggestions"
                        "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

One thing a lot of begginers tend to over look when starting welding is the lense in thier helmet. The right shade of lense for the type of welding makes it a lot easier to see what you are doing, making it a lot easier to get a good weld. If your welding with arc and lense is to dark and you cant see the weld pool and the slag pool, well you might as well get a seagull to shit on it and say hey its welded .
                          I have a heap of welding coming up on a job building stuff for a dog training club, mainly short welds on light gauge steel but some on heavier stuff, your more than welcome to come round and try mig, tig and arc, be learning and doing charity work for the puppies as well any welds you stuff up ill just weld over the top. Once you have the technique right, a bit of practice and it becomes easy.

Comment

dont spill the water ur using to cool the metal with, then stand in it and start welding again. dont wear polyester while welding either :p
                            Originally posted by Bendito
                            If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

^^^ lolz, I remember :ouch:

Wear full gear (no welding squids). Even in a polo shirt, you WILL get 'sunburnt' in the neck line.

Worth looking at the electronic automagic LCD masks too, they're pretty cheap now and make it so much easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X