Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can i buy a Border Collie pup?

yeah...any help would be great thanks.

also, i know theyre heaps active dogs. luckily im a very active person so ill take them running and down to the park at least once a day. but when i go to uni 4 days a week, my backyard is pretty much the 'average' size but is mainly concrete, stone and pebbles (mums a water nazy ). u think itll go nuts or does anyone know of people keeping them like that? any other suggestions of breeds are good. im after a sporty dog that can run coz i like running.

luv alex

Not sure about border collies. I've always kept rough collies and they have always been happy to just follow mum around the house and sit in the back yard (paved). My last collie actually didnt like going out side for walks!

The border collie is more active than the rough collie, so hopefully it should be the kind of breed you are looking for. Im sure someone else will be able to comment further.

One thing to watch with all breeds of collie is that they will all run and play until they litterally drop dead on the spot. You must keep an eye on your dog to make sure you havent accidently taken them beyond their limits (especially so when you dog reaches its golden years).

Keep them clipped in the summer and they should stay reasonably cool.

Im not too sure about the border collie, but rough collies are prone to skin irritations - red scaby skin. In my dog's case was caused by an allergy to the chemicals put in drinking water. Our vet had never heard about it and perscribed antihistamines, it was only by luck that mum heard something on the radio about this. Within a week of changing the water given to our dog, her skin had pretty much cleared up.

IMO, its worth giving your dog filtered water anyway.

Not sure where to look for a breeder, perhaps there is a Border/Collie club somewhere?

Perhaps try these places for info, assuming they still exist.

Bordie Collie Rescue Ph 9490 1364
    Collie Rescue, Ph 9306 1465 or 0414 898 236

Taken from this website
    Perth's Dog and Cat Shelters (seems to be 4 or more years old)
    Last edited by Darkbyte; 14-01-2008, 08:52 AM.

Comment

thanks heaps. ill check that out

Comment

Originally posted by Walley View Post
        thanks heaps. ill check that out
        Np. Dont forget to post pics when you get your pup (no matter which breed)

Comment

Biggest problem with Border Collies left alone is boredom. They'll have your pebble gardens spread for miles in no time.

But a more loyal dog is hard to find. I'd have another one in a heartbeat but my current lifestyle (travel a bit) makes it too hard.
          To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Originally posted by PSB Forum Software
          Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.

Comment

Any working dog suffers boredom if alone. Healers, Kelpies etc all the same. If they are to be left alone for most of the day they do enjoy the company of a playmate.
            In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
            Its the little things that make the difference
            Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
            If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Aphex View Post
              If they are to be left alone for most of the day they do enjoy the company of a playmate.
              spose terrorising my sisters cat will kill a few hours

Comment

Also you can contact the Canine Association and they will give you names of reputable breeders and often they know who has pups to sell

Go ahead and play the blues if it'll make you happy.

Homer Simpson

Comment

Some lines of BC can have temperament problems.

I suggest you ring the CA of WA and ask when their next show is where you will be able to meet a few BC breeders and dogs.
                  Most the shows are at the Canine grounds crn Ranford and Warton roads.
                  Meet the breeders ask what genetic health issues the dogs have. Make sure the dogs are happy to greet new people and be patted etc.
                  When choosing a pup choose a pup that is up front and full of puppy joy don't want the on that hangs around the back sulking and not wanting to go near you.
                  Once you have your pup especially if you intend getting a working breed, enrol in obedience classes once the pup is 12 weeks old and fully covered by vaccination. They need not only physical activity but also mental stimulation, teaching tricks and obedience etc.

Cal
                  PS phone number for canine is 94551188
                  www.cawa.asn.au

Forgot to add if you want to have a crack at herding, the ANKC now have trials for herding with all breeds, once your pup is 6 months old contact Steph on 95816160, Mandurah, she holds classes and is also a herding Judge. Best fun you could ever have with your dogs, my German Shepherds used to absolutely love it and it is a real buzz seeing the dogs switch on for what they were bred for.
                  Last edited by Calamity; 14-01-2008, 10:17 AM. Reason: added contact details, and little extra bout herding
                  I live in my own little world, but it's OK they know me here

Comment

^^ Great advice

Originally posted by Calamity View Post
                    Forgot to add if you want to have a crack at herding, the ANKC now have trials for herding with all breeds, once your pup is 6 months old contact Steph on 95816160, Mandurah, she holds classes and is also a herding Judge. Best fun you could ever have with your dogs, my German Shepherds used to absolutely love it and it is a real buzz seeing the dogs switch on for what they were bred for.
                    Wish I knew about this when my furball was alive (and still full of bouncy puppy goodness), she would have loved that!

Comment

Working...
                    X