This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it wrong to set someone straight?

Okay told another person of this forum where to go today.

I don't do it often, and as those that know me I'm an easy going person, but that I do have strong viewpoints on things.

Now I'm wondering if others think I'm right or wrong for telling this person to 'Fuck Off'

Now the comment that was made was in regard to licenecing/testing and that in the ADF for an entrance exam they gave you the answers and all a person had to do was sign their name.

Now those of you that know me, also know I am proud of my Service Career, and those of you either in the military or previously having served may just agree with me.

Having the desire to serve, getting through the entrance exams and medicals, and then passing through recruits, training and finally serving was not simple, was not something done lightheartedly.

Then to have people who have had no experience with the Services making disparaging remarks, even in if somehwat in jest, still need to realise that not everybody finds their brand of humour in the least funny.

In fact to some of us it is downright derogatory, and insensitive to those who are currently serving in harms way.

Do people think I was wrong to tell this individual to 'Fuck Off'?

Your thoughts?
    Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

reading the thread, the poster was saying that the WAPOL test was like that, and he wondered IF the ADF one was the same.

i thinked you jumped to conclusions there.

Comment

Take it to PM instead of inflaming the situation when they read this?

Comment

It's considered rude to point out other peoples rude behaviour.

Comment

Opinions can be neither right nor wrong. They are just opinions and everyone is entitled the have and share theirs. They should also be prepared to listen to others.

As an ex-service person myself, I can get a little protective of the forces when people with no 'real' knowledge open their mouths....but it's just as easy to recognise an ignorant comment, and let it slide.

Took me years of coaching to learn that

D'Art

Comment

Well it is a good thing that Corks doens't react like that every time someone slags off the cops isn't it? Otherwise he would be a very busy man.

I wouldn't mind betting that you have made some derogatory comments about cops on here at some point? Don't make me do a search to prove it

I thought it was getting to the point on the 'foreshore development' thread when you and he should have taken it to PMs. We aren't supposed to make personal attacks on other forum members in the threads.

Well you did ask for opinions Gryph!
            Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Gryph you give them what you feel they deserve.
              You have been here long enough to see that there are whores who put people in their place for no real reason but to inflate their own egos.
              You have seen many flaming sessions.
              I think you you have been here for long enough and have made enough valid points that you are quite within your rights to say what you feel.
              You are an integral part of this community, if you feel it needs to be said, say it.
              No matter the outcome, we wil still respect you for who you are and what you contribute.
              If perchance we disagree with what you have said, we will still respect you, you have earnt that.
              If anyone else disagrees with what you have said, let them voice why. You have shown yourself to ba a reasonable person and if they put up a valid point then i have no doubt you will accept or understand their point of view and respond accordingly.
              Dont ever back down from your own belief in this forum.
              Your contributions are valued by me and i am sure by many others.
              sigpic

Comment

To put it in context, this little exchange I take it?

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                In all honesty though, the only test I thought was easier than the drivers license was the ADF admission testing.
                Originally posted by IPIT View Post
                I thought ADF was like WAPOL they pretty much give you the answers all you need to do is write your name
                Originally posted by Gryphen View Post
                Obviously you need to fuck off.
                Originally posted by IPIT View Post
                huh? You have some serious issues there sir. I'd give you a hug but I don't want to be the first one......obviously.
                No I think you need to watch your mouth, about things you obviously know nothing about.

I suppose you've never had the balls to serve your country so you of course think its fine to make disparaging remarks about Service Personnel.
                Someone made a comment about the ADF, that started with "I thought" and you decided it was incorrect, and told them to "fuck off" rather than to perhaps say "you are incorrect."

You normally seen like a fairly level-headed guy Gryph, but to me this just looks like another Defense person getting defensive, telling a civilian they aren't as manly that they have no right to comment at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Brougham View Post
                  reading the thread, the poster was saying that the WAPOL test was like that, and he wondered IF the ADF one was the same.

i thinked you jumped to conclusions there.
                  Actually I think he stated that he thought the ADF was the same, not that he wondered if it was, slight difference.

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                  Take it to PM instead of inflaming the situation when they read this?
                  'Pot Black' is not just a place to play pool.

Originally posted by Jonchilds View Post
                  It's considered rude to point out other peoples rude behaviour.
                  Funny that.

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                  Opinions can be neither right nor wrong. They are just opinions and everyone is entitled the have and share theirs. They should also be prepared to listen to others.

As an ex-service person myself, I can get a little protective of the forces when people with no 'real' knowledge open their mouths....but it's just as easy to recognise an ignorant comment, and let it slide.

Took me years of coaching to learn that

D'Art
                  Yer, but sometimes insensitivity needs to be nipped in the bud too. You can only roll over so many times.

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
                  Well it is a good thing that Corks doens't react like that every time someone slags off the cops isn't it? Otherwise he would be a very busy man.

I wouldn't mind betting that you have made some derogatory comments about cops on here at some point? Don't make me do a search to prove it

I thought it was getting to the point on the 'foreshore development' thread when you and he should have taken it to PMs. We aren't supposed to make personal attacks on other forum members in the threads.

Well you did ask for opinions Gryph!
                  Yer i did ask for opinions.... also if you check I have made disparaging remarks about particular coppers, but generally am supportive of Police, the hard work they do and that they need to be paid more. I did maintain my cool in regards ot the foreshore thing, I refrained form stooping to the same level of name calling.

Originally posted by XSorXpire View Post
                  Gryph you give them what you feel they deserve.
                  You have been here long enough to see that there are whores who put people in their place for no real reason but to inflate their own egos.
                  You have seen many flaming sessions.
                  I think you you have been here for long enough and have made enough valid points that you are quite within your rights to say what you feel.
                  You are an integral part of this community, if you feel it needs to be said, say it.
                  No matter the outcome, we wil still respect you for who you are and what you contribute.
                  If perchance we disagree with what you have said, we will still respect you, you have earnt that.
                  If anyone else disagrees with what you have said, let them voice why. You have shown yourself to ba a reasonable person and if they put up a valid point then i have no doubt you will accept or understand their point of view and respond accordingly.
                  Dont ever back down from your own belief in this forum.
                  Your contributions are valued by me and i am sure by many others.
                  Thanks mate, yer i know at times we can all disagree, but I think sometimes people think because they don't know someone that it is all anonymous, whereas in fact in this community it isn't. I will defend just about everybody on this site (well all bar 1 person) if I think they are right, but by the same token I do like to tell it how I see it, and of course as a lot of my friends will attest I can continue to disagree vehemently and still be friends.

It's like the people that say Morgs isn't fit to live with Pigs, and I defend him and say that he is.

Morgs and I get along really well, we just don't agree a lot of the time, do we Morgs?

Comment

Originally posted by Bendito View Post
                    ... telling a civilian they aren't as manly that they have no right to comment at all.
                    Well does the person honestly believe that the ADF is like that... not likely, but it's still okay to take the shot?

Comment

Damn did I start a fire or what.

When I did the ADF testing I knew what they were screening for, a question of: "When you're standing on a tall building do you ever get the urge to jump?" was about as subtle as Ty Pennington. It's the exact same thing with getting a drivers license, you assess what they are assessing and give them a reason to tick the box, that's all it was, it's all government associated standardised testing is.

I stand by my comment that anyone with their head attached on their shoulders will pass the ADF admission testing, with or without crackpot motives.
                      This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

But by the same token if you weren't smart enough you wouldn't pass it easily or be given the answers and just have to sign you name would you?

Comment

Well does the person honestly believe that the ADF is like that... not likely, but it's still okay to take the shot?
                          I'm not saying it was right or wrong to make the call, just that it was the kind of over-reaction that seems to come from service-people at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                            "When you're standing on a tall building do you ever get the urge to jump?"
                            Yep

So would I be recommended for the parachute regiment or what
                            Originally posted by Melkor
                            The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

On a different tack...

"When you're standing on a tall building do you ever get the urge to jump?"

Answer is usually yes, most people do have a fear of heights, some it is as little as caution, others its a knee trembler, but what the urge to jump sensation is is the mind taking control of a fear situation. Its actually quite normal, and isn't in fact a problem.

In fact someone saying no would point to someone giving you the answers rather than telling the truth, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X