Photography Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photography Tips

OK ... so I out playing with the camera today and I just wanted to see if people had some tips about taking good shots. ??

Settings ? Composition ? etc

Heres a couple of the ones from today, I was trying out different things.

Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

that windsurfer really pops out of the picture. did you adjust saturation at all? looks almost unnatural!

Best advice i can give is to browse around flickr for a few hours. You'll see all sorts of photography and maybe discover styles that appeal to you

Comment

One of the best tips I've come across for post-processing (which I think would help with the flower shot) is to use a high-pass filter for sharpening. You should be able to find the technique (which is really easy) via a Google search.

Here's that photo with the technique applied (but a little exagerrated for effect):

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
        that windsurfer really pops out of the picture. did you adjust saturation at all? looks almost unnatural!

Best advice i can give is to browse around flickr for a few hours. You'll see all sorts of photography and maybe discover styles that appeal to you
        Nope thats straight off the card ... I havent done anything to the images.

By post processing ? ie run it through photoshop ?

Comment

Yep, photoshop or something like that, but all I had on hand was Elements - which is fine for that simple stuff.
          "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

Here's a before and after of the windsurfer shot.

Great shot - as Davey said, the contrast between the windsurfer and the city is fantastic.

Comment

Wow... I still cant see a windsurfer in any of those pics. You guys must have good eyes.

My only advice is to get good shots, take lots of shots.
              Its digital. It doesnt cost you anything to take more.
              The more you learn what are "good" settings for certain situations (which can just come down to personal preference) the more you will be able to pick your prefered settings in a hurry.
              - however a lot of good shots are just perfect(/flukey) timing or the "right" angle out of the 10 different angles taken. Taking more pics just increases your odds of getting more good ones.

Good photographers only show you the best ones, or the ones that worked.
              Chances are they have 10(+) others that didnt work to get that one.

Play about with exposure and whatever fancy settings you camera has that I havent even heard of.
              If you want, play about with the setting that takes multiple shots with different exposures with one click for use with HDR(?) post processing.

Have fun & keep posting up the good ones.

Comment

Cheers .... I actually took about 100 shots this arvo ... so I got 3 from 100 .. not the best odds .. but at least its a start

Comment

Better odds than most of mine!

Comment

I just need to work out all the settings and how they interelate

Comment

Do Gibbs still do the free two or three session course if you buy glass or bodies off them?

Worth a phone call, because it's an excellent introduction to the basic mechanics of your settings.
                      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Try the forums over at Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Theres alot of helpful advice over there once you get past the resident trolls.
                        In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                        Its the little things that make the difference
                        Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                        If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Best advice? Stop trolling the forums and get out there and shoot

Comment

I find that playing with the way you take a shot is great eg: no need to just put camera to ur face or sit it on a tripod.

Depth of field is my favorite shot to take at the moment.

also capturing that magic shot may cost you a broken toe too

These were all taken on a canon 400D witht he standard 18/55mm lense.
                            I think about sex every tits seconds.

Comment

Composition: Female nudity.
                              That is all.

Play around with the time of day you take photos too. I'm partial to dusk, the colours you get out of the sky are pretty awesome.

(And people can't see you hiding when it's almost dark.)
                              Last edited by CitizenD; 24-02-2008, 08:37 AM.

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

Working...
                              X