Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google for "the rule of thirds"

Comment

Hewie there are certain 'rules' that people say you must abide by... they make a shot better, but not necessarily the best. Simple stuff, like leading lines, rule of thirds, framing, frame within a frame, depth of field (dof), using different camera angles are common simple techniques that help you take a better than average shot. But if everyone is better than average, does that just make them average?

It all comes down to personal style and what YOU find interesting. I guess like an author or an artist, it means something to them - and is very often only intended for them. Some ppl will find your shots interesting, some won't. If you do it for you you can't lose.

My advice. You've got a fully manual camera. But I wouldn't use it just yet. To be honest, I'd leave it on (P) for a while. And concentrate on composition. When you're reasonably satisfied you can frame a shot... ('train' using one lens at a time - keeps it simple) move up to aperture priority, or shutter priority, spend some time on that, then play with the other one (aperture or shutter priority).

This will let you use the skills you've acquired in framing / composition, and allow you to control speed, or dof / exposure independently whilst the camera fills in the blanks. This will really help you understand what these two settings do. Cos you'll set the camera up for a deep dof and wonder why the camera takes a 5 second exposure... dof is controlled by the aperture which affects light, which affects exposure time.

Once you're comfortable with that, go manual baby!

This is a really good beginners guide to photography and is good for a recap every now and then.

Canon Australia - Better Photography

Comment

The learning section at photo.net is worth a look

I'd also recommend starting out with the camera in P mode and concentrate on learning framing/composition. Rule of thirds and leading lines are a good start.

The best thing about digital is it costs nothing to practice

Comment

the manual that comes with the camera is pretty good, start with one mode at a time until you can use them all with ease [start with shutter speed+iso, remember the lower the iso the better quality the photo will turn out]. then you can work on getting good ones.
          i got this one first time using an SLR just in auto mode so find something to shoot, you can make something look good with the right skills but its easy to make a good photo with the right conditions so just wait for them to present themselves to you.

Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by JustDave View Post
            Depth of field is my favorite shot to take at the moment.
            Huh??
            Feels good man.

Comment

My favourite type of photography is low light long exposure stuff...

This one is an adaption on the rule of thirds... repsol blade sitsalong the bottom third line, yellow/blake blade is in the right third. The white balance is all wrong though.

More shots where I keep the lines along the thirds, and again night time... Also a bit of depth of field there too.

Last edited by TurboR1; 24-02-2008, 07:55 PM.
              Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Shutter speed: your 400D goes from 1/2000 of a second to 30 seconds, this is around 8 and produces a very mild photo that emphasises the purity of bright light, to do anything longer than 1/100 you should be using a tri-pod or be resting on something. Most good photos are done at a longer exposure to get an unrealistic yet artistic effect.

Lens speed
                thats the f## thing that's probably confusing you as it doesn't really make sense when you first have the camera.
                when you want clarity go for a faster speed [lower number] This is important for photos like this where you are zoomed in with low light and not much to stabilise yourself on.
                go on flickr and look around at the "more properties" tab thats right hand side below photo. it should give something like this Flickr: More detail about South African sunset
                look on this group a bit as well for inspiration with seens you can recognise.
                Flickr: PIP - Photographers In Perth
                potoshoping isn't something i do much but if your taking a photo and want it to be good try remember you will probably want to distort it somehow such as a digital filter and adjust accordingly. I don't even have photoshop on my computer, i use 10 year old software or picasa as i CBF making a photo. that took no more than 5 minutes to finish \/

go out and learn

my photos with minimal photoshop Random goodies (+photowalking) - a photoset on Flickr

Comment

Thanks folks ... Im just trying to get my head around the settings and the effects they can create.
                  Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

Hey Turbo .. how long was that first shot ?

Comment

Hey Stormrider isn't the 400D a 1/4000 to 30 shutter speed? Excellent feature as it can stop the prop on a plane.
                      Just got to find a plane lol
                      I think about sex every tits seconds.

Comment

ah yer you win dave, foiled me... i should have checked but i dont have the camera atm

i have kind of gone off photos of late as what's considered good really has no meaning to me so now i just use it as a point and shoot. using it like that is really good as normal PAS piss me off to no end when they just keep stuffing up and wasting my time as people and things in general look crap.

long exposure use it wisely

i wanna try this with some ones pipes
                        Last edited by T-Rex; 25-02-2008, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hewie View Post
                          Hey Turbo .. how long was that first shot ?
                          The one with the bikes in Scarbs? Ummm good question it was taken a fair while ago and I no longer have the original that kept all the shooting data.

At a guess, when you consider that almost all of the shot is in focaus from the bike in the foreground to Peters in the background my F-stop would have been as High As I could have gotten it with that lens (32(?)), and with the Iris being almost closed the Shutter speed would have to have been around 25-30 Seconds.

It's entirely up to you on how much blur you want in the shot... if there is very little going on and you want lots of blur, then leave the shutter open for longer.
                          Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

mmmm m80 goodness

bad hewie .... baaaaad hewie

Comment

Originally posted by Stormrider View Post

i have kind of gone off photos of late as what's considered good really has no meaning to me so now i just use it as a point and shoot.
                              Why be worried what otheres consider 'good' unless the only reason you're into photography is for recognition and winning competitions. Like any form of art its in the eye of the beholder.
                              In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                              Its the little things that make the difference
                              Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                              If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X