Tradies utes. New FBT rules.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tradies utes. New FBT rules.

If you use your work ute for taking the bike to Collie, read on.

As of 1 April, new FBT rules regarding work utes come into effect. The big changes are where a worker uses or is provided with a ute. ATO may define it as a "car". There is a formula where if passenger load exceeds tray load FBT rules apply, which is many dual cabs. If the ute is not primarily used for carrying non passenger loads it will be classed as a car. That sort of thing.

Personal use must be minor and incidental. Diversions between work and home cannot exceed 2km. Any non work journey exceeding 200 km is classed as a private, not "minor and incidental" etc.

If you have a work ute and are claiming FBT, log your personal trips. Commute from home to work is FBT applicable as are +2k diversions from a job route.

So now it seems, trading the car for a dual cab to use as both a work and private vehicle does not seem to add up. It is definitely something to discuss with an accountant and it may be better to claim work related private vehicle use rather than the other way around.
    The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Dual cabs are hopeless as work utes anyway.

About time they came down on that particular rort.

Hang on, I thought Labor was gonna fuck the tradies?

They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Most duel cabs are little more than toys...esp the 4x4s...most will never see off road use....which reminds me I have to go and polish my ally tray floor....got some dirt in it parked under a tree
      Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

If this new ruling halts the sale of even 1 dual cab , it will be officially the first time I've ever applauded the ATO. But I have to wonder with no more falcon/commonwhore Utes being produced, dual cabs being taxed, what's the wanker car going to be next?

Comment

Looks like the market for F150 Supercabs (dual cabs) is going to take off then given they can hold over 1400kg's in the tray and the F250 can hold over 2000kg's
          #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
          Originally posted by Phildo
          Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
          Originally posted by filbert
          i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
          Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
            Looks like the market for F150 Supercabs (dual cabs) is going to take off then given they can hold over 1400kg's in the tray and the F250 can hold over 2000kg's
            What's the point of more carrying capacity most of them only carry a box of tissues in the back as it is

Comment

And if you listen carefully you can hear the sound of mechanics rubbing their hands together.
              They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by chew View Post

And if you listen carefully you can hear the sound of mechanics rubbing their hands together.
                Nah you're thinking of Dodge and Jeep

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor

Comment

Nah you're thinking of Dodge and Jeep
                  No, we were talking to a Ford F250 owner in Wickepin last week. The three of them could be called the axis of evil.

Comment

Guess i will find out in a month or so how this will affect me. Purposely purchased a more basic model with over 1t payload to avoid this stuff. If all cars will be treated the same for tax purposes, will purchase a track car and drive it to work twice a week and claim % of costs. Win.
                    yes, i am ignorant
                    yes, i am a prick
                    no, i don't care
                    you make me sick

Comment

Yeah it gets bloody confusing when they change their tune on shit all the time
                      Missus does the bookwork for a small company and when I asked about this she said her boss drives one of the company vehicles (new Holden Colorado dual cab 4x4) all the time and only 1/3 - 1/2 of that would be considered "work related" and almost never with a load in the tray
                      Maybe because it's owned by the company it's different

Comment

Working...
                      X