• Dubs
    replied
    thanks for the ideas folks, i'll keep you updated

Progress so far

Dubs

Leave a comment:

• chew
    replied
    There is a good CNC, fitter/turner shop in Star St (Overload Machining) if you could draw a picture. He is not keen on smaller jobs but if you have a good drawing of what you want he will at least give you a price. Or send me the drawing and I can ask him.

Other than that, maybe a Men Shed?

Leave a comment:

• NAK3D
    replied
    1) 3 or 4 5inch grinder disks
    2) A bunch of silicone or similar to sandwich it all together
    3) ????
    4) Profits

Nevermind, I will see myself out,

Leave a comment:

• Mika79
    replied
    I know a machinist in Forrestfield, his prices are more than reasonable, but it can take a little while for him to get things done. It's the sort of thing I'd offer to spin for you, just got too much on my plate at the moment. PM me if you want the dude's number.

I have a 'multitool' brand linishing belt attachment on my bench grinder. Think the grinder shaft is only 16mm. Been a while since I bought one, but the whole kit was only ~$200. You might be able to find a 'spare' or second hand drive wheel. Think the diameter would go close to what you're looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Dubs
    replied
    Originally posted by Mika79 View Post
    Are you looking for a crown on the drive wheel to help with belt alignment ?
    Seems like you just need a big chunk of aluminium (Robert and Cameron in Burswood), turn it down to the dimensions you want, with whatever offset required to get it clear of the motor and mounting bracket. But just bolting it to the end of the motor shaft isn't a good idea. Surely it's got a keyway ? That's where things get a little complicated, not too many backyarders like myself have a keyway broach. You can be super dodgy and just try clamp it onto the shaft with a grubscrew, it might drive OK.
    its pretty much the turn down to fit that i need and it doesnt have a keyway - might end up grinding a flat spot on the shaft.
    i have a crowned one for tracking already - just need the drive wheel

Leave a comment:

• Crobbo
    replied
    Crowned drive wheel. Tried eBay?

Leave a comment:

• Mika79
    replied
    Are you looking for a crown on the drive wheel to help with belt alignment ?
    Seems like you just need a big chunk of aluminium (Robert and Cameron in Burswood), turn it down to the dimensions you want, with whatever offset required to get it clear of the motor and mounting bracket. But just bolting it to the end of the motor shaft isn't a good idea. Surely it's got a keyway ? That's where things get a little complicated, not too many backyarders like myself have a keyway broach. You can be super dodgy and just try clamp it onto the shaft with a grubscrew, it might drive OK.

Leave a comment:

• Para045
    replied
    Originally posted by Dubs View Post
    I cant find the knives thread to post in there.
    Took a bit of searching but found it >>
    Knives

Leave a comment:

• NAK3D
    replied
    Will any of these work?

https://www.artisansupplies.com.au/p...c=22783a5940ef

Leave a comment:

• metal machinist/CNC/smart cookie needed for my DIY grinder build

I am building a 2x72 grinder myself and i'm at the pointy end.

Ideas, connections, someone with a lathe/CNC or other workable solution greatly appreciated.

Grinder:
    http://dcknives.blogspot.com/p/2-x-72-belt-grinder.html

I have all the bits and i'm ready for final assembly including a 2hp motor and speed controller but do not have a drive wheel to drive the whole thing.

I need an "affordable option" for a drive wheel to fit this motor:

Shaft is 24mm long, 16mm od and m8 thread

Wheel needs to be around 50-60mm wide and have a diameter of around 125mm (5 inch).

I cant find the knives thread to post in there.

Sentry
    NAK3D
    ​​​​​​​
    Para045

chew
    ​​​​​​​
    Cheers,

Dubs
Working...
X