Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitars

Hey,

Anyone here who plays guitar, electric or acoustic ?
    I've been thinking lately of perhaps getting myself an electric one and trying my hand at it, perhaps taking lessons (which I'll no doubt need!). Any experiences or advice that might assist ?
    Tips... things to look for when buying etc ?

I was considering maybe just getting a bit of a cheap 'set' (guitar/amp set), like for 200-500 dollars and using that as a start point.
    Main problem would be motivation to keep practicing etc, how have some of you overcome that to improve yourself and so fourth ?

Anyone self taught and what were you're experiences whilst learning ?

Erm

As always, there are choices. If you want to bash out a few chords through enough distortion to make it sound hard and hide your lack of ability, teenage style, go to a cashies and buy the cheapest piece of shit they have with a grungy distortion knob on the amp.

I bought a steel stringed Washburn acoustic and taught myself badly, hitting limits as a result. I need to unlearn and get some lessons. From a mate who plays semi-professionally, the following advice:

If you akshuly want to learn to play guitar properly, it's different.

Go get a nylon stringed acoustic. Get something reasonable but not over the top - around $400 should do it nicely. Find a decent teacher (sorry can't help, don't know any) and learn to play classical and Spanish/Flamenco.

Then buy a steel stringed acoustic, start on blues and jazz.

Then, if you decide you want to slum it and go electric (or Yngwie Malsteem is floating your boat) you will have the skill to make it sing.

A good teacher will help your motivation for practice by feeding you stuff which you enjoy playing, is challenging enough to keep you improving but not so hard that you give up in frustration. Enjoyable helps. But you need the self discipline to create a minimum 1/2 hour slot in your day - every day - to practice. Less than that and you won't go anywhere, your money on lessons will be a total waste.
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I am 99% self taught, I had lessons for about a month and hated it, but dont by any means let that reflect what you find is best for you, I know some people who have had nothing but lessons all their life and they are freakin crazy good.

As far as tips and things go I would say for a first guitar, get something light and with a reasonably well known brand. Personally for a first "Electric Guitar" setup I wouldnt look any further Then Squire, who are owned by Fender guitars. They great value for money and look the part too.

I myself have been playing for about 10 years now and I still love (when I have the time) sitting down and just playing.

My motivation for sticking to it would be once you have learnt the basics, pick a song from a band you like that is relitivly easy to play (i.e mainly chords , not complicated notes) and find the "TAB" (guitar tablature) or notations from a website and start learning it. (LOOK UP ON GOOGLE FOR GUITAR TABS- THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF SITES). For me at the time it was good riddance (time of your life) by greenday.
      This is a good way to get you motivated because you can hear improvement in what your doing, and once it starts sounding more and more like the song your trying to play, it makes you want to play more and start challenging other harder songs.

Hope This Helps.

Oh... and go talk to Ross at Mega Music in myaree hes a champ....
      • Mega Music
      • 95 North Lake Rd Myaree 6154
        • (08) 9330 2777
      Last edited by Tin Tin; 10-04-2008, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Les Paul in the Sunburst colour. Best. Guitar. Ever.

When it comes to guitars and amps, quality costs dollars. Spend about $500 on your guitar and you'll never look back. The difference in tone between a good guitar and a cheap guitar is amazing.

So when you rockin round for a jam sesh?
        A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Comment

anyone looking for a seriously cool guitar??? I got a genuine Les Paul in like a deep purple/red sorta colour that I haven't played for about 3 years... Make an offer and I'll consider it
          Originally posted by kyliejane
          benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
          Originally posted by harns
          Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
            Les Paul in the Sunburst colour. Best. Guitar. Ever.

When it comes to guitars and amps, quality costs dollars. Spend about $500 on your guitar and you'll never look back. The difference in tone between a good guitar and a cheap guitar is amazing.

So when you rockin round for a jam sesh?
            I have a Les Paul custom myself with the gold hardware. I love it to bits, very versatile guitar , I like using it for Indie and heavy metal numbers , where as I use an American Strat for stuff like Pink Floyd and Hendrix. But as an Entry guitar I would stick with the Strat/Tele style guitars. Light, easy to play and get on with, where as the les pauls and sg's take a bit of getting used to.

Comment

I love to buy second hand acoustic guitars - i think they sound better (if you get a good one). Im totally spewing my classical was unintentionally "traded" with an ex-boyfriend. I WANT IT BACK DAMNIT!!

Anyway, I have an electric washburn. Its pretty blue and sparkly. I cant play for nuts, so I made the salesman play the various guitars for me. Always plug into an amp that you are intending to buy, so there isnt any salestrickery going on.

Basically, 1K saw me with a guitar and an amp. I didnt like the $200 cheap electrics at all. I may sound like crap when I play, but atleast its not crap on a crap guitar!

As for other tips, erm, just play what you can on one, see if the frett board and neck shape suits your hands. I dont think guys have too much else to watch out for as far as comfort goes.

Just remember, a guitar will last for years. You can play it, give up for 5 years, jump back on and it still works. Im very much on again, off again, but I know I still have something to play that sounds good (and looks good, even when covered in dust) that is ready there waiting.

IMO, learn the basics from a book before going for lessons. I have 2 books by Earnie Ball. They are good, easy to understand and fun.

If you buy electric, decide what you want to play. There are different pickup configurations. Some give you the clean "crips" sounds, others give you a more "muddy" rock sound. I went for the configuration that aims for the middle of the two *points down*. Can someone tell me what that configuration is, I keep forgetting. 1 Humbucker and ??

Beware, once you have one guitar you want more! ( SO MUCH WANT)

You should be able to get a package deal - strap (I so want to change mine!), bag, stand, lead (for electric).

Also, spend some money on a good tuner. I got one with the flashing LEDs as I wasnt a fan of the cheap needle one my siss gave me.
              Last edited by Darkbyte; 10-04-2008, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbyte View Post
                Just remember, a guitar will last for years. You can play it, give up for 5 years, jump back on and it still works. Im very much on again, off again, but I know I still have something to play that sounds good (and looks good, even when covered in dust) that is ready there waiting.
                Couldnt agree more. Guitars actually get better with age as the wood gets older it changes the tone and resonance of the guitar.

Edit: Especially if its totally awesome already

Comment

I disagree, sorry DB - I started self taught from book and learned some nasty habits in left hand fingering and posture which are going to be horrid to unlearn.

Better off to get the basics nailed with close supervision - this is your foundation to everything else and you want to get it right - and then develop from books, I reckon.
                  "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Tin View Post
                    Couldnt agree more. Guitars actually get better with age as the wood gets older it changes the tone and resonance of the guitar.

Edit: Especially if its totally awesome already
                    yup, thats why I always buy second hand acoustic! Its quite obvious the difference when you pick up a new guitar and one that has had time to age.

When buying second hand, always look for cracks, dents, chips, warped necks, shonkey repairs etc. I would also check to see whether it has had the paint stripped and refinished.

Comment

played for over 10 years Mirkz..... sing out if you want any tips

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                        I disagree, sorry DB - I started self taught from book and learned some nasty habits in left hand fingering and posture which are going to be horrid to unlearn.

Better off to get the basics nailed with close supervision - this is your foundation to everything else and you want to get it right - and then develop from books, I reckon.

Hmmm I see your point, there are two types of guitarists though. Those who go by the book, I.e lessons, who play guitar how others tell them to do it. But dont get me wrong this is the most "EFFECTIVE" way to learn. People like Kirk Hammet (Metallica) learnt classicly like this and he can melt your face with a solo.

Then on the other hand you have guitarists like Brian May and Jimi Hendrix who are completely self taught and go by their own rules on how to play thus developing their own styles and sounds, even if these styles conflict with the rules of playing a guitar "Properly" ..

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post

Thats fair enough, lessons are always worth getting.

I started taking lessons (classical) after I knew my way around the first 3 fretts, first 3 strings (no chords).
                          Last edited by Darkbyte; 10-04-2008, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I was thinking of the guys who learnt themselves. A lot of the famous old time jazz guys were self taught too - and it never stopped them.

But they were good, they were talented and they were lucky.

I taught myself the piano, got to a point where I just couldn't get my fingers around some of the stuff I was trying to play (this was 8 or 9 years after I started) and so went for lessons. Apparently I had the raw material there to be _very_ good. But to tap into it would have meant stopping playing anything I'd learned already and starting from scratch with scales etc. My teacher guessed at 4 years to get back to where I already was with the bad habits unlearnt and being ready to proceed.

At that point I realised I could live with the limitations of my own "style" and have stayed at that level since. Quite happily, for the most part.

When I started with the guitar I was just horsing around and picked up a few tunes, then started playing more. Three years later I watched a mate playing some flamenco that I was trying to suss out and nearly broke down in tears - my technique was (by comparison) shot to pieces and it was lesson time. Sadly, I don't have the time each day to put aside for practice these days and so down the same hill I go...

I can only cry "warning, warning" from my own experiences - others may have been luckier and got things right and Mirkz you may be one of them

Comment

Well said.. some good info in there!!

Comment

Working...
                              X