Question for the programmers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the programmers

I've been working on contract for a company for the last 5 years developing and then upgrading a custom piece of software for them. It's been working brillintly without any major hiccups for those 5 years. It's being decommissioned at the end of the year as it's being incorporated into their EIS system.

They're having a decommisioning party this Friday where , and this bit is for real, they are going to print out a copy of the programs logo, stick onto an old screen and then attack the screen with an axe.

The IT manager asked if I wantd to come along but I told him that I thought that the whole idea was kinda insulting. He told me I had no sense of humour.

Now my question is, am I right in feeling insulted or am I (sorry ladies) being a big girl about it all?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

If you get the attacker to stand close enough to the screen, they might just get a face full of glass...

I could understand this option if it didn't work or the 5 years was wasted... :?
    Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

I'd prolly get insulted. Its been a large chunk of your life and Im sure you have taken great pride in it.

Look on the bright side it worked and worked well

Comment

Dude that aint right....... I would say something.. non stop try to kill the decommisioning party.... people gotta show some respect .... credit is due where credit is due.... if the software was in action and live for 5 years then it sounds like the company relied on the software bigtime...aka "saving some ass"... times like these ya need a HR dept or a union :twisted:
        "Sanity is a madness put to good use"

Comment

aside from the insult to all ur hard work, the screen just may have the last word on ur boss, If he hits that screen with an axe, the monitor could implode(vacuum) and then explode catapulting glass like a bomb, bugger that! id be telling them i aint attending
          "Did you ever blow bubbles as a kid? Well he's back in town and wants your number"

Comment

I would be insulted.

You could always plug the power into the monitor....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

I would be insulted.

You could always plug the power into the monitor....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
              what they said, and Melle, you MAY just have something there......
              Sic vis pacem Para bellum

Comment

Tell him you are going to do the same thing to his Beemer that he just finished paying off and see if you get a laugh

OR

Next time you write an accounting program for that company write in a bug that deducts a remainder of a cent out of every transaction and puts it into a bank account then all you have to do is sit back an enjoy the rewards. Watch out for a funny looking guy that hangs on to a red stapler tho. Oh yeah and at this stage you can sit back and fillet a fish on your desk
                1, Always look good
                2, Always know what you're doing
                3, In failure of step 2 refer to step one

Comment

ace your a man after my own heart

now where's MY stapler!

Comment

Thought I wasn't being too sensitive. Good thing my contract finishes up on the 23rd, glad to get away from this bunch of LOSERS. Woulda done it sooner, but ah that weekly cheque comin in was just to good to knock back. At least I negotiated a good rate.

I just went with my mantra - Get money, buy toys.
                    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Comment

Yeah, I'd feel a little insulted too, but just remember - if it was used for 5 years it must have been saving them something and doing useful work...

Rest easy now, knowing you have got enough dough out of them to live and buy some toys - and now they will no longer be getting any use out of your hard work, whilst I assume you still have some toys! :twisted:

I take more pride in my code/work knowing I can do it.
                      If someone (like work) wants me to do something for them I know I am able to contribute something useful to this world. If they stuff it up through mismanagement etc I dont care anymore... I did my job and I know I can do it ( or similar things) for myself if/when the need arises...

Anyway I've already got my toys from them in return, where their path goes, I'm not so fussed anymore... :twisted:

Comment

I would be insulted.

what they said, and Melle, you MAY just have something there......
                        Well I have taken down 13 comptuers at work in the last 5 weeks :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

I reckon wash your hands and walk away, don't carry any upset. And don't answer their phone calls when the new EIS system falls to shit & they're lamenting the old system they all knew well & knew how to use.

or you could......

set the building on fire

Comment

Destroying 5 years of ya hard work & then dissing you you by smashing the screen. I would be very pissed & insulted. where's da respect!!!!!!

Comment

just code a random ping with IP packets that exceed the maximum legal length (65535 octets)

and then go home happily knowing that everyday .. someones computer is going to crash ...
                              Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

Working...
                              X