Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

‘Bonus Time’ to replace Daylight Saving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Bonus Time’ to replace Daylight Saving?

Anyone seen this? Interesting article. Should put a cat among the pidgeons so to speak.

Click on the links for a bit of background to the proposed initiative.

‘Bonus Time’ to replace Daylight Saving?

With West Australians set vote on daylight saving in the fourth referendum to be held on the issue since 1975, the authors of the current bill have decided to back a new, radical proposal if the bill is defeated.

Former Labor Minister John D'Orazio and Former Liberal leader Matt Birney today announced that they would lobby strongly to have ‘Bonus Time’ adopted in Western Australia.

Internet blogger and Bonus Time advocate, Dave Kushal states that “If you're like most people you probably love it when the "fall back" part of daylight savings time comes around and you get an extra hour of sleep. And if you're like one group of people, you find you function better at night. If you're like others, you're a morning person. Whichever the case, there is now a solution. It is the 25 hour day.”

Joy Duling, Managing Director of Consulting Firm A 25 Hour Day, LLC has just completed a multi-million dollar study for the WA Department of Premier and Cabinet and submitted a proposal for implementing a three year trial of Bonus Time should the Daylight Savings bill be defeated. (Ms Duling was previously a consultant to a number of other governments studying the feasibility of introducing a 25 hour day).

Federal Liberal MP Wilson Tuckey says, "I'm very pleased that we'll soon not only be rid of the obsolete idea of Daylight Saving but have the opportunity to move into the 21st Century with a initiative that will have real potential to improve the lives of Western Australians. I predict that the majority of state parliamentarians will lend their support to ‘Bonus Time’ when they cast their view," he said.

‘Bonus Time’ should be introduced by the government whether or not the public wants it, former Labor Minister John D'Orazio says. He said legislation did not have to be changed to do it.

Mr D’Orazio said that Bonus Time has been trialed for now in many countries (most notably in South America) and has recently been adopted permanently in Venezuela and Colombia with great success and majority public support.

At the beginning of August 2008, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez introduced the ambitious idea despite opposition from business groups who feared it would affect trade with the United States. These fears proved groundless however and recently Chavez and his colleagues from Argentina and Brazil spoke about adopting Bonus Time across Latin America.

In the USA a study, funded by NASA, shows that it's possible to cram an extra hour into the day - not only without adverse effects on health - but with the potential to improve health through better sleep.

The researchers included Charles Czeisler, MD, PhD, director of the sleep medicine division at Harvard Medical School and chief of the sleep medicine division at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital.

They studied 12 healthy young adults (average age: 28) who volunteered to spend 65 days living on a 25 cycle.

Participants stayed on the 25-hour-day cycle for a month. They adjusted to the schedule, judging by their core body temperature and levels of melatonin, a hormone involved in circadian rhythms.

The internal clock that drives the daily activities of all living things, from wild flowers to whales, is wound by Earth’s rotation. The 24-hour cycle, tied to one turn of the planet on its axis, embodies a biological clock mimicked by timepieces invented to measure the human day.

But these external clocks don’t exactly match the biological tickings inside ourselves. Many measurements led to the conclusion that the internal clock period is actually closer to 25 hours; that is, the biological clock was thought to drift toward a 25-hour day unless it is set back an hour each day by exposure to morning light and to external clocks. This situation is blamed for a long list of sleep problems.

Mr D’Orazio said that advocates of a 25 hour ‘day’ claim that introduction of ‘Bonus Time’ will thus actually improve the health and wellbeing of citizens.
    Last edited by Spock; 01-04-2009, 11:10 AM.
    "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

We should get rid of Imperial Time (two blocks of twelve hours) and go to Metric Time (two blocks of ten hours)!
    "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

Or we (correction, politicians) should stop piss farting around with stupid ideas and actually do their jobs to improve the state. If they're so bored as to bring up things like this, they should be made redundant because they're obviously not actually doing anything useful.
      http://jupiterstravellers.org

Comment

Originally posted by HotelBushranger View Post
        Or we (correction, politicians) should stop piss farting around with stupid ideas and actually do their jobs to improve the state. If they're so bored as to bring up things like this, they should be made redundant because they're obviously not actually doing anything useful.

Comment

Actually this works for me. I prefer staying up late and the idea that I can take that extra hour and sleep it off is sensational. Siestas FTW! The whole 24hr thing is arbitrary anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ;

Former Labor Minister John D'Orazio and Former Liberal leader Matt Birney....

LLC has just completed a multi-million dollar study for the WA Department of Premier and Cabinet ....

‘Bonus Time’ should be introduced by the government whether or not the public wants it.....
            Its hard to tell if this is an April Fools or not
            Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

Maybe I should have added a smiley face to my post...
              "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

It seems like a dumb idea so I would go with April fools, but it has been proven time and time again that the gov't are morons so I wouldn't put this sort of thing past them

Comment

Originally posted by taint View Post
                  It seems like a dumb idea
                  I don't think so. It's not as if it isn't a workable idea. What's not to like about an extra hour in the day?

A 24 hour day is after all, is a human construct and as Charles Czeisler, MD, PhD, said":

Many measurements led to the conclusion that the internal clock period is actually closer to 25 hours; that is, the biological clock was thought to drift toward a 25-hour day unless it is set back an hour each day by exposure to morning light and to external clocks. ...biological clock lore states that we drift to a later wake-up hour on weekends because we fail to reset the 25-hour cycle each morning as we go to work.
                  I think I am one of those people whose internal clock works to a 25 hour cycle. An extra hour a day would suit me. I hated daylight saving but a 25 hour day would be great.
                  "Live Long and Prosper"

Comment

my moneys on April fools joke
                    It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow

Comment

you guys are way too gullible.

Comment

Originally posted by Spock View Post
                        I don't think so. It's not as if it isn't a workable idea. What's not to like about an extra hour in the day?

A 24 hour day is after all, is a human construct and as Charles Czeisler, MD, PhD, said":

I think I am one of those people whose internal clock works to a 25 hour cycle. An extra hour a day would suit me. I hated daylight saving but a 25 hour day would be great.
                        Oh stop it Spock! :STICKPOKE:

Comment

Originally posted by shmoo View Post
                          you guys are way too gullible.
                          O'Rly?

PSB Conspiracy theory thread - 911 Twin Towers destroyed by Martians?

Ran to about 15 pages.
                          "Live Long and Prosper"

Comment

Hai guys.

Let's fuck up our business trading hours with the rest of the world even more, all in the name of increasing productivity and improving trade.

Sure, I'd love it if my life supported free running sleep (any time I haven't had to adhere to a strict schedule, my sleep cycle gets driven out by approximately 1-1.5 hours per day, so I can see that I'm one of the biologically inclined people to 25 hour days also), but this is getting beyond retarded. How retarded? Let me count the ways:

1) having enforced trading hours (this is the reason a 25 hour day is stupidly disruptive made explicit -- if legislation didn't exist for having to adhere to the state's clock, screwing with it wouldn't be an issue),
                            2) introducing daylight savings boundaries such they increase the business disruption, while simultaneously claiming that they'll reduce the impact of trading with states that have daylight savings (in other words, outright lying, or believing that time travel just involves changing the time on a clock)
                            3) fucking with a clock more than the rest of the country when the populace unanimously voted against it repeatedly

I mean, this shit is even more stupid than my mum working 9 hours for 8 hours' pay when the clock changed back.

Anyone have anything else to add to the stupid list? Government right now is looking like my chain of command at work.

Spoiler: show
                            e.g. I create some sort of document, pass it to my boss, who requests I make x changes, who passes it to his boss, who requests I make y changes (some of which were x changes to begin with, reversed), who passes it to his boss, who requests I make z changes... and when the final copy goes out, my boss asks me why x changes weren't made, then demands I make them despite his boss, blame traveling down to me all the way. Ultimately, the name and purpose of the document ends up changing, the document ends up tripling in length, and the people who read said document ask why the content has nothing to do with the title or objectives, is so convoluted, and why couldn't I do things the way that I'd originally done them.

Then there's the even funner documents. Where I hand them to the same person twice in a row and they end up criticising the changes they'd asked to be made in the first place.

It's getting so bad I've had to start employing user acceptance methodology just to get shit done at work now. If someone signs off on a design document, then complains about the final implementation, I have a rock hard copy of the fact they're complaining about their own requests and no longer cop any more blame. If only that meant that I got extensions on deadlines for having to change product A into product B despite only quoting x time units for product A.

/end rant

Comment

Xan, it's after midday dude. It's all over now.
                              In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                              Its the little things that make the difference
                              Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                              If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X