Mobile phone help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile phone help

Ok my !@#$box mobile phone (ZTE Telstra thing supposedly the ruggidised one) is falling apart I still have a bit to run on the plan. I was going to buy a phone outright stick the sim card in and run the plan out then contiune on a pay as you go rather than upgrading the phone on another plane.

I don't expect much from a phone but here's what I'm looking for.
    1.Must be next G compatible I work in remote locations.
    2. Must have the basic phone functions like any key answer (ZTE fails on this) and software not written by a complete moron.
    3. I would like it to outlast the plan it may be on basically I tend to run stuff until it colapses or doesn't do what I want it to do I stopped using a Motorola when they turned the network off I'd be still using it if they haven't.
    4. Ideally the software should be compatible with Lepoard/Imac.
    5. Compatible with a car kit
    6. been able to use as a computer modem may be handy.
    7. The function of the camera MP3 player internet software etc etc is irrelevant

My experince with ZTE thier after sales service and backup has completely put me off giving them any of my money ever again.

As I had such a good run out of the old Motorola I was looking at another one as these have a glass and aluminium case I have been told anything from these are good to they are crap depending on what the particular store was trying to sell.
    It was also suggested I get a Nokia 6110 navigator as these are pretty reliable (came from someone who repairs phones).
    Although someone else suggested if I wasn't going to use the navigator function (I'm too stingy to pay for it and i doubt I bother with it even if I did) it was a waste of time and these things fall apart. This guy was trying to sell me a tradies samsung phone dust proof weather proof etc etc although the software says nothing about MAC and he wasn't 100% it was compatible with next G.

I don't think I after much out a phone in the way of functions, the main thing is it must last rattling round exploration site in the pilbra I don't abuse my stuff but it gets a hard time due tot he eviroment etc etc.

So anyone go some collective ideas on what I should get, unlocked obiously.
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

I think I would be looking at a Nokia 6210 Classic NextG phone. They are the entry level NextG phone from Nokia. They are what we give our guys who go out to the mine sites.

AFAIK it fits pretty much all of your criteria

Oh and buy a decent rugged case for it.
    Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Yeh Morgs is on it. I have one and they are fine. The handset does get hot around the earpiece on a longer phone conversation though. There are a few issues with the phone but they can be fixed quite easily.

Comment

You're not alone with hating ZTE - they're totally shit. Both hardware and service...

As said, check out a cheap nokia.

Not sure what Samsung have in the same price range, but i have been impressed with their phones recently and the operating system does seem to be a bit "snappier". The recent nokias are a bit hit and miss with symbian (the OS) occasionally being slow.
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Anything that is running Symbian s60 v.3 os will be good enough.

Comment

It was also suggested I get a Nokia 6110 navigator as these are pretty reliable (came from someone who repairs phones)....
            Not Next G compatible, unfortunately.

Originally posted by Simonpink View Post
            Anything that is running Symbian s60 v.3 os will be good enough.
            Not if he needs Next G... He'll have to look at hardware first and then start looking at the OS they run.
            Either way what's with people loving Symbian? I find it a terrible OS to use, and wouldn't touch it if I could help it.

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
            I think I would be looking at a Nokia 6210 Classic NextG phone. They are the entry level NextG phone from Nokia. They are what we give our guys who go out to the mine sites.

AFAIK it fits pretty much all of your criteria
            +1 for the most part.

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
            1.Must be next G compatible I work in remote locations.
            2. Must have the basic phone functions like any key answer (ZTE fails on this) and software not written by a complete moron.
            3. I would like it to outlast the plan it may be on basically I tend to run stuff until it colapses or doesn't do what I want it to do I stopped using a Motorola when they turned the network off I'd be still using it if they haven't.
            4. Ideally the software should be compatible with Lepoard/Imac.
            5. Compatible with a car kit
            6. been able to use as a computer modem may be handy.
            7. The function of the camera MP3 player internet software etc etc is irrelevant...
            What you say car kit, do you mean an external antenna connection or just something handsfree?
            Because that will change things slightly... You can get car kits for loads of phones, but not a lot of them take external antennas... (Such as the Nokia 6120 mentioned above).

If you want something with an external antenna, you will need to look back into a ZTE (165i maybe?) or a Samsung (A411) or LG (KF390) among others... I've been out of Telstra for a little while so I'm not 100% sure on which newer phones can do it, but there aren't many anyway.

Otherwise the 6120 would be my pick... Good coverage, cheap and will do the job.
            Syncs with OS X (might need a plugin for iSync) and can use a passive antenna connection in a car kit (vs a direct one) if required.

If you like a phone, just check to see if it is Next G compatible before buying it, because even if you get it unlocked unless it has the right hardware it won't work.
            You want a phone that supports 3G on the 850MHz band, so look in the tech specs for UMTS/HSDPA 850 support, and that will tell you which ones will work.
            Also be careful, as there are several versions of some phones that some companies sell, which may appear to be the same as the Telstra one but aren't as they don't support that Next G frequency (eg SE C905, Nokia N95, Motorola V9, Samsung F480).

Comment

I know this might sound a bit counter-intuitive.... but...

If you want something that works well with OS/X, and is durable, and does nextG... the iphone 3G is not bad at all (it works on telstra NextG despite the name).

The only issue i have with it is that when it is in HOT weather, the touch screen gets a little tricky to use due to not sensing the heat of your finger compared to the ambient air very well.

But in terms of durability - we have yet to have anyone at work destroy it to the point where it was not usable.

Poor treatment has included being immersed in water (worked fine after drying out - the guy is still using it 6+ months later), multiple drops onto concrete/bitumen from 3-4 feet height... a couple of guys have managed to crack the glass screen, but they still worked.

For a "pretty wanky" device, they are really quite tough.... i expected us to need to replace them on a regular basis.

And all that punishment has been WITHOUT a protective case, btw.... put a protective case on it and i reckon you'd be hard pressed to kill one without severe, deliberate maltreatment...

The iphone will work with a blueant bluetooth car kit... modem for computer access is a no-go without hacking the firmware, but then you can do most of the computer type shit necessary for business on the actual iphone... browsing, email etc is fine...
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

The 6210 classic runs s60 v3 padfoot.
                As for loving Symbian, I only like s60. Using s40 is like masturbating with sandpaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Simonpink View Post
                  The 6210 classic runs s60 v3 padfoot.
                  As for loving Symbian, I only like s60.
                  Yeah I know, but not all Symbian phones will work on Next G is what I was getting at... No use in buying a 6210 Nav or whatever because it won't work for him
                  Using s40 is like masturbating with sandpaper.

Comment

Working...
                  X