Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Thread for Random Photos (That dont deserve their thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messing about at 2am. Single exposure.

Comment

• No restrictions going in there at night?
      Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

• Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
        No restrictions going in there at night?
        Nope (except a no camping rule). There is no gate, and an "honesty box" to pay and register entry (which I paid). It's an amazing place in the wee hours with no-one around - eerie for the first 30 mins or so tho'

Last time I was there at night there were a few other photographers (moonless night) but a moon seems to put some people off trying astro landscapes it seems. Sure beats f#%king about with torches and light painting for in-camera results.

Comment

• Awesome, I've got a yearly parks pass and can pop into all state parks as often as I chose for "free". Very very handy.

And as for the moon, unless you want to use it, it's often regarded as light pollution. All comes down to the effect one is going for I guess.
          Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

• Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
            it's often regarded as light pollution. All comes down to the effect one is going for I guess.
            Yeah, it usually is, but as long as it isn't smack in the middle of the Milky Way and you're far out of town, you can still get some decent sky detail. A full moon pretty much kills everything tho. As it gets lower in the sky and away from the MW you get more contrast as well.

As you say, it's all about the desired effect - and experimenting is 90% of the fun

Comment

• That pano and the rapidly shifting shadows off the pinnacles is making my brain hurt. Once you encompass beyond our standard 114 degrees field of view (thanks Google!), things rapidly get strange.
              For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
              For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

• Originally posted by Barfridge View Post
                That pano and the rapidly shifting shadows off the pinnacles is making my brain hurt. Once you encompass beyond our standard 114 degrees field of view (thanks Google!), things rapidly get strange.
                It's The Mountains of Madness (thanks H.P. Lovecraft) - the angles no longer make sense!

Comment

• Originally posted by Skut View Post
                  Finally got some time at the Pinnacles again. This time with a partial moon lighting the place up.

Stitched panorama, but single exposure for sky and foreground, no compositing.

You've captured a moving transit.. I'll guess it's the ISS..we had it pass last week ( i can't fin day and time 6.43 pm KTA sorry mate I hate to unsub...facts are so much cooler )
                  " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

• Naw, it's just aircraft.

Comment

Naw, it's just aircraft.
                      I guess like the shadow orientation the aircraft track is an effect of the stitched panorama?

Good pic BTW.

EDIT: just read earlier. re shadows. Also mountains of madness was blackfeather
                      The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
                        I guess like the shadow orientation the aircraft track is an effect of the stitched panorama?

Good pic BTW.

EDIT: just read earlier. re shadows. Also mountains of madness was blackfeather
                        Yep, the angle full angle of view is at least 180 degrees, with the Moon on the far right. The exposures were 15sec with 15sec dark-frame in between each shot (for sensor noise removal), hence breaks in the plane lights.

My reference was the HP Lovecraft short story (Cool track tho!)

Comment

Yep, the angle full angle of view is at least 180 degrees, with the Moon on the far right. The exposures were 15sec with 15sec dark-frame in between each shot (for sensor noise removal), hence breaks in the plane lights.

My reference was the HP Lovecraft short story (Cool track tho!)
                          As was Blackfeather's

Yeah getting night shots with the moon and stars involved is a lot of work to get right. A good effort.

Comment

• Moonless nights are more dramatic - but more labour intensive...

Comment

Moonless nights are more dramatic - but more labour intensive...

Now that's the stuff.

Off to the desert with you, there's still some Perth light pollution in the bottom of frame

Comment

• Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
                                Now that's the stuff.

Off to the desert with you,
                                Would love to. Had a commissioned job the day before the recent trip and got home a couple days later to do another with about an hours sleep between. Government departments and Universities are too good regular work and always pay on time - can't let that go

Comment

Working...
                                X