Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Thread for Random Photos (That dont deserve their thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by claymen View Post
    Yer the Sigma would make for a mint lens, but then articles like this make me think a tracker could be an even better option https://petapixel.com/2017/07/19/don...os-less-money/

So rather than running the shutter for longer, use tracking to mitigate the star trails.

The Rokinon plus the tracker would be a pretty cool combo. Makes me wonder how a Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 plus a tracker could work... then again need to look at the coma etc on that (haven't checked off hand).
    Trackers make more sense for deep sky objects (nebulae etc) and longer focal lengths. Wide field astro normally includes foreground which is gonna be a mess with tracking mount.

Getting my head around stacking software/processing and another crack at the Orion Nebula from the backyard with the usual light pollution etc. Heading down south in a couple of weeks so will be mixing up wide-field and attempting some deep sky stuff (even if I don't really have the kit for it).

Last edited by Skut; 17-01-2019, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skut View Post
      Trackers make more sense for deep sky objects (nebulae etc) and longer focal lengths. Wide field astro normally includes foreground which is gonna be a mess with tracking mount.
      You could just do a composite, rather than trying to get it all in one shot. Get your foreground as you want it, then get the stars with tracking and merge the two. Not like it isn't done, and no different than doing things like trying to light the area whilst doing long exposure, it's all ways of manipulating the environment/image in one way or another.

Comment

• Originally posted by ranmar850 View Post
        I read some detailed reviews before settling on the Samyang. It rated very highly for lack of distortion in the corners with stars. One review gave actual magnified examples vs another big name, more expensive lens, and it stacked up very well indeed.
        Link to ebay seller https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samyang-...72.m2749.l2649
        Good seller recommendation. Arrived today. Thanks

Nice thing about the Sony mirrorless mount is that not having electronic contacts doesn't affect focus peeking or digital zoom to get focus nailed (just tested it). Dumb lenses with good glass are perfect for this camera.

Comment

• Milky Way losing the fight against city light pollution...

Comment

• Doing well to get anything in central Perth--i don't know if I've ever seen a star down there. i'm spoilt where I live...was that shot with the new lens?
            " Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill"

Comment

• Originally posted by Skut View Post

Getting my head around stacking software/processing and another crack at the Orion Nebula from the backyard with the usual light pollution etc. Heading down south in a couple of weeks so will be mixing up wide-field and attempting some deep sky stuff (even if I don't really have the kit for it).

Not too shabby at all for an unguided pic

I have an Orion Mini EQ (EQ1M) lying around here somewhere that you are welcome to borrow if you wanted to try some ‘guided’ shots on your trip. It has the axis drive upgrade to make things a little easier.
              Originally posted by Abraham Lincoln
              "The problem with internet quotes, is that you can never be sure they are real".

Comment

Doing well to get anything in central Perth--i don't know if I've ever seen a star down there. i'm spoilt where I live...was that shot with the new lens?
                Yup, had just watched a film at UWA so wandered across to see what I could get. Alignment was perfect, but the lighting is what it is. I haven't done more than basic tweaks in Capture One so I might be able to bring more out with more editing.

Originally posted by NAK3D View Post
                Not too shabby at all for an unguided pic

I have an Orion Mini EQ (EQ1M) lying around here somewhere that you are welcome to borrow if you wanted to try some ‘guided’ shots on your trip. It has the axis drive upgrade to make things a little easier.
                Cheers, I may well take you up on that generous offer

Comment

• So today we got told we had to start an hour late and go to the Derisional Meeting, fuck I mean Divisional Meeting.
                  A Derisional Meeting is when one of the Big Chief Wankers comes down from the Ivory Tower at Bullshit Castle and talks at us scumbags that do the fieldwork.
                  Now this threw my routine right out of wack, I was down to 60 KMH on the Freeway at 0540, I would normally be travelling at *cough* 99.99 KMH, then were all the fuckers who blocked up the left lane too. I finally got to work and the yard was crowded with people I don't normally see...
                  I was in a foul mood by then, I never got my jacket off nor the bike cover out of my locker when I decided I was "unfit for work" the Boss wasn't too happy but my mood lit up straightaway and I tootled off for a coffee at Gingers Roadhouse. Over a coffee I decide to head up the Roller Coaster and on to O'Briens Rd, and that's where I saw this. I had to stop and get a shot of it...

RANDOM SHIT,
                  8 seconds of your life you'll never get back.
                  The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
                  G T

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Trident View Post
                    So today we got told we had to start an hour late and go to the Derisional Meeting, fuck I mean Divisional Meeting.
                    A Derisional Meeting is when one of the Big Chief Wankers comes down from the Ivory Tower at Bullshit Castle and talks at us scumbags that do the fieldwork.
                    Now this threw my routine right out of wack, I was down to 60 KMH on the Freeway at 0540, I would normally be travelling at *cough* 99.99 KMH, then were all the fuckers who blocked up the left lane too. I finally got to work and the yard was crowded with people I don't normally see...
                    I was in a foul mood by then, I never got my jacket off nor the bike cover out of my locker when I decided I was "unfit for work" the Boss wasn't too happy but my mood lit up straightaway and I tootled off for a coffee at Gingers Roadhouse. Over a coffee I decide to head up the Roller Coaster and on to O'Briens Rd, and that's where I saw this. I had to stop and get a shot of it...

RANDOM SHIT,
                    8 seconds of your life you'll never get back.
                    Ha ha, we know the seabreeeze is getting really fresh up here when the roadside markers are are oscillating madly . And they're not even bent...
                    " Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill"

Comment

• One of a few from some days down south. Was out til about 2am most nights, lurking on beaches, clambering on rocks, and splashing about in the dark.

Bioluminescence in the bottom right corner is a cute bonus

Comment

Ha ha, we know the seabreeeze is getting really fresh up here when the roadside markers are are oscillating madly . And they're not even bent...
                        That "Sea Breeze" came all the way from the Tasman.
                        The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
                        G T

Comment

• GEH this morning

Comment

• Some old 1800s locks stunning

Comment

• Originally posted by keys View Post
                              Some old 1800s locks stunning
                              Is that what you learnt your trade on
                              #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                              Originally posted by Phildo
                              Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                              Originally posted by filbert
                              i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                              Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

• Originally posted by Hillz View Post
                                GEH this morning

RockinghamStoners.com.au ?
                                " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Working...
                                X