Are People Parasites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are People Parasites?

Brendan O'Neill - Beware the greenies that think people are parasites.

This is a bit of an oddly aimed column from O'Neill, he picks apart two extremist green groups - fair play - but then moves on to say that rather than taking a step back and approaching sustainable lifestyles, we should continue to "humanise" the planet, as well as others. The insinuation is that our planet is somewhat more valuable for us having the ability to affect it, rather than it being "another pointless planet orbiting the sun".

Normally I'm all for slandering eco groups for their militant stance on many people's lifestyles and political rhetoric, but O'Neill's rhetoric is just as uncomfortable at times as well...
    Originally posted by Ferris
    I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

We'll always be just another pointless planet orbiting the sun anyway. At least if we become sustainable the carbon footprint will be lower and we can all live healthier.

Title is misleading, I was expecting a rant about selfish human beings.

Comment

Originally posted by Bendito
      If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

For all its worthy content this is a pretty unbalanced piece. All it really does is announce the arrival of a new cringe from the fringe - with terrorist blood a-pumping in their veins.

I do find it satisfying that the piece highlights the grossly inappropriate credo of man's dominion on the planet/in the creation. Subjugation of nature is unspeakably ignorant and this lesson has never been more apparent, but the proposition that this should be dealt with by revolutionary processes to accomlish the destruction of man is similarly ignorant (IMHO).

Equilibrium is a natural end-point in any disturbed natural system and awaits the realisation/conclusion of any process, man's advantage in the creation, lies in the capacity of the species to appreciate and use this in a systemically restorative way.

I enjoyed the doco on Fox looking at Chernobyl (amongst other derelict sites) 20 years on, and the way that nature was just sucking it all back up.... totally encouraging and illustrative.

Comment

I didn't really find it all that unbalanced though, O'Neill shifts from rubbishing extreme green groups in it's first half to then continue on with a line of argument akin to, because we can we should keep shaping the world. Albeit he used slightly more sophisticated language, but at the heart of his argument was a petition for us to alleviate a cultural guilt over our collective treatment of the environment.

You mention equilibrium as an end point, and in a systems approach - you're right - a natural equilibrium will be reached, but I don't think it's really going to happen before there is an equilibrium reached on the rhetoric being used by policy makers, criticisers, environmentalists and scientists.

To draw a comparison, I found this article a bit like reading the antifeminist articles written by borderline apologetic women born during the 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by randomman View Post
            We'll always be just another pointless planet orbiting the sun anyway. At least if we become sustainable the carbon footprint will be lower and we can all live healthier.
            "Carbon footprint", nice to see you buying into mass media hype. If you were actually as intelligent as you like to think, and were able to think for yourself, you would have read up and realised that carbon and other "greenhouse gas" (to coin a term of your mass hysteria lexicon that you'll understand) emissions have no discernible effect or relation on climate warming.
            Seriously, some of the shit you type and the conclusions you jump to makes you look like an utter fool.

Comment

Fuck you're a cry baby. If you can't cope with being dealt shit maybe you should stop dealing shit.

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
              you would have read up and realised that carbon and other "greenhouse gas" (to coin a term of your mass hysteria lexicon that you'll understand) emissions have no discernible effect or relation on climate warming
              Thanks Princess. If you read up, you'll realise I never said carbon and GHG had anything to do with global warming.

On a more related note, do you care to prove that being around combustion engines that run on fossil fuels on a daily basis is not bad for your health?

Comment

Fuck you're a cry baby. If you can't cope with being dealt shit maybe you should stop dealing shit.

Thanks Princess. If you read up, you'll realise I never said carbon and GHG had anything to do with global warming.

On a more related note, do you care to prove that being around combustion engines that run on fossil fuels on a daily basis is not bad for your health?
                Human health has been improving at an ever increasing rate over the period of time that it has been recorded. Just take a look at our expected life and height increases over 100 years. Whatever we are burning is being more than cancelled out by improvements in many other areas. Global warming is a theory, and a fucking pathetic one at that. Note that is has now been changed to 'Climate Change' as records across Europe and other places have shown a solid decline in temperatures. Please don't get me into this shit.

Comment

Fuck you're a cry baby.
                  Thanks Princess.
                  hehehe

Dear cry baby princess hippie,
                  Being around a combustion engine has a positive impact on my life on a daily basis and is therefore good for my health.
                  ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by polony View Post
                    ...Global warming is a theory, and a fucking pathetic one at that. Note that is has now been changed to 'Climate Change' as records across Europe and other places have shown a solid decline in temperatures...
                    'Global Warming' to 'Climate Change'. Arguing semantics is not arguing the issue.

As for it being a pathetic theory, I thought it was proven fact. But hey, I think the rhetoric has become a more consuming argument rather than the issue itself. Nothing like procrastination.

Comment

Human health has been improving
                      I don't think that's actually true, I do believe that technology is actually improving that allows us to stay alive for longer, doesn't make us healthier though.

Originally posted by Maxo View Post
                      Being around a combustion engine has a positive impact on my life on a daily basis and is therefore good for my health.
                      Shhh electric motors have torque from 1rpm so they're good for insta-burnouts.

Comment

My fossil fueled vehicle is like my nasal delivery technology.
                        Get me excited.

Comment

earth first! we'll strip mine the other planets later.
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Global warming is a theory, and a fucking pathetic one at that.
                            You're wrong.

We've been living in a temperate ice age for several millenia now. The Earth's mean temperature, and the one that it will slowly return to, is warmer than it presently is now.

Global warming will, and frequently does - over a geologic timescale - happen.

As to whether or not out presence on the planet is causing global warming to occur faster or not is what the debate should be more centered on.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglehorn View Post
                              'Global Warming' to 'Climate Change'. Arguing semantics is not arguing the issue.

As for it being a pathetic theory, I thought it was proven fact. But hey, I think the rhetoric has become a more consuming argument rather than the issue itself. Nothing like procrastination.
                              If you think 'global warming' is a proven fact then you have bought into the bullshit and do not have the necessary background knowledge to comment on the issue.

And lefty, I know the global cycles in weather do occur over a long period of time, but the term global warming refers to human impressions that affect that weather cycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X