F1 Farce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Farce

HOW BAD WAS THE F1 on the weekend? If ANYONE AT ALL who reads this is into m-sport, let me know your opinions, it really was farcical, and as clear evidence as ever that Ferrari have too much influence in the sport. The 6 car gp was insulting to everyone, most of all the F1 fans. and will probably be the beginning of the end for the sport. Its proof positive that the "one tyre" rule is a BAD idea. and needs to be scrapped ASAP. It is unfair to the fans to do an economy run on tyres. General spending caps would do more for the sport. Cap each teams spending ability to a certain amount. the smaller teams will be closer to the bigger teams, in spending terms, and the teams with the most efficient use of funds will be better off.

I really like this idea. now just a way to put it up.... it probably has numerous limitations I cant see at the mo, but I will ponder it more and write more later...

F1 really needs something DRASTIC to happen. I hope it does soon.
    The Twitter

It's a difficult one. I can understand where Ferrari is coming from. It is not their fault that Michelin's tyres were not up to the conditions. They are there to win a championship and being the only competitive team in the race would be very tempting. That said I think that the fans suffered and that F1 in the USA has been dealt a blow it may not recover from. The promoter is gonna want blood. They've got angry customers over something completely beyond their control.

I hate the new rules. F1 started to go to hell when they booted Goodyear out by changing the tyres from slick to grooved. Nothing has been changed for the better since. The only way to attempt to correct the farce F1 has become is by taking it all back about 8 years.

I have very little sympathy for the lower teams and think that changing the rules to favour the lowest common denominator is ridiculous. If you can't afford to be there - sod off. Ferrari have had the biggest budget for years and it did them no good whatsoever until they used it to bring Mr Schumacher into the fold.

There is a cycle to F1. Eventually someone would have beaten Ferrari without the need to resort to rule changes. Before Ferrari it was McLaren. Before that - Williams. I'd rather see Ferrari winning everything than end up with a sterile 2 manufacturer control tyre sport with no character. It isn't about the driver. It never has been. Formula 1 used to be about politics, tactics, team orders and money. Personally I loved that. The sport is being slowly but surely destroyed. This is just another nail in the coffin. With the rule changes it still won't be about the best driver - it will be about who can nurse an ailing machine the farthest. Who can nurse tyres and engines. The top teams can still afford to employ the best people and spend the most on making the best of what they've got. The out and out passion of the sport is dissipating rapidly and I am yet to see Minardi holding a trophy aloft so the lesser teams are not benefiting so far.

If the ridiculous tyre rule hadn't been brought in there would have been no problem this weekend. Maybe there should be the ability that in circumstances where safety is an issue an allowance can be made. (It would be exploited of course, though!! Probably by Ferrari!) But as the tyre rule is there - I think the only solution would be as Paul Stoddart said... Allow the tyre change and let them all run for placings but punish the Michelin runners by not awarding them points. Sponsors are happy - fans see some racing. I also think the racing would have been more exciting because they (Michelin runners) would have had nothing to lose. I don't agree with the chicane idea as it is ridiculous to suggest that the circuit should have been changed because one manufacturer can't get their shit together. In the end Ferrari is copping shit for something that is the fault of Michelin primarily and the FIA secondly. As usual only the fans suffer.

Okay - I'm stepping out of rant mode - I'm gonna stop before I start on the new rule changes!

Let the flaming begin; I'm heading back to the bike topics!!
    "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

Michelin were not up to scratch, for the first time this season. The only other time i can remember michelin's being worse than bridgestone was at monaco GP where the michelins wore horribly. Other than that the michelin equipped cars have, in general, been at an advantage this season. I also think that it sucked that they had a 6 car GP, i did not even bother to watch.

Comment

your correct the race wash a sham, It should never have gone ahead.The FIA are a bunch of idiots.
        If there was a safety concern then it should have been addressed, as far as I know there were two options,

1, Allow Michellin to bring in new tyres

2, To place a chicane before the corner where Ralf went off.

The FIA were to stuborn and pigheaded to agree to either of these so they ended up looking stupid in front of not only America where they desperatly want to win support but the whole world.

It should be the FIA's head on the chopping block....

I personaly would ban pit stops all together, because a race should never be decided on pit stops or who goes long or short......THATS NOT RACING.
        Racing is all about driving, so lets get the drivers in there cars at the start and let them go out and fight for there place alone.

As far as cost cuts go, It's the very top of the sport FFS, so if you can afford it get the fark out......How many top runners have had there races spoilt by the 4 mobile chicanes ( 2 Jordans and 2 Minadrie's ) I know these teams try really hard but if you aint got the money for F1 try and formula.

End of my rant

Comment

Originally posted by Everyone@Jan 01 9999, 12:12 AM
          Words from everyone

Race sucked, wasnt worth staying up from, yes farcical, yes should have been stopped, but what were the going to do? refund 100 000 odd tickets?

Comment

Originally posted by snowman95@Jun 21 2005, 07:12 PM
            but what were the going to do? refund 100 000 odd tickets?
            [snapback]130529[/snapback]
            You may find that they have to do that anyway. Fans didn't get what they paid to see. The US is the Litigatory(is that a word?) capital of the world. I'm thinking they'll end up having to fork out big time over this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ice@Jun 21 2005, 07:15 PM
              You may find that they have to do that anyway.  Fans didn't get what they paid to see.  The US is the Litigatory(is that a word?) capital of the world.  I'm thinking they'll end up having to fork out big time over this.
              [snapback]130530[/snapback]
              Litigious

Just saw on Toyota world sport on SBS that one dude just filled a class action law suit, and YES refunds may be on the cards :o

Comment

Originally posted by snowman95@Jun 21 2005, 07:20 PM
                Litigious 

Just saw on Toyota world sport on SBS that one dude just filled a class action law suit, and YES refunds may be on the cards  :o
                [snapback]130532[/snapback]
                Litigious - Thank you!! I knew it didn't look right!!

And that's after one day. Imagine what it'll be like in a week when everyone else jumps on the bandwagon!

Comment

bit passionate about the f1 people (espescially you ice )

whats worth watching
                  race starts.....cars go round and round with pit stops to mix it up a little......ferrari win.....race finished

Comment

Originally posted by horse@Jun 22 2005, 12:33 AM
                    bit passionate about the f1 people (espescially you ice  )

whats worth watching
                    race starts.....cars go round and round with pit stops to mix it up a little......ferrari win.....race finished
                    [snapback]130590[/snapback]

u like the motogp? the motogp is bikes, so its better, but the F1 is good to watch as well. Especially when MS crashes!!!
                    The Twitter

Comment

i don't think spending limits are the way to go... that is what f1 is about... technology, and fast cars... thats what makes them interesting. if you limit the money or make "standards" that they can get to you might as well go indy car racing...

gordo is right about pit stops. I wouldn't say ban them but i would say do not make them compulsory... if you want to stop for tyres/fuel then do... if you think that helps your race. but if you can make it full distance without stopping and your the first one there... wicked...

I think maybe what they should do is shorten the race distance. this would make less stress on cars = less money, less tyres, less wear and tear...

just a thought
                      tba.....

Comment

the way i see it F1 is the pinnacle of 4 wheeled motorsport as far as technology and performance (not necessarily entertainment). the idea should be to develop the fastest/highest performing machines the human race is capable of making. there are plenty of lower spec forms of motorsport for the teams that cant afford that. putting budget caps on f1 would be like putting a budget cap on the US/Russian race to be the first on the moon. its supposed to be fought at the limit of human achievement.
                        Originally posted by Friedrich Hayek
                        "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

Comment

Originally posted by dr00@Jun 22 2005, 11:58 AM
                          the way i see it F1 is the pinnacle of 4 wheeled motorsport as far as technology and performance
                          [snapback]130690[/snapback]
                          Knowing the delusional arrogance of the Americans they probably think their NASCAR thing is the 'pinnacle of 4 wheeled motorsport' -even more so after last weekend.

I found it all very ammusing, best F1 coverage for a long time. Although I must admit I turned off not long after the race had actually started.

Personally I'm in the 'rules are rules' camp, Michellin stuffed up -game over. Maybe Bridgestone should have offered tyres to the other teams just for the weekend.

-goof

Comment

You can't argue it was Michelin's fault for not supplying tyres that could last the race. You could argue it was the teams' fault for not saying "Fine, we'll race, but we're gonna go slow around that last bend".

The idea of putting in a chicane because a tyre manufacturer can't get their compounds right is ricockulous. Ferrari had tyres that would last the race, and as such should've been allowed to race.

But if I went to the race I'd be asking for my money back...

Comment

Originally posted by number9@Jun 22 2005, 03:23 PM
                              You can't argue it was Michelin's fault for not supplying tyres that could last the race. You could argue it was the teams' fault for not saying "Fine, we'll race, but we're gonna go slow around that last bend".
                              [snapback]130760[/snapback]
                              Of course we can argue that! The product was substandard and not up to race conditions. What were the teams supposed to race on? Hopes and dreams?

My understanding is Michelin withdrew their product for use due to safety concerns. Do you honestly think the teams wouldn't have raced if given the option? David Coulthard was heard on telecasts saying he wanted to race. Michelin ruled they couldn't.

The whole 'we'll go slow around the last bend' was a ridiculous suggestion from the FIA. The very idea that in a fight for position a driver should go 'oh, wait, I gotta slow down for this corner here, I'll get back to racing you in a moment' and either let the other guy through or create a dangerous mobile chicane is insane.

EDIT: number9 I absolutley agree with your other comments though!!

Comment

Working...
                              X