How good are cordless tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good are cordless tools?

I think most people will agree that a decent cordless drill is an awesome bit of kit to have, for its performance,convenience etc.

Without getting into specific brands, how good are the other cordless tools? eg rotary hammer drills, jigsaws, circular saws, angle grinders etc
    Are they powerful enough to do the job properly, or do they take twice aslong as a corded counterpart?
    Do they discharge the batteries in 2 minutes?
    Is the quality there?

Im in the market for a jigsaw and circular saw, and figure since Ive already got a Hitachi cordless drill and batteries which I'm really happy with, I would look at spending the extra dollars and go cordless.

Cheers
    Respect is earned, not enforced.

Cordless has come a long way. With decent gear and a spare battery, there's no need to have mains on site.
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

I've got the Makita circular and jigsaw, cordless drill and collated screwgun with the lithium ion batteries and they are great.

I only use the jigsaw and circular saw every now and then though, so don't really know how the batteries go...

I've used the ryobi plus 1 range of cordless tools (grinder and circular saw) and wouldn't waste the money on them.

Comment

Aphex are you serious? Mate I would like to see you build a roof with just cordless gear on site. I have a few cordless tools, but you cant beat the real tools. In my opinion alot of the cordless tools are just toys, but dont get me wrong they are very handy to have, but dont have the power to be efficiant on site.

Comment

Originally posted by Hartfield View Post
          Aphex are you serious? Mate I would like to see you build a roof with just cordless gear on site. I have a few cordless tools, but you cant beat the real tools. In my opinion alot of the cordless tools are just toys, but dont get me wrong they are very handy to have, but dont have the power to be efficiant on site.

Yes. yes I am serious. My guys use a combination of Hilti & Dewalt cordless on site with no issues. They've used the Hilti TE5 24v drilling 25mm holes through concrete all day. Far from a toy and far from lacking in power and efficiency. Saves time piss farting about with stupid lengths of extension cords and having other inconsiderate fuckers on site pulling your cord out. Even worse on union sites, having to muck around with cable stands everywhere. God send when working with EWPs. Works for us mate.
          In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
          Its the little things that make the difference
          Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
          If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Aphex View Post
            Cordless has come a long way. With decent gear and a spare battery, there's no need to have mains on site.
            Bingo.
            Buy yourself a few spare batteries though, they do last a while just not all day.
            Things like a circular saw and jigsaw will drain them faster than a drill.
            They have comparable power to mains tools.
            I wouldn't hesitate to go all cordless, and if it's only for home stuff, it'll last forever.

Comment

Fair enough . They do have the power to match cord tools, it was more the things like circular saws ect I was refering to. And yes I do agree its a big hassel with leads, but with our work the cordless gear wouldnt cut it.

Comment

Not a fan of dewalt. Had one of their drills for a while and the chuck kept buggering up. I have a Makita now and it just wont die. If you're going to get a cordless, don't get anything less than 18V.

"Always out-numbered, never out-gunned"

Comment

Duffman, what do you plan to use it for? Home DIY work Trade type work and how much do you plan to use it?

Comment

If you are intending on using a cordless saw for all day you will go through the batteries pretty quickly they are mainly for light stuff anyway. So if you need it for heavy duty work go for a corded saw. But if you want a powerful cordless saw go for a DeWalt 36v cordless saw they mean business.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentry View Post
                      Not a fan of dewalt. Had one of their drills for a while and the chuck kept buggering up. I have a Makita now and it just wont die. If you're going to get a cordless, don't get anything less than 18V.
                      All my Makita gear is 14.4V I can use my collated gun with drill point screws into 2-3mm steel for about 4-5 hours.

I'm not saying 18v isn't better, but I reckon the 12 or 14 stuff is good enough for what I do and its heaps lighter

Comment

Also don't think anyones mentioned it, but my batteries are fully charged in an hour, If you had 2 or 3 tools with the same battery you could get away with only needing 1 charger.

Comment

My father in law places apprentices with workshops etc and he reckons that the Hitachi's are the way to go.
                          DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.

Comment

I normally buy $$$ battery drills but they never seem to last two years so this time I bought a cheap Ozito kit that is 18 volt with drill, saw, recipro saw and light for $400 and it has lithium batterys with 15min charge and 3 year replacement warranty for trade use.

I've had it about 2 months now and it hasn't missed a beat so far but if anything does happen then they just give me a brand new tool instead of losing it for a month+ for warranty to fix it, I had a $700 24 volt bosch drill that spent 7 months of the first year at warranty so the replacement idea I think is great.

Comment

Have used cordless angle grinder...

Wouldn't say it was great but it worked...

The biggest plus is the convenience...

If you just need to cut a bolt or something out in the yard it takes less time and hassle than running out huge lengths of extension cord or setting up a generator...

Comment

Working...
                              X