USS George Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Just to clear up a few 'misconceptions' about US carriers. The two main reasons the 'George Washington' is not able to come into the Inner Harbour are because it is nuclear powered and its draft.

The length overall, beam of the hull and width of the flight deck of the 'George Washington', are almost the same (within 2 or 3 metres) as the conventionally powered carriers like the 'Constellation' & 'Kittyhawk', which regularly berthed at the Passenger Terminal.

The big difference is the displacement tonnage, which means it has a deeper draft. Consequently, there is insufficient water under the hull to comply with strict USN regulations to do with the cooling water intakes for nuclear power plants.

If the nuclear power 'ban' were to be revoked sometime in the future, it would be feasible for the nuclear carriers to berth. By then there should be sufficient Under Keel Clearance once the next major Inner Harbour dredging campaign (scheduled for the end of this year) is completed when the harbour depth will be down to 15 metres.
      Attached Files
      sigpic Avatar: Sunburnt Photography. Signature: Ozboy

Comment

Cheers for the info Vince
        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

boat nerds
          Originally posted by vk6hgr
          My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

Comment

All i am thinking is heaps of sailors and heaps of ugly chicks, neither being a good thing and worst of all i have to go out this weekend

On the other note its a cool ship i bet if you had one of them you can take over a small country, has to to be like one of the pacific islands

Comment

jeez its rusty.

Comment

woot i found some contacts im going on tomoz (cadets is good for something )
                Master of the missed signals

Comment

Originally posted by Daise View Post
                  boat nerds
                  ship nerds

Comment

I'm working for the USN at the moment and still can not get on board.

Comment

Yeah, it looks like it could do with a lick of paint ha ha. The pictures must be from an angle which makes it look like all those airplanes are on the deck as there'd be no room for them all downstairs!
                      Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

Comment

Originally posted by Rider View Post
                        All i am thinking is heaps of sailors and heaps of ugly chicks, neither being a good thing and worst of all i have to go out this weekend
                        Even the uglies need a good seeing to..
                        Originally posted by Abuse this
                        Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

funny as shit, i went on there, and saw where the sailors clock out/log out from the ship, and the table down there was FULL of condoms, i think millions of semen will be left behind in perth after the carrier has left
                          Master of the missed signals

Comment

Originally posted by kriso View Post
                            jeez its rusty.

would just be surface rust...
                            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by kriso View Post
                              jeez its rusty.
                              Is that the brown stuff running out the side of the boat?
                              thought it was something else
                              National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

yeah i have been on the carlvinson ,kitty hawk, ranger most of the ones that have been here used to be really big when i was younger ferries going out to the carriers awesome machinery got to eat pringles before they were sold here found out why they could crush cool drink cans with one hand we still had steel cans here not aluminium

Comment

Working...
                                X