Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

taking Road Safety into your own hands...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrap
    replied
    Excellant, new Western Australian Export Market.

We've got a heap of rock throwing f***wits here. Lets do the hunaitarian thing and send them to China to promote traffic safety.

Leave a comment:

• Tannhauser
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
    Erm

WA: 217 deaths / 2 200 000 = 98 per million
    China: 75000 deaths / 1 328 000 000 = 56 per million.
    Of whom only 6 or 7 can afford a car?

(Holy crap, by that reckoning, every driver in China will die 950,000 times over this year. Wait a second...)

Leave a comment:

• Band-Aid
    replied
    So, erm, bandaid, are you suggesting that because I'm Chinese and don't earn enough money to own a car then I'm not worthy of being included in stats?

That's harsh, man...
    lol....uhhh...no? Where'd you pull that from? I didn't suggest that. I was making the point that it's hard to compare road deaths between Oz and China with total deaths or per capita figures. If it makes you happier I believe per capita figures have more relevance than just a number of total deaths.

What I was alluding to was that there are going to be other factors that skew the stats. That's all

"hard to compare easily at all really"

Leave a comment:

• Infusi0n
    replied
    I know that statistically it doesn't look that bad, but 75,000 people is just a lot. Given that stats however i can see that if WA had an elevated population rate theoretically we would also have a similar number. Just seems like so many people.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Starfish
    replied
    Yeah, I'm bored and went looking coz I had a hunch.

Leave a comment:

• Wilson
    replied
    Erm

If your question was rhetorical, you should have posted this initally instead of giving me the opportunity to look like a jackass (which I obligingly took)

Unless you had to go look the stats up, which I was clearly too lazy to do.

I was under the impression that the relatively high rural population might be what's influencing the stats (what Band Aid is referring to, I think), but apparently it's 55% rural, 45% urban, so that still leaves just the urban population to have a similar fatality rate to all of WA (urban and rural).

Leave a comment:

• Captain Starfish
    replied
    So, erm, bandaid, are you suggesting that because I'm Chinese and don't earn enough money to own a car then I'm not worthy of being included in stats?

That's harsh, man...

Leave a comment:

• shmoo
    replied
    I'd say thats partly the point being made. Stats mean 2 fifths of fuck all.

Leave a comment:

• Band-Aid
    replied
    Erm

There might be a discrepancy between how many people actually drive cars and use the roads as well though. etc etc

hard to directly compare with per capita figures...hard to compare easily at all really

Leave a comment:

• Captain Starfish
    replied
    Erm

Leave a comment:

• Wilson
    replied
    Still pretty high, one would think.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Starfish
    replied
    As a percentage of population, though?

Leave a comment:

• Infusi0n
    replied
    Last year, nearly 73,500 people died in road accidents in China last year, or more than 200 fatalities per day, according to police statistics.
    Holy moly that is a fair amount of peeps!

Leave a comment:

• Barfridge
    replied
    Kids Oldies say do the darndest things

Leave a comment:

• Mex
    started a topic taking Road Safety into your own hands...

taking Road Safety into your own hands...

China 'road vigilante' a web hit: report

A retired teacher has become an unlikely Internet hit in China for throwing bricks at cars whose drivers were ignoring red lights at a dangerous crossing, state media reported on Monday.

The furious 74-year-old last week took up position on an intersection in Lanzhou, the capital of northwest Gansu province, and damaged more than 30 cars before he was stopped by police, the China Daily reported.

"I just wanted to catch people's attention and tell the drivers to think of pedestrians," the man said, according to the report.

The unnamed man's attacks drew wide support in Chinese cyberspace, with nearly 80 per cent of 400,000 respondents to an online poll backing him, the English-language paper said.

The ex-teacher became a campaigner for road safety after a pedestrian was killed near where he lived.

He successfully lobbied for traffic lights at the intersection, but drivers continued to ignore them, the report said, citing the Lanzhou Morning Post.

So on Thursday last, he started lobbing bricks at transgressors, and was joined by two other elderly men, while other people found them more bricks and brought water.

He had planned to keep up his vigilante attack for a week but was stopped by police after one day. He was interviewed and released without charge, the paper said.

The reports did not indicate whether any cars were seriously damaged or crashed after being hit.

China's roads are notoriously dangerous. Last year, nearly 73,500 people died in road accidents in China last year, or more than 200 fatalities per day, according to police statistics.
Working...
X