888 / Vodafone give big finger to Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 888 / Vodafone give big finger to Ford

Just heard on the news that 888 Racing / Vodafone ( Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup drivers ) are going to run Holdens from next year.

Now I'm not really a fan of that team, but good shit. Ford fucked them over by not giving them any money this year ( only teams with any Ford money are FPR and Stone Bros ), effectively saying ""yeah it's nice that you have won Bathurst for the last 3 years straight, are the current Driver's Champion (and team champions ? ), and have been the most consistant Ford car with both cars up the front the whole time for the last ~2-3 years, but we're not going to reward you for your hard work with any coin, we'll give it to someone else". Which is why this year there is no Ford badges / signage to be found anywhere on the 888 cars / uniforms / transporters etc. They said Ford aren't giving them any support so they won't give Ford any support, which is fair enough.

This is the second team in 3 years to dump Ford and go to Holden, BJR did it at the start of the 2008 season, after they had had I think it was 3 podiums at Bathurst in 3 years.

As far as I can make out, Ford have always been the less supportive manufacturer, which I think contributed a lot into the Holden dominance during the '90's. Ford now are only doing any good because of the expertise and skills of the teams running Fords, not because Ford actively support and help those teams.

As for each manufacturer's performance road car divisions, I don't know about Perth / Australia because I haven't been here long enough, but in NZ you see a shit load of HSV's on the road, but bugger all FPV's. One can't help but wonder if that is because of their lack of manufacturer support in the V8SCC. Holden have traditionally almost always had the bigger numbers on the spec sheet under "hp / kw" too, which no doubt helps. To my mind, Ford / FPV seem to be a bit conservative, whereas HSV go for it, and they get the sales as a result.

When TWR went tits up, Holden didn't want it's 2 premier teams ( HRT and Kmart at that time ) to go tits up either, so Holden themselves bought them to keep them going until new owners could be found ( which ended up with problems as a manufacturer couldn't be a team owner ). I didn't see Ford stepping up to the plate when it's oldest team in the ATCC / V8SCC ( DJR ) nearly went tits up.

So for the first time, I'm going to say "top job, Roland Dane". Take your sponsors and skills where they will be appreciated.
    Last edited by JAFA; 29-07-2009, 12:26 PM.
    BUY MY BIKE - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...1000rr-151241/

Cars?
    Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by JAFA View Post
      Words
      Great worded post mate. Must say I agree with you.
      Originally posted by Semi
      I ride slowly because I'm a massive faggot.

Comment

read that this morning ... guess i'll have to support Lowndes again

Comment

was thinkin that too viper

Comment

Guess I can stop supporting Lowndes and Whincup.

While I have always been a Ford man, the haven't done themselves any favours in racing in this country and their advertising is condescending and stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper View Post
              read that this morning ... guess i'll have to support Lowndes again
              Agreed! Cant wait to see lowndsie back in Red! Happy days, i can start watching V8's again.

Also: you hear the stig "Ben Collins" will be driving the enduros at Phillip Island and Bathurst for Kelly racking.
              Ben Collins confirmed for enduros - v8supercars.com.au

Comment

I am sure this will cause a massive explosion of (typical) blue vs red crapola all over car forums in australia. Personally I can see none of the technology in V8 super cars in any of the current model falcodores. I don't even know why they still race them get back to production imo. Then at least FPV vs HSV would mean something instead of the cars having no actual relationship to their race doppelgangers.

Comment

Originally posted by Infusi0n View Post
                  Personally I can see none of the technology in V8 super cars in any of the current model falcodores.
                  I see people say this kind of thing a lot on here, but isn't that the same as MotoGP vs street bikes?

Comment

Yeah but MotoGP and F1 are the world leading development classes so the technology does eventually trickle down to manufacturers cars.

Whereas V8 super cars is supposed to be a touring car class isn't it? Like World superbikes. If you have enough money based on the street version you can build something very close to the actual racing machine.

V8 supercars have an all aluminium monocoque which the street cars sure as shit don't.
                    Wes

Comment

Originally posted by likefry View Post
                      Yeah but MotoGP and F1 are the world leading development classes so the technology does eventually trickle down to manufacturers cars.
                      And this never happens for the V8's?

Comment

Can I ask WTF has come from F1 that has made it to a production car that is affordable to 90% of us here?

Certainly not open wheels or spoilers that actually provide more useful downforce than unwanted drag.

Comment

V8s started as a "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" production car type of series. There is nothing in the car now that translates to modern production cars, even down to Ford having to cutt a few millimetres off the length of the Falcon for so-called 'parity' issues.

Or something.

I'm not a huge fan of the V8s these days for that reason. Even the engines aren't sourced from production cars. We haven't had a 5.0l engine in a Facon or Commondore in years. That's why I like the V8 Brutes (the ute series) because they're mint, slide like fuck, smash, crash and hit each other and can be bought by Joe Public. And it's all done with a chip to make the power output similar and competitive.

While I can't say I'm happy to see Ford pull back in the V8SCC I can see why - Ford has seen that Australia is no longer a market dominated by the large family car and no longer gets the returns that it used to. The return on investment just isn't there anymore, sadly.

So Ford pulls back, saves money and loses little in lost sales of an already decreasing niche market. So what?
                          2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                          In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                          Amen, brother. Amen.
                          My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Originally posted by Bendito View Post
                            And this never happens for the V8's?
                            Uh because the current Ford (road) V8 has 'newer' technology than the V8 Supercar motor? ^_^

Comment

^^ this

This is why I'm off the series, and haven't really followed it for years now.
                              2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                              In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                              Amen, brother. Amen.
                              My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Working...
                              X