Michael Schumacher is back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Schumacher is back!

As if to underline that nothing is ever predictable in Formula One, Ferrari announced Wednesday evening that Michael Schumacher is to stand in for the injured Felipe Massa at the forthcoming Grand Prix in Valencia and beyond.

With Massa out of action due to the injuries sustained in qualification for the Hungarian Grand Prix and making a strong recovery, the rumour mill had been rife with speculation as to who would take over the F60 cockpit alongside Kimi Raikkonen as the Brazilian recuperates.

Indeed, no less than 13 drivers had been linked with the drive amongst reports that the 40-year old seven-time champion was not interested in resurrecting his career with the Italian champions.

"We have said before that it is possible that Michael Schumacher could return to help us out," head of communications Luca Colajanni said ahead of the official announcement.

Schumacher last competed in the sport in 2006 where he finished second to Fernando Alonso in the standings, having secured no less than seven victories to add to his tally of 91 wins.
    Click here to find out more!

"Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro intends to put Michael Schumacher in Felipe Massa's car until the Brazilian driver will be able to race again," the team stated.

"Michael Schumacher said he is ready and over the next few days will undertake a specific training programme at the end of which confirmation will be given of his participation in the championship with effect from the European Grand Prix on the 23rd of August."

A controversial figure despite his massive success in Formula One, Schumacher will be the centre of attention later this month as the series regroups following the summer break.
    I'm in two minds about this, i love Schumacher and can't wait to see him racing again but then again if it doesn't preform the media will have a field day with it

So who will be the Stig now? :?
    Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

Schumacher has never been the Stig, not even once. It was just a publicity stunt/decoy/red herring.

Even suited up they look nothing alike
      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

shoulda given a noname racer a chance instead... they're not going to win the series anyway...
        Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
        One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
        . .

Comment

its not about winning the series, is about saving face. It is also the best opinion as Schumacher and Massa are good friends.

Also it will keep all the Ferrari fans happy and im sure it will increase ticket sales at the remaining GP. Hopefully Schumacher can work some of his magic and bring the team back from what is a very bad season

Comment

sweet.... this may be one Grand Prix that I actually watch with interest

Comment

This is all good and everything but i don't expect much from him since the cars are so different from when he raced.

But he is a good driver so might be able to get upto pace after a couple of races
              Wes

Comment

I just caught myself typing "Well it's the obvious name that springs to mind".

Then I thought about it, and decided it might be best not to submit that sentence.
                For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

^Lucky you caught it in time
                  Insert witty comment here

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Tin View Post
                    sweet.... this may be one Grand Prix that I actually watch with interest
                    +1. I reacon he will be right on the money no worries. Hasn't he been "assisting with development and technical issues" since he stopped racing? I bet he's been to most test sessions and been in the seat more than most people think.
                    BUY MY BIKE - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...1000rr-151241/

Comment

I would be very surprised if he was on the pace straight away. He is the best driver ever but not competing in those cars at that level makes it impossible to keep that "edge" that racers need to really push it.

Then again, I kind of expect to be surprised.

Comment

Meh the car has been a bit of a dog this year, if nothing else it will make F1 watched again (they have had a big ratings slump)

Comment

I keep thinking back to Bayliss in Valencia a few years back...........
                          Can you help with foster care?
                          http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

this is great news. i always thought he should have stuck around for a few more years. he won the champoinship the year before he retired and his last season saw him challenge for it. would be interested to see the pace that he can get out of the Ferrari. i think he will struggle to win a race but i hope he can challenge for the top spots and see how he fairs against Vettel, Webber, Button and possibly the McLarens and Alonso if last weekend is anything to go by.

Comment

Originally posted by Veefore View Post
                              I would be very surprised if he was on the pace straight away. He is the best driver ever but not competing in those cars at that level makes it impossible to keep that "edge" that racers need to really push it.

Then again, I kind of expect to be surprised.

This.

Whilst he's an amazing driver, it wouldn't be the first time a former champion has left F1, returned, and been well off the pace.

Eg, Mansell....

The level of fitness he and other drivers maintain is incredible - if he's been in "retirement mode" for a couple of years, he's going to have a fair bit of catching up to do.

Depends how he's spent his retirement though...
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X