Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone offender locator

From here.

"All 50 states in the US require the 50,000 people convicted of sexual offenses to sign a register so that their whereabouts can be tracked and monitored. The Telegraph reports that now users of the iPhone Offender Locator application can search for sex offenders living nearby a friend or colleague whose address is stored in their Apple iPhone address book, or they can type in a street address to generate a list of convicted sex offenders in the local area. 'Offender Locator gives everyone the ability to find out if registered sex offenders live in their area,' says the application developer, ThinAir Wireless, on its iTunes page. 'Knowledge equals safety. They know where you and your family are...now it's time to turn the tables so that you know where they live and can make better decisions about where to allow your kids to play.' Offender Locator uses the iPhone's built-in GPS to pinpoint the user's location, and then provide a map listing sex offenders in the local area. Tapping on one of the 'pins' dropped on to the map brings up a photograph of the offender, as well as their address, date of birth and list of convictions."
    So people can plug in their GPS and go and find "Sex offenders" in their area.
    Talk about a breach of basic civil liberties and rights.

If you're a sex offender have you not forfeited your civil liberties and rights by violating someone else's civil liberties and rights?

Personally, I think I'd want to know that. Especially if I had kids.
    2006 Yamaha R1SP;
    In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
    Amen, brother. Amen.
    My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

The offenders on the list obviosly had no regard for other peoples civil liberties or rights.

Edit. WHS.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
        If you're a sex offender have you not forfeited your civil liberties and rights by violating someone else's civil liberties and rights?
        No.
        Originally posted by Melkor
        The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

Have they not been to Jail and served their time?
          Upon release should they not be deemed to have paid their penance to society?

Comment

Define 'sex offender'

Comment

Exactly, "Sex offender" and "Pedophile" are not mutually exclusive.
              Imagine you went out to a club, picked up a TOIGHT little hottie, then took her home and you both had filthy consensual monkey sex.
              Next day you find out she's 15.
              You get done, go to jail and serve your time.
              Do you deserve to have your details plastered everywhere so that anybody at any time can knock on your door and beat 7 shades out of you?

Comment

If they were dangerous, they'd be in gaol or at least, they should be.

I think it would suck to have eggs thrown at your house because you shagged a 15 year old you met at a night club and J. Q. Rapist keeps touching children when they release him.
                This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

I'm under the impression there is a register of (convicted) child sex offenders for Australia.
                  Not sure if its public.
                  Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

No, it's sex offenders full stop.
                    There is no delineation.

Comment

Does that include people caught having sex in public?
                      This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by IGS View Post
                        Define 'sex offender'
                        Without the smiley, this is the key point in the thread I think. The preservation of civil rights of offenders is definitely negotiable in the public mind, and one of the elements of reckoning is the nature of offence. Once upon a time Oscar Wilde was considered a sex offender for seducing a young man who was a willing participant; he would not be so considered in our era. An unrepentant rock spider is a different thing altogether - and there are a shitload of grey-shades between the two...

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                          Does that include people caught having a slash in public?
                          Ruh roh
                          Originally posted by Melkor
                          The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

I can't think of a justifiable reason to go about bashing sex offenders, but for those that do, I'd assume they wouldn't look too hard into the details once they see the red pin close by.

Comment

does the 17yo boy having sex with his 16yo GF get on the list if her parents dont like him?

Dubs

Comment

Working...
                              X