Right to Die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right to Die

A landmark decision in Western Australia's Supreme Court has given a Perth quadriplegic the right to refuse food from his care provider.
    Forty-nine-year-old Christian Rossiter was given the approval on the condition he understands the consequences of his actions.
    Perth quadriplegic wins landmark right to die - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Thank goodness common sense prevailed. Right?

Poll added.
    Yes - its my life that I'm ending - not yours
    69.44%
    No - everyone has trials and tribulations, just deal with it
    4.17%
    Yes - but only if your condition is going to end your life soon
    23.61%
    Yes - but only withdrawing of treatment - no drugs to accelarate the time or ease pain
    2.78%

Fair call, I don't see why he shouldn't have control over his life simply because he can't move.
    Originally posted by Amac
    suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

Just eat Maccas for a month.

S.
      Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

Originally posted by Lolly View Post
        Thank goodness common sense prevailed. Right?
        Indeed! Absolutely indeed! Very much the moral decision by and for the care provider, too...

Comment

Hey, I was sitting through that case.
          We had to stop for a while because he was in pain and needed painkillers. It was pretty sad to watch.

Although the press has sort of got it wrong.
          He wasn't given the right to 'refuse' food, he was given the right to revoke his consent for medical treatment.
          If they didn't have to feed him through a PEG tube it wouldn't be classified as medical treatment and they might not have allowed it.

Pretty great outcome though

Comment

If i ever get to a condition that is anywhere close to as bad as that, i would want to end my life as well.
            Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
            1985 - 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Aji View Post

Pretty great outcome though
              Doesn't seem a very good outcome to me.

If my cat was unwell to the point its quality of life was unsatisfactory with no hope of recovery, I wouldn't starve it to death.

If starving an animal to death would be considered cruel, how can it be a good outcome for a human?
              "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

What if that's what your cat wanted?

Besides, you can just put fluffy animals to sleep, we aren't allowed to do that to people. The man is incapable of committing suicide, so this is his only option to end his own life.

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
                  so this is his only option to end his own life.
                  That sums it up. Best outcome under the circumstances perhaps but not the best possible outcome.
                  "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

Originally posted by Spock View Post
                    That sums it up. Best outcome under the circumstances perhaps but not the best possible outcome.
                    Agreed.

Not a great way to go, will take a while...

Comment

Originally posted by Spock View Post
                      Doesn't seem a very good outcome to me.

If my cat was unwell to the point its quality of life was unsatisfactory with no hope of recovery, I wouldn't starve it to death.

If starving an animal to death would be considered cruel, how can it be a good outcome for a human?
                      It's what he wanted, and he's a grown man.
                      Plus, the law wasn't changed in any way to accommodate that. They merely clarified what the law meant, and it allows for him to refuse his food.
                      He'll be going on painkillers throughout the process, and he'll be able to change his mind if he gets halfway through and decides he wants to live. He'll also have to sit through a thorough explanation of the physiological effects of starving before he's permitted to make that choice.
                      I think it's important that he's given the choice, just as anyone else in the state who is physically capable can refuse medical treatment which will lead to their death.

Discriminating against a man of sound mind purely because he cannot forcibly pull a tube from his body seems more harsh to me.
                      But I'm sure it's a personal matter, and I don't expect anyone else to hold the same view as myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprint View Post
                        Just eat Maccas for a month.

S.
                        Cruel and unusual punishment, but would have the desired result!

Keep him well dosed up and R.I.P. bloke.
                        They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

This is the kind of thing i hate. It just think the whole because i am unhappy with my life i should die attitude is stupid its what forces things like suicide rates so high IMO.
                          Sure this guy has problems but not everyone sees that they just see a guy who gets to pretty much take his own life because he doesn't like it. We all have to deal with things we hate and being able to take your life because you dont like it is not how i think it should go.

Comment

anyone who says no really should try having a painfull and/or debilitating condition that leaves them with no quality of life and no chance of recuperation for a while. someone elses beliefs should have no bearing on someone in this situation's life
                            "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

+1 to this^

If both your legs work, you really don't know how this guy feels.

Comment

Working...
                              X