Winter diving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter diving

Well after trying all sorts of reg an BCD combos, I've finally bitten the bullet and bought my own kit. Ended up getting:

Oceanic Cruz BCD
    Oceanic GT3 reg
    Swivel Occy
    VT3 Wireless Air Intergrated Dive Compy (wrist mount)

And some new V8 fins for the hell of it to replace my old ones.

So, looking for some good winter dive sites now. I know theres plenty of divers on here. So where do you go and whats there to look at?

I've heard recently that the MV Target wreck is a decent dive thats not overly taxing.
    A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Congrats on the new gear

The weather has been pretty crap last few weeks for diving, but if your really keen to christen your gear you can always PM captain starfish about doing a river dive.

I'm not a big fan of river dives, especially in winter.

Will try and organise a psb dive event when things start to warm up a little.
    Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

OHAI FELLOW ORANGE PERSON!!!

I've been off with a cold for a week or four but hopefully this bastard will settle down and I'll get wet again next week.

My favourites at the moment?

1. The Coombe. There are "wrecks" there (ie sunken dinghies), it's a deeper dive, out to 24m or so, and it's piss easy navs.

2. Jerrat Dve Sea Scouts Hall. There's a barge with a marine environment, tricky navs (flat bed with a decent current running on most occasions I've been there, forces you to get _real_ good with your compass and fin count) but plenty of prawns.

3. Robb St Jetty (off CY O'Connor Beach) - pretty little site good for macro photography.

4. Ammo Jetty (Woodman Point) - as above but a little further south, a little nicer walk to the site with your gear, less chance of your car getting broken into than Robb St.

That's about it.
      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
        4. Ammo Jetty (Woodman Point) - as above but a little further south, a little nicer walk to the site with your gear, less chance of your car getting broken into than Robb St.
        I've heard little bits about this site. What sort of aquaculture thrives around there? I might go for a dive there on Sunday. ^_^
        A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Comment

Hmm, been a while so this is secondhand.

There are generally box fish/cow fish, octopus, the usual assortment of small fish (blennies etc), nudibranchs galore, sea cucumber, anemones, blowies, sea horses, occasionally a sea lion. LOTS of shit chucked in from the yobs on the jetty (including a shopping trolley which by all accounts is worth a close look).

If you dive this site, take two knives or line tools - one on your leg, one on your BC - there's a shitload of line hanging in the water. And try and stay under the jetty between the pylons, apparently some of the yobs have decided that throwing things at bubbles is a good game.
          "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
            If you dive this site, take two knives or line tools - one on your leg, one on your BC - there's a shitload of line hanging in the water.
            This is a good idea, I started keeping 2 knives after a dive (15 years ago) on the ASI groin where I got line tangled around my 1st stage reg.
            In trying to remove it I got myself tied up to the point where I couldn't reach my knife and all I could do was watch my buddy swimming off into the murk. I swear it was the longest minute or so of my life struggling and waiting for him to come back and cut me free.

I am intending to get back into diving this summer, getting fit again with Lolly, gear is going in for a service soon and tanks need to be re certified.
            Prolly need a new wetty too ...... coz ...... well ..... you know how they shrink when you leave them in the wardrobe

Bert
            It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

It's not happened to me before, BERT, but I've heard the stories and now make sure that I have both knives on for sites like that.

I want this cold GAWN now please, my gills are drying out. Going to do my instructors ticket before summer so may be able to throw up some offers for PSB cheap rates for their open water ticket.

Comment

Working...
              X