Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please - Sat Nav/ GPS device

Heya all,

Was hoping for some opinions on the best satnav to buy for our cage. Looking to spend less than $400, much prefer to spend less than $300

Only stipulation I have with the device is that its at least a 4" screen and not some shoddy crap ebay brand.

Anyone know of any deals going at the moment? Or simply which brand to choose - ive heard tomtom is better than NAVMAN?

Cheers for any help!
    I do not mean to pry, but you don't, by any chance, happen to have six fingers on your right hand?

I'll watch in on this, Andy has to get one in the next week or so for his outback adventure

Comment

i used to sell both tom tom and navman at my last job tom tom is good for your basic point to point gps navigation, though navman has the better updated maps and better features and larger screens
      A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

Comment

So what range or model navman do you recommend?

You think I shouldnt bother with garmin, nuvi or navigon?
        I do not mean to pry, but you don't, by any chance, happen to have six fingers on your right hand?

Comment

Magellan completely outclass the competition with the offroad stuff.. for onroad sat nav (ie audio cues etc) I don't think they do something for under $400 though. Worth a look anyway - Next Destination

Comment

i live in a black hole for those things!

everyone using one to get here gets turned back
            or is that a sign? do dodo dodo dooo
            whats wrong with a ubd and maps?:mellow:

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

UBD and travellers country atlas for WA total cost around $50 and a lifetime garentee on the batteries! Although if you do some overseas travelling GPS that speaks english is handy rather than struggling for directions.
              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

JB have a deal on the Navman my50t - looks interesting...

Comment

Could I also suggest taking a look at the lower priced Garmin Nuvis with the larger screen. I have used my 660 with great success around Australia & Europe.
                  The one really good thing about the Nuvi's is their ability to acquire satellites quickly & rapidly recalculate revised routes.
                  Garmin products used to be quite expensive a few years ago, but with increased competition the prices have come down considerably.
                  It certainly pays to do your own homework - Good Luck!
                  sigpic Avatar: Sunburnt Photography. Signature: Ozboy

Comment

I've used TomTom, Navman and Garmin in my own vehicles. The Garmin has been the best by far. Generally picks up satellite faster, more accurate with location of corners, and more options when setting destinations.

Comment

Garmin pretty much run the general aviation GPS market. Why? Cos they're reliable, fast and well priced for what they do. If I had a car, its what I'd be running.
                      A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                        Garmin pretty much run the general aviation GPS market. Why? Cos they're reliable, fast and well priced for what they do. If I had a car, its what I'd be running.
                        + 1. The marine ones are also highly regarded in the yacht, 'stink pots' & 'small craft' commercial sectors.

Comment

I've been doing a lot of looking at GPS recently.
                          For $300-400, I think you'll be lucky to get anything 'quality' IF you must have a 4" screen.
                          --edit: see below

My focus has been a bit different to yours, looking for something to do trailbike exploration, but I found this site: GPS Australia - powered by vBulletin
                          The owner of the forum has a shop (linked in top right) which is located in Midvale.
                          Prices seem to be about the best available in Australia and he knows his shit.

my bad, all my pricing research has been for offroad stuff.
                          Try this: Nuvi 1260 for $339, screen is 3.5"
                          Good thing is, the shop is local so you can go have a look.
                          That's the main hassle I found, places like 4WD/camping shops & Harvey Norman usually have only a very small range, even less on display, so if you want a 'tactile' look at one before you buy it's a bit hard.
                          Last edited by Mockery; 19-08-2009, 10:24 AM.
                          "No machine has a soul until a man shares his own with it."

Comment

i love my tom tom dont know how i did without one

its only a cheapy as well, i dont think you need to spend shit loads unless you want one with international maps
                            Originally posted by Bendito
                            If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mockery View Post
                              Try this: Nuvi 1260 for $339, screen is 3.5"
                              Good thing is, the shop is local so you can go have a look.
                              That's the main hassle I found, places like 4WD/camping shops & Harvey Norman usually have only a very small range, even less on display, so if you want a 'tactile' look at one before you buy it's a bit hard.
                              Just as a matter of interest Harvey Norman at Cottesloe have the top of the range Nuvi 760 (4.3" screen) in stock & quoted $440 a few days ago whilst I was making an enquiry for a colleague of mine . (This is the one which superseded the 660 which I have)

Comment

Working...
                              X