Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engagement rings

(no, not looking to buy )

Just wondering the legalities of them. If a couple get engaged, and it goes south, does the girl get to keep the ring? It's a gift right, so she keeps it?

I'm not that interested in 'moral' arguments more the legal, because there is a little more to the story than that.
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

You gave it to her, right??

So its hers....

Comment

Gift, she keeps it.

Comment

Yup, it's hers.

Only a complete douchebag would ever ask for it back.
        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Im not a lawyer but I would say its a gift, just like buying chocolate milk for someone.

Things may be a little different if its a defacto relationship.
          My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
            Yup, it's hers.

Only a complete douchebag would ever ask for it back.
            Not if she had been cheating behind your back, then you arent a douchebag.
            My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Just to clarify, I didn't give it to anyone. It's a friend.
              If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

I've seen a Judge Judy about this. She ruled that because he was still paying for the ring and because she had made the decision to call off the wedding, she should return the ring or pay for half of the debt.

He had paid for the ring on his credit card, asked her to marry him, she said yes, then later called it off. Further, she pawned the ring. He believed that she should cover some of the cost of the ring, Judge Judy agreed.
                This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

As above, except where it's a family heirloom or similar, with a lot of family importance and/or history. In that case the girl should have enough respect to hand it back and shouldn't have to be asked. If she's not going to be part of the family history then it doesn't belong to her.

Other than that, yeh, it's a gift - once given, can't be taken back.
                  2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                  In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                  Amen, brother. Amen.
                  My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Anyone know if you can legally get it back?

Morally everyone is going to say "its a gift".

Comment

There was a case recently (within the last year I believe) and the ring is the property of the guy.

Cant remember the exact specifics but something along the lines of the ring is similar to a contract to be married, dont get married, contract is void and ring returns to owner.
                      A man's dog can live on nothing but anger, the taste of its own balls and smaller dogs.

Comment

However if she called off the wedding, you would think she would of also of given it back, but yeah, generally its a gift, so she keeps it
                        Originally posted by Desmogod
                        Nobody was bagging scooters, they were bagging you.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDocker View Post
                          Cant remember the exact specifics but something along the lines of the ring is similar to a contract to be married, dont get married, contract is void and ring returns to owner.
                          This was the crux of the Judge Judy case.
                          This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Why would the girl want to retain the ring in the first place? I mean... wouldn't having it remind them of him, who is seemingly not worth remembering...? And you wouldn't continue wearing it anyway would you?

Is holding onto it more a "fuck you" to the bloke..?
                            Originally posted by Ferris
                            I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
                              As above, except where it's a family heirloom or similar, with a lot of family importance and/or history. In that case the girl should have enough respect to hand it back and shouldn't have to be asked. If she's not going to be part of the family history then it doesn't belong to her.

Other than that, yeh, it's a gift - once given, can't be taken back.
                              Spot on.

Comment

Working...
                              X