Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer help needed!

Hi All,

I have a HP laptop running on Vista home premium. In the past couple of days, each time it starts up it runs a disk check because of a file inconsistency. The scan never makes it past the second stage of 5. I back my stuff up each month.

everything still works fine (if you skip the scan), except the backing up. it will not allow a back up to finish. it will stop and report a catastophic failure.

Does anyone have any information that could help me, or know anyone who is in the biz?

Cheers in advance,

Dom

Any other output from chkdisk?
    What Vista service pack are you on?

I'd back up your stuff before going much further to a second external hard drive, as it could well be that your primary hard drive is on its way out - and/or your filesystem is quite corrupted, which means that every time you're saving stuff to it, its potentially clobbering other stuff stored on it.

Maybe try run chkdsk from the vista recovery console:
    Check Disk - chkdsk - Vista Forums

Boot from your installation cd and follow the directions... it could be that there is something wrong with chkdsk itself, or something within vista that it is dependent on.

I'd make sure you have a copy of anything important before running chkdsk /f - as although it will (supposedly) "fix" filesystem corruption, if your machine has been running like that for a while, it may destroy some of your data in the process...

edit:
    oh, one more thing... if you have massively long file/folder names, so that a particular files full path+filename exceeds 255 characters... don't.

I'm not sure if that will kill chkdsk, but it could be causing problems. it causes problems with backup software, and other stuff, i know that much.

how can you end up with files like that? If you have, for example a network share stored under say

c:\users\thro\desktop\sharedstuff

and it is shared on the network as say,

\\my-pc\shared (even more likely if that is in turn mapped as say drive "n:" on the other computer)

and someone puts the maximum length filename they're allowed in that folder over the network, it will allow them to create such a file from over the network (because \\my-pc\shared+filename = 255 characters, but the filename plus the local path > 255). yes, its a bit retarded and a bit of a bug...
    Last edited by thro; 25-08-2009, 05:20 PM.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

do you have any usb drives plugged in or only the Main hard drive?

If I leave my thumb drive in I get the same warning on startup.

If its you main hard disk, to be safe id just get a new drive. You can get a 1Tb sata for about $120

(\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

Comment

I would imagine SP1 it doesn't have any other info to the contrary.

The only usb is the wireless mouse.

Comment

what TRX said makes sense.

big hard drive = cheap now.

vista backup program = stupid (yay for windows 7 now allowing you to PICK what you want to back up properly again), but pretty painless.

so long as you have access to all your install media, I'd be backing up to external drive, spending a little while trying to sort it out, but failing that, format/reinstall/restore from backup.

sometimes, its the only way to be sure...
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Well, Vista is the first problem

As thro said, run chkdsk /r from the recovery console. If it fails there, you will need to do a surface scan. If that fails, you need to replace the HDD.
            '====
            //`
            -Magilla
            They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
            Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

Doesn't it tell you what file it has failed on?
              "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Not where I am looking.
                i am running a c:\>sfc/scannow as per a website i am following, i'll see what that returns.

Comment

that scan found corrupt files but was unable to fix them. details are in a file C:/windows/logs/cbs/cbs.logs - which when i try to open tells me that access is denied.

Comment

you need admin access
                    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

how do i get it?

Comment

go into the properties and add yourself with read access. You will probably need the admin password

or login to an admin account

Comment

What sort of file is it, if it is a system file that is borked you should be able to fixing it by repairing the installation, if it is a backed up file then delete it an replace with a backup.
                          DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.

Comment

Originally posted by dom View Post
                            how do i get it?
                            Find the Command Prompt in your programs menu (usually hiding in Accessories), right-click it, and select "Run As Administrator" (or whatever Vista calls it). Then run sfc /scannow from there. If it gives you the same error as before, it means that it's not a permissions issue, it's a file corruption, which can only be solved by chkdsk, a format, or a new harddrive.

Given that chkdsk fails during startup, it's safe enough to say that you do have a HDD corruption, and you're going to have to run chkdsk /R from the recovery console.

How to access the recovery console in Vista.

Select Command Prompt from the list.

From the command prompt, run chkdsk /?

This will show you the options available with chkdsk. You want to locate bad sectors and recover readable information. This is usually /R.

Run the correct command to do this (eg chkdsk /R).

It will tell you whether it is has performed extra checking and recovery, and either that the disk is fine (it will give you a nice report), or that the disk contains one or more unrecoverable errors. If it contains unrecoverable errors, I'll help you through running a surface scan.
                            '====
                            //`
                            -Magilla
                            They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
                            Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

Guys,

thanks for all your help so far. i have got someone coming to fix the problems. i am happy to leave it to a professional.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X