How to mount a GPS to a motorbike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to mount a GPS to a motorbike?

I found a tutorial on mounting a GPS to a sportsbike. Does anyone here bother riding with a GPS? Is it useful? Can you even use one with gloves on?
    '====
    //`
    -Magilla
    They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
    Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

I used a Tom Tom rider for a bit.
    Designed for use with gloves on, worked great and mounted it with a RAM mount.

Pretty useful if you don't know where you are going, like all GPS units. But not something I bother with anymore.
    If I'm going somewhere I don't know I'll do what I did before the Tom Tom... Look up a map and memorise it.

Comment

I cable tied mine on. Would have been nicer to be able to mount it a bit closer to my peripheral vision (windscreen), but looking down at the triple tree ain't so bad.
      Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

Definitely want to do this for riding around Melbourne

Comment

Cable tied a phone mount (GPS phone with TomTom) onto busa triple clamp, no worries at all. Hardwired a power line into the bike ignition too.

Very handy when touring or visiting a new house. Also can give a quick glimpse idea of what the road's about to do if you're on a new twisty road.
          "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Well I just bought a real cheapy and it has bluetooth so if SF or I can squeeze a bluetooth headset in the helmets it will talk you thru directions.
            Only has 2 hour battery life so will need to get a tutorial off you CS on the hard wiring.
            Large icon buttons so I guess it will work with gloves. Gunna go try it now.

Edit... Works a treat
            Sanity is Overrated

Comment

Power:
              1. get a car ciggy lighter adapter that fits and works with it.
              2. if you can't wire it, get SF to bring bike, charger and GPS over when he comes for the paint and we'll see what we can do.
              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                Power:
                2. if you can't wire it, get SF to bring bike, charger and GPS over when he comes for the paint and we'll see what we can do.
                Awesome... Well he didnt know I had bought it. I guess he does now .
                Will give it a go. What do you do for weather proofing?
                Sanity is Overrated

Comment

I put a plastic bag over mine if I think its gonna rain

Comment

Get either the Tom Tom Rider V2 or Garmin Zumo, they are designed specifically for MC's, are waterproof and designed to be able to be used with gloves on
                    I haven't got one yet but will be getting one shortly and have been doing a bit of research
                    Quite a few guys on various BB sites have them for longer distance rides, you can get various mounts from RAM including a mounts for the MC's and the centre of the triple clamp/steering stem although a few guys have made up mounts out of threaded rod that go through the steering stem
                    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                    Originally posted by Phildo
                    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                    Originally posted by filbert
                    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...ike-gps-57141/
                      sigpic
                      http://www.caschibye.it/page/curiosita.htm

Comment

Originally posted by shuboop View Post
                        Awesome... Well he didnt know I had bought it. I guess he does now .
                        Will give it a go. What do you do for weather proofing?
                        on the busa the triple clamp is shielded from the rain most of the time by the windscreen. If it's pissing down I'll either disconnect and put it in my pocket or, if I MUST use the GPS, I'll whack a non-lubed rubber over it.

Comment

I have my iPhone safely put away in my jacket pocket with in-ear headphones plugged in. I use the Sygic GPS (but it would work with TomTom etc). The turn-by-turn instructions are clear enough to accurately get me from A to B without problems. I also have my music playing in the background as an added benefit.

No need to have my GPS (iPhone) mounted or exposed to the elements.

SV

Comment

What about something like this?
                            DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                              Power:
                              Lol we did exactly the same thing.... Even down to where we put our GPS. Sigh...
                              Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

Working...
                              X