Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rules of Engagement - Previous Generation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules of Engagement - Previous Generation?

Just all this stuff in the media about schoolyard/street fights and shit has made me wonder - was it always this... vicious?

Was talking to my stepdad, and he said that back in his day (get off my lawn), most fights were a lot more tame - one someone was on the ground, that was pretty much it. You'd get the occasional vicious prick, or someone that carried and would use it, but generally it was just a bit of a punchup.

Just wondering if any old-timers feel like commenting? Has lack of consequence/discipline/whatever bred a whole heap of shit-nasty violent kids or was it just not as well publicised?
    Originally posted by Dragunov-21
    If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

I have nothing better to do until I get to the doctors later today but.... I think I"m going to regret this....(and I preface all of this by saying it's my opinion which I'm entitled to and opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one)
    I remember school, despite it being back in the dark ages, it wasn't as violent. I remember being a teenager, depsite it being just this side of the dark ages, it wasn't as violent. I remember being in my 20's (yeah yeah same comment about the dark ages) and being relatively safe at night in NorthBridge at Pinoc's and various other night clubs. I was never a member of a "gang" so I dont even know if they existed in the same form they do today but what is certain is nothing was as overt, uncontrolled, disrespectful or aggressive as life seems to be for todays youth and "younger" generations.
    There seems to have been a progressively increasing propensity for overt violence with a lack of control over the more aggressive tendencies of everyone...road rage springs to mind as a classic example. Road rage was practically unheard of when I started driving. I am not a sociologist so I wouldn't like to speculate on causes other than to say that it's unlikely there was a single causative factor or even a dozen causative factors; things are never that simple or uncomplicated.
    Z
    Raise your finger to fear and live in a moment of sublime horror.
    Ice Cruiser the daughter of a 1950's Hoon Stunta!!!

Comment

We need take a look at the Japanese society, they get respect drilled into them as one of the most important things in life.

There isnt much of a focus on respect in western society and its a shame.
      My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

The grass was always greener
        Young people always respected their elders
        Nothing bad ever happened in the world

For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by redfern View Post
          We need take a look at the Japanese society, they get respect drilled into them as one of the most important things in life.

+1 on "ZERO" respect shown from younger generation...

Comment

Originally posted by Zaffira View Post
            I have nothing better to do until I get to the doctors later today but.... I think I"m going to regret this....(and I preface all of this by saying it's my opinion which I'm entitled to and opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one)
            I remember school, despite it being back in the dark ages, it wasn't as violent. I remember being a teenager, depsite it being just this side of the dark ages, it wasn't as violent. I remember being in my 20's (yeah yeah same comment about the dark ages) and being relatively safe at night in NorthBridge at Pinoc's and various other night clubs. I was never a member of a "gang" so I dont even know if they existed in the same form they do today but what is certain is nothing was as overt, uncontrolled, disrespectful or aggressive as life seems to be for todays youth and "younger" generations.
            There seems to have been a progressively increasing propensity for overt violence with a lack of control over the more aggressive tendencies of everyone...road rage springs to mind as a classic example. Road rage was practically unheard of when I started driving. I am not a sociologist so I wouldn't like to speculate on causes other than to say that it's unlikely there was a single causative factor or even a dozen causative factors; things are never that simple or uncomplicated.
            Z

+1 . I've found since the communication revolution eg:mobile phones, worldwide TV things seem to be getting worse. There is less tolerance towards people because we all live in our own little world. We don't pick up the phone and talk, we text. I'm finding that although we are communicating more, it lacks that personal touch, the accents, lisps, mannerism, all gone when you're just staring at a computer screen or mobile phone. Sry just my 2c
            07 MV F41000R
            09 Blazing orange Speed Triple
            07 CBR 600RR trackbike
            sigpic http://www.ozspeedphotography.com/

Comment

Originally posted by redfern View Post

I agree with you there (respect), though I knew a japanese girl who moved to Australia with her mum and she basically treated her like a slave/servant (and the girl was convinced that she deserved all the yelling and shit because she still wasn't respectful enough etc). Not at all blanketing the society, god knows extreme problems are far worse, but I wonder how prevalent the abuse of that respect is.

Still better than the alternative, IMO.

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
              The grass was always greener
              Young people always respected their elders
              Nothing bad ever happened in the world

a la field of daises and sunshine and carebears?

(actually strike that, those things are fucking creepy)
              If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

I'm not a young man & it's my opinion that the violence was always there. I think there is some desensitisation due to violent movies and video games, but it has always happened. The media is now faster and more intent on sensationalist headlines.

My first year of high school, I had only been in highschool a short time (maybe a month or 2) some kids threw another kid off the 1st floor balcony head first. Last day of year 10 one of the kids had a broken leg, he beat a teacher half to death with his crutches.

Bert
                It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
                Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

was never that bad.

i blame shit like gangster rap combined with parenting by PLAYSTATION.

either one on its own wouldn't be too bad, but looking up to violent fuckheads whilst having zero parental input = recipe for disaster.

ditto for the little kinder-whores you see these days, again looking up to bimbos like britney and having parents who couldn't give a fuck.
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I blame it on over legislation. People are less and less free to do what they want to do, think how they want to think. Instead of a continuous vent, people are more likely to snap.
                    We can't smoke, can't give the car some stick, can't have our music up too loud and are looked over by an inefficient and unbalanced legal system. This tension created in adults surely filters down to the younger generation.

Comment

^^ Legislation is half the problem! It's gotten to the point where it exists where there should be no need for legislation in the first place, because enough people decided that it was ok to do stupid things to others' detriment.

At some point, we lost our ability to self-moderate. People have stopped realising that just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

There are times when all the things you mentioned are no problem, and there are other times when a polite/respectful person would not do them, because it poorly affects other peoples' lives.

Now it seems people don't care whether or not they're being assholes/dangerous/whatever.

So now, the legislators try to go around closing all the loopholes with absolute legal statements, so that people CAN'T.

And I think that may be a part of this problem - the legal system protects kids from severe punishment under the guise of recognising their reduced responsibility, so kids exploit it.

Comment

People are a lot more angry these days. Everywhere.
                        You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

^^So, anyone up for Fight Club?

Comment

You don't need to beat someone senceless as a child to teach them respect. All you have to do is teach them a sence of society and the fact that we are all part of that society. Unfortuanelty, half our population, young and old, think they are the centre of the universe and couldn't give a fuck how their actions affected other people.
                            One of the contributing factors to this is our softcock welfare system. Too many examples of lazy pieces of shit who are quite happy to cruise through life expecting everything to be handed to them. To make matters worse these fuckstains breed like rabbits and produce a litter of little crabs who grow up thinking being a parasitic leech on society is the normal way to live.
                            We have always had problems in Australia because of this, but obviously with new media reporting things a little faster than they used to, it seems as if it is something new.
                            Fix the Welfare and make people accountable for their own lives and that will go someways to fixing a few of our issues.
                            Can you help with foster care?
                            http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Nothing new under the sun. I went to a meeting some time ago at my boys primary school that was under threat of being shut. One of the fathers got up to tell the boffins about overcrowding schoolyards and mentioned how the school was once overcrowded with little sport and play areas (his father attended the school at the time), during a schoolyard fight a boy was stabbed. This occured in nineteen forty seven. The school then appropriated more land for sports and play, which to this day is being sought by developers and is constantly being resisted by the school and parents.
                              They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Working...
                              X