Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile phone use banned for young drivers

Originally posted by PerthNow
    YOUNG drivers will be banned from any use of a mobile phone will driving under new laws coming into force in South Australia from Monday.

Acting Minister for Road Safety Paul Caica says Learner and P1 platers will not be able to use any of the hands-free technology that other drivers can still legally use while behind the wheel.

"From Monday, the only time a mobile phone can be used in a road vehicle being driven by a Learner or P1 licence holder is once they have pulled over and parked safely," he said.

He said such bans were already in place in Victoria, Queensland and NSW.

"When you talk or text on a mobile phone, you can't effectively concentrate on driving and your risk of being involved in a crash increases by up to four times," Mr Caica said.

"The need to concentrate is particularly important for young, inexperienced drivers who are still developing their driving capabilities."

Drivers caught breaking the new law will face a fine of $218 and three demerit points.
    Only just saw this and didn't even know about it in Vic already.

Sounds like another band-aid fix for the road toll...surely only a matter of time before it's implemented here.

I can see the logic behind it. Limiting distractions to new drivers etc, but I disagree with it, simply because it's just another case of slowly eroding our rights and privelidges in this country.

Next it will be no talking on a hands free for any driver.
    Originally posted by Amac
    suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

"From Monday, the only time a mobile phone can be used in a road vehicle being driven by a Learner or P1 licence holder is once they have pulled over and parked safely," he said.
    Cue even more fucking idiots pulling onto the hard shoulder for that "emergency" call.

Comment

Hahaha. I bet it's a worse distraction to all the oldies that don't even know how to operate them properly.

"Hmmm ummm arhhh let me just takes a looksy here and see why it may not be working"

*crosses onto other side of road*

Comment

I thought it was illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving regardless ...
        I love two strokes. Because they annoy the shit out of people. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by PerthNow View Post
          YOUNG drivers will be banned from any use of a mobile phone will driving
          :mellow:

Originally posted by Melkor
          The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

Nar you can use handsfree kits - it's the whole reason it was implemented, otherwise what's the point, if you're parked you have your hands free.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratos View Post
              I thought it was illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving regardless ...
              No handsfree kits mate
              Originally posted by Melkor
              The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

But if you have it on speakerphone and hold it below the level of the window its legal.....!! Isnt it?? Well everyone else does it so it must be!
                They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Now they just need to apply the same rule to the rest of the blind, brainless fuckwits out there.
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

how can using a handsfree kit be different from using the phone??

I still have to spend time finding the persons name in my phone or dial the number and i'm still talking on the fucking thing????

Comment

Should be banned for everyone unless you have a proper car-kit installed. Think about it you cant use it on your bike unless you have a bluetooth headset and even then you limited to really only receiving calls*.

Considering most drivers young and old find it difficult to drive when not on call limiting the use to a proper car-kit not a headset (bluetooth or cable) should be law.

* unless you have uber tech phone with voice dial

This opinion is not taking into consideration the amount of studies out there that have proven just talking on the phone slows reaction times down
                      spudda : Got mine in my hot little hands today barfy. Your a gem!

Comment

I wonder how they came up with a $218 fine....

Comment

Probably $200 + costs, victims of crime etc.

Comment

Soon enough they will ban people from talking inside cars.

Soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Xuaxace View Post
                              Soon enough they will ban people from talking inside cars.

Soon...
                              It would be good in Taxis
                              spudda : Got mine in my hot little hands today barfy. Your a gem!

Comment

Working...
                              X