Salt Water Pool - Pro's n Con's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt Water Pool - Pro's n Con's

Thinking about converting my pool to Salt Chlorinated.

Would be good to hear peoples opinions and thoughts...

Pool is 86,000L and currently uses a Chemigem Auto Chlorinator/Acid.
    Looking at a Hurlcon VX11T good for 42gms output of Chlorine an hour..

I have one, and it's great - but I can't really see any advantage over a Chemigem system. If you do get one, make sure you get a self-cleaning unit.
    "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

IMO a lot better on the skin. doesn't burn your eyes and is supposedly cheaper for chemicals. We have had 2 salt and one chlorine pool. never again the chlorine...

Comment

Originally posted by Sventek View Post
        I have one, and it's great - but I can't really see any advantage over a Chemigem system. If you do get one, make sure you get a self-cleaning unit.

OK, the old Chemigem is in need of bits and pieces.

I have already replaced one distribution block and nearly fell over on the price!!

Do you find the water better to swim in?

Many articles on the net show good advantages but dont list to many
        disadvantages....

Comment

I hate swimming in chlorine pools, salt is much nicer. But if it doesnt bother you/fiends/family, stay with the chlorine.
          If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

I dont have a clue but I can give a plus 1 for is awesomeness.

Also get one of those solar roof panel heaters, my mate has one and his pool is always beautiful even in colder months its still not bad.
            My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Well, there's still as much chlorine in the pool (all it does is strip the sodium out of the salt, leaving chloride), but you do notice the salt in the pool when you swallow some. TBH, I don't recall much of a difference in the water when we had it installed.
              "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone...

Pool will be for my parents to use, the idea of the Salt Chlorinator
                will hopefully make it easier for them.

Comment

My parents have a salt one. It's chock full of awesomeness. No headaches and sore eyes.
                  Can you help with foster care?
                  http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Originally posted by Sventek View Post
                    Well, there's still as much chlorine in the pool (all it does is strip the sodium out of the salt, leaving chloride), but you do notice the salt in the pool when you swallow some. TBH, I don't recall much of a difference in the water when we had it installed.
                    The difference is that you don't put straight sodium hypochloride in the pool, which i think is the cause of the red eyes and headaches. I definately notice the difference in my eyes, might be because my eyes are a bit sensitive to it.
                    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Salt +1.

Don't own a pool, but definitely prefer the salt pools over chlorine for reactions and relaxing in.

Also, +1 to roof heating panels, or even the blanket, because being able to swim at 6am in the morning before work and roll back the blanket at an old house and it still be 25-30 degrees is AWESOME.

Comment

we have had salt for nearly 3 yrs now with a self cleaning salt chlorinator, I reckon its unbeatable very low maintenance just clean the baskets of leaves etc.

Comment

As already mentioned, the salt produces chlorine. If you have the chlorinator up too high you will have the same problems as if you put to much chlorine in a chlorinated pool.

We have a saltwater pool, with a self-cleaning chlorinator. It's a breeze to look after. Before getting this pool we had a blow up one that we put up for the kids during summer. Our current pool requires a lot less maintenance than the old blow-up one, simple as that.

Comment

Salt water pools us a chlorinator to turn the salt solution into chlorine by passing an electric charge through a cell,thus topping up the chlorine levels in the pool.You do however still have to add Sodium hypo chloride (HYPO) to the pool too get the levels of free chlorine up and to super chlorinate
                            The idea is its cheaper to us salt then having to top up HYPO daily.
                            Torbs

Comment

My parents converted from a chemigem chlorine system to a salt chlorinated pool a few years back...

Was much easier to maintain and I noticed a LOT less irritation when swimming, would definately recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                              X