Synchromesh Gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synchromesh Gearbox

Got my HR permit today and of to do the driving lessons tomorrow. Is the synchromesh gearbox the most common gearbox found in trucks these days? When booking the lesson was asked if I wasnted to learn the synchromesh....I just said yes (had no fkn idea) is this the way to go? Is it harder or easier than open double clutching?
    Originally posted by Red_is_Best
    hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Would have thought the scope for HR would include all
    types of transmissions??

Comment

Well I think this driving school does both.
      hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

Yes, but make sure they teach you to double clutch.

Comment

OK so I perhaps should first learn to drive a double clutch gearbox before synchromesh Jim?

Comment

What Desmo said. The crash-box isn't too common these days in rigids but there are still a few around and you will need to know how to handle one.
            I wouldn't be surprised if double de-clutching is a requirement of the practical test anyway, it certainly was when I did mine.

Comment

The new national truck classes are divided into three categories Auto Synchro and Crash. To be able to drive anything in the class you will need to do crash most busses and light trucks (5 tonne isuzu's avalible from thrifty and the like) will be auto or synchro. They usually don't like you double clutching synchro boxes as it usually [email protected]#$s them. You can problly get away with synchro if all you intend to drive is reasonbly modern stuff. If you are into vintage trucks or buses or intend to borrow your nieghbours farm truck every now and then you will need crash.
              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastgirl View Post
                OK so I perhaps should first learn to drive a double clutch gearbox before synchromesh Jim?
                No, double clutch is the action of releasing the clutch in between selecting gears. This can be done on both boxes, it's not a TYPE of box.
                2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                Amen, brother. Amen.
                My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

ohhh ok. Noob truck driver here.

Comment

Practical driving assessments for heavy vehicles
                    What are you assessed on?

The practical assessments are thorough and cover a wide variety of heavy vehicle driving skills. For example, you will be expected to demonstrate proper use of both external mirrors. Drivers of trucks and heavy combination vehicles may be required to check the security of spare wheels, air lines and electrical connections, and ensure that any load is fastened correctly. Drivers of articulated vehicles will be required to demonstrate how to couple and uncouple semi-trailers.

You will also be asked to drive a manual gear change vehicle using the double de-clutch method. You can take the test in a vehicle with an automatic or synchromesh gearbox, but you will be issued with a licence that restricts you to driving those types of vehicles.

All driving tests must be conducted in a vehicle that meets the minimum vehicle assessment standards for the relevant class. For example, a HR practical test must be done in a vehicle that has 3 or more axles and a gross vehicle mass exceeding 15 tonnes and must be loaded to have a minimum on-road mass of 16 tonnes.

Applicants who fail the practical driving test must re-book and pay for another assessment.

Comment

Double clutching is the bomb! Soooo ... Do you heel toe much when driving a crashbox truck?
                      I love two strokes. Because they annoy the shit out of people. ^_^

Comment

Wish work would allow me to drive trucks

Comment

Do the HR Open license. This is using a Road Ranger type gearbox that requires double de clutch. This will allow you to drive all class of HR.
                          Synchro is a single clutch the same as your car and wont let you drive all class just synchro and auto.

Comment

I would love to be able to drive a truck for shits-and-giggles.

Is the cost of getting a permit, lessons etc alot more than for a bike or car?
                            Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by HIHO View Post
                              Do the HR Open license. This is using a Road Ranger type gearbox that requires double de clutch. This will allow you to drive all class of HR.
                              Synchro is a single clutch the same as your car and wont let you drive all class just synchro and auto.
                              WHS
                              I am doing lessons ATM for open HR and using the road ranger type.
                              It is not that hard once you get used to it.
                              The lessons are about $90 ea and I am doing them with Makene's school.
                              They are in Malaga 9249 5127
                              Most people need between 5-10 lessons according to them.
                              Hope fully i will do a couple more and Pass

Comment

Working...
                              X