Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycling from Joondalup to Perth

Hello,

So I'm not allowed to legally operate road vehicles for a while. Fair enough. So I look to my pushie and I ask it:

"How long will it take me to ride you to Perth from Joondalup? What's the journey like?"

Of course, being an inanimate object and with a tendency to shut people out when it doesn't know the answer to a question, I get no response.

So I turn to the wonderful people of PSB. Who's done the ride from Joondalup to Perth on a bicycle? How long does it take? Is it a fairly straight-forward track? A lot of the way on the Freeway I can see the cycle path but sometimes it disappears, I thought it was just a nice long direct cycle path but it seems to cross over the Freeway everynow and then? Cheers.
    Originally posted by Koola
    Someone sig this.

If the pushy is too much for you, why not one like MattyA's???

Is Craigie near Joodalup??

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
      If the pushy is too much for you, why not one like MattyA's???

Is Craigie near Joodalup??
      Meh, it's close enough One train station away. I'd like to do it for the fitness aspect, although I'm very tempted to go ahead a whack a motor in it ^_^

Just wanna know how long it takes so I know what time to take off in the morning to get to work for 9.30
      Someone sig this.

Comment

given that you could easily achieve 20 - 27km/h...I'm saying 1hr - 1hr 15 minutes
        Originally posted by Viper
        I'm probably fucking something up.
        FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
        Administrator

Comment

Well I did it on a shitty mountain bike with treadded tires in 1 hour hour but if you've got a decent pushy and nice road tyres you should be able to do it in under an hour
          anything fits with a run up

Comment

Originally posted by FJ Steve View Post
            given that you could easily achieve 20 - 27km/h...I'm saying 1hr - 1hr 15 minutes
            Originally posted by willy_109 View Post
            Well I did it on a shitty mountain bike with treadded tires in 1 hour hour but if you've got a decent pushy and nice road tyres you should be able to do it in under an hour
            I've got a mountain bike with treaded tyres, might look into getting something with nice road tyres though, makes a massive difference

Seems like the ride won't take as long as I thought, which is good. Currently it takes me about an hour on public transport/walking anyways!
            Someone sig this.

Comment

Riding that long everyday will get you fit in no time man! Its a pretty serious trek to be doing 2x every day
              ZippySig.com

Comment

It's not as straight forward as you'd think.

You can go from Shenton, past Ocean Reef Rd for 1500m, then you're in suburban streets until you cross the footbridge at Greenwood Train station. You're then into the section I call the annoying hills. It's a stretch of path that will run you down a 100m hill, very high speed, then require you to chicane around someone's fence, slowing right down, before climbing the same size hill on the other side.

It's like that until around about Ried Hwy when it gets flat, for the most part, besides a whopping hill you'll soar down after the trailer park (didn't know we had one).

You'll have to cross the road again after Karrinyup road, travel around the Stirling suburbs a bit, but it's reasonably well marked. You come out the gardens on the other side and then back beside the freeway again until crossing at Hutton st (most people I see cross at the bridge before Hutton).

That's my usual ride into work, I'm not sure on the details of the rest of the way to Perth, I've only done it a half dozen or so times, ending up by that Church in Northbridge.

It's going to take longer than an hour to get to Perth. It takes me about an hour to get to Osbourne Park, going reasonably cruisy.

***If you guys know of a more direct way in, please share it.
                This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                  It's going to take longer than an hour to get to Perth.
                  depends how fit you are
                  anything fits with a run up

Comment

Thanks Taylor that's a good description. It certainly doesn't seem like a straight-forward journer! I can tell from the Freeway the "annoying hills" section. Are you mainly on the east or west side of the Freeway?
                    Someone sig this.

Comment

Perth Bicycle Network
                      That might help ya

Comment

The hilly section that Taylor refers to is just after Warwick Road and through Beach. Last time I went through the the path wasn't in bad nick but that could have changed (and it won't bother you anyway if you take the mountain bike).

After you get past Hutton you'll cross over Scarborough Beach Road and you can either cross over the Glendalough bridge (taking you down the east side of the freeway) or continue down and cross over the bridge next to Lake Monger. Cross over again at Loftus Street and jump back onto the bike path after you go over the Fremantle train line. Follow that path through and you'll go past Harbour Town and come out next to Perth Arena.

I suppose you end up on the east/west side pretty much evenly. It's a pretty sheltered ride too, once the wind comes out there's only a couple of places you'll cop it.

Comment

Thanks Trepidious! I'm tempted to do this tomorrow morning but might give it a cruisy practice run on the weekend to check times For some bizarre reason I'm actually looking forward to it.
                          Someone sig this.

Comment

Depending on your bike and pace I'd say roughly 60-80 min.
                            Path is not great, but reasonable.
                            Can do the freeway bike hike (belmont park to joondalup) in less than 1hr, but thats all smooth and no stops for lights.
                            Best to do a test on a w/end first.
                            Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Just curious mate, did you do it?

And if you did, how long did it take from Craigie?

Comment

Working...
                              X