Anyone live in the hills? Kalamunda/Gooseberry Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone live in the hills? Kalamunda/Gooseberry Hill

The wife and I are thinking of moving out where we can get a huge block in preparation for kiddies.
    Anyone living out there, whats it like? Much hassle travelling? Fuel prices going to kill me heading in to town?
    Crime?
    Crackheads?
    Public transport?
    Noise?

Appreciate any thoughts.
    im a holding, stroking, loving machine...also spanking

There are houses up there mate, so presumably someone lives there

I lived in Kalamunda for a few years.

Pros - quiet, peaceful little village in the forest feel. Not _too_ far from the city. Generally a good community.

Cons - hermitdom awaits. Just you try and catch a cab home from town after a night on the piss. Property values fluctuate wildly up there. Your kids will grow up with ADHD or you at least will start diagnosing them with it anyway. NO-ONE will bother coming to visit you because "it's just too far away", and you will forget what the beach looks like.

Yes, walking through a bigger block on a crisp but foggy morning is absolutely beautiful - but it comes at a price.
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

All my friends from that area are batty hippies but I love 'em anyways. Be prepared for batty hippiness from the kiddies if you're out there for the long haul.

Edit: when they grow up get older they will then instinctively migrate to Fremantle. This is the way of all things.
      Originally posted by Koola
      Someone sig this.

Comment

Dyno.

I have lived in Lesmurdie since my family moved to perth. That was nearly 13 years ago. THe hills is a fantastic place to live. As with other suburbs, there are trouble spots, but they are not very large, and there isn't much MAJOR crime.

It is very peaceful, no traffic lights, and depending what time you head to the city the travel time is minimal.

I am hopefully looking to buy my own home in the enxt 5 or so years, and the hills will certainly be the first place I look.

As CS has said, sometimes it is a little pricey up here, but you get the small country town feel, for a 15-20 min drive from the city.

If you work in the city, you'll have to commute there, but if it the "shopping" you're looking at, midland and cannington, also belmont to a lesser extent are only 10 minutes away at best.

the Mrs. and I currently live in Morley, and I am seriously fiending to get back up the hill.

Comment

I live in the hills (Hovea) on 5 acres...and for me and my family...its the bloody best place to be. Its a luxury to give your kids space and freedom to roam around and play like kids should if given half a chance. None of my kids sit on their arses inside on a computer or mumble how bored they are. Building cubbies and riding their motorbikes and exploring nature is what my kids are doing most of the time. We live near the John Forrest National Park and get our treddlies out and go for a ride most weekends. And animals...bloody heaps of them...dogs/chickens and more to come...ponies for the kids (god help me)...I wouldnt have it any other way personally. And no crime where I am....if there is some you know about it pretty quickley. I suppose the thieves cant be bothered travelling out here hahahahah!
          Originally posted by Red_is_Best
          hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
            Your kids will grow up with ADHD or you at least will start diagnosing them with it anyway.
            You know starfish there are times when you come across as a complete and utter moron..and guess what...now is another time.
            hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

just sold my house in the area, as the capt said, no one will end up visiting cause your too far away...and yea, 45 dollar taxi rides to/from perth aint fun either when u wanna go out
              :starwars:

Well, aren't we just a ray of fucking sunshine?

Comment

No body visits us at the moment anyway because they all live SOR. Atwell etc. The new suburbs down there. I'll be about the same distance anyway I think.
                Or maybe we are just a couple of no-mates.....

What about broadband? I need my high speed net.

Comment

You'll find even when you put on free food hardly anyone visits

Transport is the biggest grrrr, so depends on if you buy near a bus stop oh and if the buses run early and often.

Not sure I'd actaully buy up here (Stoneville) myself though, it isn't bad when it's just you (couple) or when the kids are small, but would be a real ball ache when they are older and want to get around and do things other than country hick things. Nothing worse than trying to have to give up some of your stuff just to drive them around, not that I begrudge that it's just not good time management.

One of the ginger beers here has moved out past Roleystone and is mighty glad the kids are getting near driving age.

Broadband - depends on where you go, one of the guys on here built out the end of Stoneville Rd near Gidgy and can't get it

Um maybe no one visits cos you have Inglewood in your profile and when they find you aren't as close as they thought, then they bail

Comment

Originally posted by Dyno View Post
                    No body visits us at the moment anyway because they all live SOR. Atwell etc. The new suburbs down there. I'll be about the same distance anyway I think.
                    Or maybe we are just a couple of no-mates.....

What about broadband? I need my high speed net.
                    I have it...but check with the agent/telstra on any prospective property if its available.

Comment

all excahnges in kala, gooseberry hill and lesmurdie are DSL2+ enabled through iiNet.
                      Last edited by MottBoxx; 23-09-2009, 12:34 PM.

Comment

sweet.
                        what are the primary schools like? Kalamunda Primary and Mary's Mount.

i just wonder if fuel prices keep rising, which i believe they certainly will, how affordable it will be to live out there.... then again im not sure where I will be commuting to anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyno View Post
                          sweet.
                          what are the primary schools like? Kalamunda Primary and Mary's Mount.

i just wonder if fuel prices keep rising, which i believe they certainly will, how affordable it will be to live out there.... then again im not sure where I will be commuting to anyway.
                          can't comment on Kala, cos I live in Lesmurdie. I have heard nothing but good things about mary's mount however. I went to highschool with a few boys from MM, and they were pretty smart kids.

If you can afford, or want private schooling. You can always try St. Brigids pirmary school. Great, school awesome facilities.

Comment

Its like anything...you have to comprimise some things. We accept we have to travel a bit to live where we live...but to me..not having to worry to much about crime...having the tranquility and freedom for the kids...and a great little school nearby...is all worth it and we are use to the travel. Hubby uses train into town for work...doesnt have to worry about peak hour traffic.

Comment

fastgirl is pretty much hitting the nail on the head.

Without soudning like an eliteist, the lifestyle of living up here is vastly different to being down on the flats.

Comment

Working...
                              X