Was I ripped off? ( New radiator)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was I ripped off? ( New radiator)

Today my car radiator blew and I hastily called around until I got someone who could come out and fix it ( even though its Grand Final Day) He drove from Mt Helena to Craigie which is where I live.
    The car's a Ford Falcon Late 2002 XL AU Ute, 6 cylinder.
    It took the guy around 70 minutes to install it as the car was previously involved in an accident and the front end had been pushed in. I watched him the whole time and he certainly struggled somewhat.

Anyway he charged me $480 for the ADRAD radiator, 150 for labour and 60 for coolant.
    With the warranty, the policy is dated 2002. Don't know if I should be concerned about that?

Just wondering if I got totally shafted and if there's a way I can recoup some of my money if I did. I thought I would ask this question here as you lot seem to be very mechanically knowledgable. I'm not very good with cars at all :-)

Price isnt to bad considering the circumstances.

Warranty on what???

Comment

Warranty on the radiator. ( material and workmanship)

Comment

Still think price aint to bad...

Curious to know why your radiator leaked????

Comment

i'm suprised you found someone to come out and fix it at any price.....
          And no, i'm not joking
          Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

GF day or not, If you have to rely on outsiders to do work for you'll always be shafted.
            Next time you get someone to do something for you watch and learn so you can do it yourself next time.
            But the price seems ok as I think I paid $180 for a new radiator for my EL a few years back. Though saved by fitting it myself.
            Jap Bike Show Presents for 2012:
            Blue Haze Ride II
            - Sunday 25th November 2012

March 2013 - 6th Jap Bike Show, Celebrating the "2 Stroke Era"

Details at: www.japbikeshow.com.au

Comment

Sorry re read your post. Thought $480 was for the whole job.
              Sorry, u waz Pineappled.
              Jap Bike Show Presents for 2012:
              Blue Haze Ride II
              - Sunday 25th November 2012

March 2013 - 6th Jap Bike Show, Celebrating the "2 Stroke Era"

Details at: www.japbikeshow.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
                i'm suprised you found someone to come out and fix it at any price.....
                And no, i'm not joking
                Yes, and he missed the last half of the game too. Guess I kinda owed him for that :-)

The radiator's been leaking for some time but its been minor up until yesterday. I put some metallic stopleak into it but it didn't do the trick. When he took the radiator out he showed me the leak and it had certainly gotten bigger. It wasn't until today that it was really pissing out after I returned from the shops. Luckily I only went down the street as the temp guage didn't raise until I had come back and was already reversing up the drive. It didn't overheat but there was next to no water left in the radiator when I checked on it 2 hours later.

Comment

I dont understand. You called a mechanic that had to drive a long way to fix your car on a Saturday Arvo. It took him about the 1hr to fit plus the time it took him to drive to you and back. So you where in such a rush to have it fixed and them want to complain about the price afterwards. He also had to go and get the parts I'm guessing. So he put a mark up on the parts and so he should.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooboy View Post
                    Sorry, u waz Pineappled.
                    Sounds like fair price for a rush job on a Saturday arvo.

Comment

I don't understand how you would ask for a quote, agree and get the work done, pay the man, and then ask some people on the internet if you could possibly get some of your money back.

If you include the time to go pick up the radiator, drive for 1hr 15mins (from google maps) to get to your house, and then drive that same amount of time to get home, you did pretty well. ~$100/hr is standard mechanic rates, so if you include an extra 3 hrs travelling time, the radiator itself only cost $180.
                      FTP

Comment

I'm not complaining bud, just wanted to know what you guys thought as you know more than me.
                        I'm clueless when it comes to cars and obviously I didn't got such a bad deal after all considering the circumstances that you pointed out.
                        Thanks for that and enjoy the rest of the long weekend!

Comment

no, hour labour (time 1/2) on a Saturday surprised you were not charged more

Comment

ah the old weather warming up, car overheating syndrome. its just a little leak on those colder winter days...
                            IM ALWAYS ON THE EDGE, ITS ONLY THE SHARPNESS THAT VARYS

Comment

I was bringing home a new corsair 620 psu for my computer too to power my new geforce 275. Pretty expensive day all up :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X